Open bank account with 30 day stamp

LongTimeLurker

The general bank rule is no Thai bank account on a shorter term stay. Some individual bank manangers are more flexible to improve their customer base. But you will need a rental contract to prove you address in Thailand and a phone call to the bank from your landlord might help smooth the way.

5 hours ago, LivinginKata said:

The general bank rule is no Thai bank account on a shorter term stay. Some individual bank manangers are more flexible to improve their customer base. But you will need a rental contract to prove you address in Thailand and a phone call to the bank from your landlord might help smooth the way.

Bangkok Bank allows you to open an account with just a 60 day tourist visa.

1 hour ago, LongTimeLurker said:

To convert to the Non-O visa for retirement

Try different banks and branches, especially Bangkok and Kasikorn banks. If no luck, go and get a nonO from Thai embassy or consulate, and open the account with that.

Banks gave me grief years ago when trying to open an account with a nonimmigrant O-A visa. They want a work permit. I showed them right on my visa; "employment prohibited." Then they thought my visa was only good for three months. No, I have three months from the issue date to enter Thailand, look at my entry stamp, it's good for a year. After conversations with the manager they finally gave me an account... It seems as though they are rather clueless what to do if you don't have a work permit in my experiences. But I managed to open three accounts over the years.

Here's a thread about converting a 30 day permit to stay upon entry to an O. You must have at least 15 days left on it. http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/938526-convert-visa-exempt-entry-to-non-o-do-bank-documents-really-need-to-be-dated-the-same-day/#comment-11064717

Edited by Jimi007

4 minutes ago, Jimi007 said:

Here's a thread about converting a 30 day permit to stay upon entry to an O-A. You must have at least 15 days left on

It is NOT possible to 'convert' anything to an O-A visa in Thailand. O-A visas can only be obtained from a persons home country or country of legal residence.

It is, however,  possible to convert from a visa exempt entry or tourist visa entry to a 90 day Non "O" entry but only if the financial requirements for a subsequent extension of stay can be met.

4 minutes ago, Fithman said:

It is NOT possible to 'convert' anything to an O-A visa in Thailand. O-A visas can only be obtained from a persons home country or country of legal residence.

It is, however,  possible to convert from a visa exempt entry or tourist visa entry to a 90 day Non "O" entry but only if the financial requirements for a subsequent extension of stay can be met.

Yes you are correct. Then convert the O to a one year stay based on retirement. Do you know if that can be done in Phuket or do you have to go to Bangkok?

Edited by Jimi007

1 minute ago, Jimi007 said:

Yes you are correct. Then convert the O to a one year stay based on retirement.

The "O" is not converted to anything !  Once used a single entry Non "O" visa is used and of no further use. If an "O" visa 'conversion is obtained in Thailand -- it is immediately stamped "USED". 

The stay permitted by the "O" visa is extended on application if other, including financial requirements, can be met.

21 minutes ago, Fithman said:

The "O" is not converted to anything !  Once used a single entry Non "O" visa is used and of no further use. If an "O" visa 'conversion is obtained in Thailand -- it is immediately stamped "USED". 

The stay permitted by the "O" visa is extended on application if other, including financial requirements, can be met.

I understand that part. My question that remains is; can that "O" be obtained in Phuket or only in BKK?

19 minutes ago, Jimi007 said:

I understand that part. My question that remains is; can that "O" be obtained in Phuket or only in BKK?

Phuket used to do the conversion but I do not know if they still can.

If they cannot it might be easier to obtain the visa from Penang rather than making two trips to Bangkok from Phuket.

3 minutes ago, Fithman said:

Phuket used to do the conversion but I do not know if they still can.

If they cannot it might be easier to obtain the visa from Penang rather than making two trips to Bangkok from Phuket.

Thanks! I think I'll get an "O" in California before I leave, then get a one year extension after 60 days in Phuket. My current 1 year extension expires in December and I'm not sure I'll be back by then. We're still dealing with US Immigration for my wife's new resident card that we applied for back in February! And I thought Thai Immigration was bad! Ha! This living in two countries has some drawbacks and loads of paperwork! And then there's the paperwork for our dog!

Sorry for derailing the OP's thread, but I thought he may want to know as it sounded like his intent is to try to get an "O" in Phuket from a 30 exempt entry.

13 hours ago, Jimi007 said:

Banks gave me grief years ago when trying to open an account with a nonimmigrant O-A visa. They want a work permit. I showed them right on my visa; "employment prohibited." Then they thought my visa was only good for three months. No, I have three months from the issue date to enter Thailand, look at my entry stamp, it's good for a year. After conversations with the manager they finally gave me an account... It seems as though they are rather clueless what to do if you don't have a work permit in my experiences. But I managed to open three accounts over the years.

Here's a thread about converting a 30 day permit to stay upon entry to an O. You must have at least 15 days left on it. http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/938526-convert-visa-exempt-entry-to-non-o-do-bank-documents-really-need-to-be-dated-the-same-day/#comment-11064717

I've had the same problems with banks not knowing the regulations down the years.

Even you have an existing account at a branch they won't let you open another account without a work permit!

2 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Satisfying the financial requirements has to be demonstrated at the time of applying in the Embassy for the non-O?

Yes !  

800,000 Bht in a Thai Bank or 65K/month income certified by your Embassy.

10 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

But as you can't open a bank account in Thailand before applying for the non-O it makes it impossible to get the visa!

You have to show income or money in bank, does not have to be verified or in Thai bank.

Check on TV visa forum.

On 10/10/2016 at 11:21 AM, LongTimeLurker said:

Thanks for the answers guys.

Interesting that the Bangkok Bank website says nothing about needing a work permit, but most banks refuse to open an account if you don't have one, even you have an existing account with them!

Rubbish-I have had accounts with Kasikorn, Bangkok Bank and SCB in the past and never held a work permit.

I did find it easiest to open a Kasikorn account, that was on a tourist visa IIRC.

8 minutes ago, Psimbo said:

Rubbish-I have had accounts with Kasikorn, Bangkok Bank and SCB in the past and never held a work permit.

I did find it easiest to open a Kasikorn account, that was on a tourist visa IIRC.

Things have changed in the last 12 months regarding foreigners opening bank accounts.

2 minutes ago, Ronuk said:

Things have changed in the last 12 months regarding foreigners opening bank accounts.

My son, visiting with a visa exempt entry last July,  opened an account with the bank my wife and I use without problem or difficulty.

1 minute ago, Fithman said:

My son, visiting with a visa exempt entry last July,  opened an account with the bank my wife and I use without problem or difficulty.

I'm sure they are still a few occasional exceptions. Fact is, the vast majority are now being asked for a wp and or a long term visa which without, it is very difficult to open an account. That also includes those that already have accounts.

Just now, Ronuk said:

I'm sure they are still a few occasional exceptions. Fact is, the vast majority are now being asked for a wp and or a long term visa which without, it is very difficult to open an account. That also includes those that already have accounts.

If you say so but I do not share your experience.  Perhaps the banks are looking for "quality" customers ?:smile: