Samui suffering severe water shortage, say officials

rooster59

Here in Plai Laem there is very little governement water at the moment. And if you live a few meters above the mainroad level the pressure is so low that there is not even a trickle coming out of the pipe. Since about 3 days we did not get any water here.

Hope the rain starts soon....

Cheers, Carlos

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, samuijimmy said:

Last time we had long power shortage lasting days was in 2010.... since a new line has been put in and electric is much more stable these days. 

yes it was a while ago....however if electricity is so stable why is it always off periodically,shit jimmy i lived there too..9 years in all and no matter where you live the power is always going off.

2 minutes ago, samuibeachcomber said:

yes it was a while ago....however if electricity is so stable why is it always off periodically,shit jimmy i lived there too..9 years in all and no matter where you live the power is always going off.

Well I guess you lived in the wrong areas  because where I have lived on Samui , over the years, it's a very rare event for the electric to be off! 

Anyway this topic is about water, and at least we are getting somewhere, with locals posting rather than trolls from wherever ...

17 hours ago, samuijimmy said:

Still waiting to hear from people who actually live here to say they have no water.... None seem to have appeared yet, and I know there are members all around the island who would say "we have no water"!

I leave in Bang Khao and have no water , and I can confirm the water reservoir of namueng is empty.

18 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Usual Thai mentality, build, build, build with no infrastructure to keep up...
90% of profit goes into the arse pocket with 10% into the locality.
Should be the other way around!

I just want to add something in this conversation. Everybody complains about lack of forethought of thai people , thai mentality , for example to spray water to avoid dust in front of their home or shop . Maybe you are right , but what do you think of those hundreds of swimming pools in private villas owning not by thai people but by farang !!!! this is one point .

And what do you think of our way to deal with water in Europe , like pooping in drinking water and wasting so many CM for cleaning our cars ....and so and so ...

What do you think of the damming and diverting of the colorado ,... and Las Vegas , a city in a desert ...

So many examples all around the world 

We even no collect raining  water , this is completely a huge aberration.Such practices  are the result of  a supposed smart population and government , So are thai people so stupid you 'd like to describe ... I don't think so .

That's our way of living , wasting water , wasting everything .... so no judgment will more adequate .

28 minutes ago, sabpoussin said:

I leave in Bang Khao and have no water , and I can confirm the water reservoir of namueng is empty.

Last time I was down it your area, (perhaps a month ago) they were laying large water pipes along the highway, towards Lamai, that obviously means something is being done... despite the negative views of some who say nothing is being done to improve infrastructure.

There are many examples around the island... .

Let's hope rain starts soon! 

54 minutes ago, samuijimmy said:

Last time I was down it your area, (perhaps a month ago) they were laying large water pipes along the highway, towards Lamai, that obviously means something is being done... despite the negative views of some who say nothing is being done to improve infrastructure.

There are many examples around the island... .

Let's hope rain starts soon! 

The large water pipes you seem were probably for the new university getting built near baan saket. The uni paid several million to put them in to get their own water supply, so I guess everyone else in that area will suffer but uni gets all they want !!

1 hour ago, ronaldo0 said:

The large water pipes you seem were probably for the new university getting built near baan saket. The uni paid several million to put them in to get their own water supply, so I guess everyone else in that area will suffer but uni gets all they want !!

No...it's for water from the mainland as mentioned earlier. The holding tank/pump station they are building is about 500mtr from where I live.

I ride up in the hills quite often and all the streams are running up there, so hopefully the aquifers are getting fed. We have had next to no rain in the south of the island for over four months so that's probably why the reservoir has dried up.

A friend who lives just up the road from me (Ban Khao) has had no government water now for four days.

Now we are getting somewhere with information from Samui residences...:thumbsup:

Not get off topic, I had not seen or heard of the new Uni on the south end.... perhaps a topic for another thread, another positive thing happening on the island..

We need more positive news which is around, but rarely posted and discussed ! :smile:

On ‎08‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 11:40 AM, samuijimmy said:

At least we have the rainy season almost about to start... 

Strange no one has posted about water shortages in recent times..... many of us have wells, mine certainly has not been a problem...

Anyone experiencing  water shortages around Samui ? 

Lot of the non deep wells no longer function Jim. So much water has been and is being sucked out of the ground that the water table has dropped.

Friend who has a restaurant in town (Lamai) has not had water for a couple of weeks now.

In Lamai the goverment water is switched on for a few h each second day. Been like this for the last 3+ weeks. Preasure is superlow so you need to find a low laying outsource. No water in the sinktaps but the hose for a**spray works when remove the nozzle. Then fill up all the buckets you can untill its shut down . Yes its bad but atleast we have water.

Bad thing is that i heard that watersuply might be permantly shut until rain comes.

Seems like more a problem on the  East and SE and south sides of Samui,  great that we are getting some sensible answers now, even though it's not good for some of you.. 

My well is not that deep, but not run out yet... (Ban Por) my neighbours all seem OK with water, we are all watering our gardens!  

Will be glad seeing rain to save doing that! (Everyone has their own shallow wells,) 

Koh Samui running low on tap water

BANGKOK, 10 September 2016 (NNT) - Provincial Waterworks Authority (PWA) Governor Seree Supratid visited a popular tourist island of Koh Samui after he was informed that there was not enough water available to produce tap water. 

Mr. Seree was joined by Surat Thani Governor Uaychai Innak and other local government officials during his trip to the island. They first visited Pru Kajood Reservoir, where the water level had dropped significantly after several months of no precipitation, in Lipa Noi district. 

Water trucks have been deployed to provide clean water for household consumption as the reservoir only has enough to produce tap water for the next 10 days. The PWA Governor also joined a meeting with hoteliers and other relevant agencies to discuss issue. 

For a short-term solution, a reverse osmosis water filter will be used to convert saltwater to freshwater. The machine is able to produce up to 300 cubic meters of tap water per hour. A cloud seeding operation is expected to be carried out over the island in the hope of generating more rain. 

Koh Samui will however have a constant supply of fresh water from the mainland next year when the construction of an undersea pipe is completed. Mr. Seree urged local residents and tourists to conserve and use water more efficiently for the time being. The PWA is now working with other related agencies to ensure there is enough water for homes and businesses. 

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2016-10-10

The Government is limiting water supply pretty much everywhere on the Island.

They just turn of the tap randomly in areas all over the island.

I know this first hand as I am on the island !

It's pretty much the same as with the electric. Power outages are a regular thing on Koh Samui

in pretty much every area. Main power goes off about 3 to 5 times every week in the 

Bangrak area.

Who ever says it's not happening is not living on the island !

We had quite some rain over the last 2 month so the problem is not missing rainfall but

over-consumption. When it rains the water drains of way too fast so that the ground water

does not recover any more. That's why quite many deep wells run dry.

Water trucks are running all day so it's obvious that many people don't have water from tap or wells.

The whole problem could be solved quite easily with some rain gutters and water tanks especially

for resorts and hotels. 

For villas it would be even more easy as 10,000 liters of water storage brings you a long way

and with a normal sized roof you would never run out of water.

Blaming everything on the Government is just BS.

I removed a negative comment from  non Samui resident.... .

As for rainfall and electric outages, it varies around the Island... 

Some areas got more rain than others.  Rarely enough so far to add too the reservoirs etc.

As for electric, some areas (no one ever says which areas have constant outages,) I know my area does not have much problem with outages.

Water supply between FV and beyond Choeng Mon is very hit and miss. Govt water used to be turned on overnight twice a week but the lack of info left many running dry. We've had no such probs since moving to a place with a well in Maenam. 

There was enough rain over the last 2 month all over Samui.

It's a consumption problem.

The Island is wasting too much water and water capture from the main storage systems is not on the level to keep up with

the consumption.

No matter how much it rains, if the output is larger than the input then over time you run dry - pretty simple maths really.

2 hours ago, samuijimmy said:

As for rainfall and electric outages, it varies around the Island... 

Some areas got more rain than others.  Rarely enough so far to add too the reservoirs etc.

The Lamai area has the lowest annual rainfall on Samui due to the hills at the rear. Rain-bearing nimbos clouds come from the south and skirt the area which is pretty handy given there is not much infrastructure to deal with it. I would argue that the sparseness is not lack of investment but rather that the area simply does not need it.  Used to be a huge swamp between the lady boxing on the beach road and the ring road behind. It would dry out during the summer so come rainy season you had a huge sponge should there be a serious deluge. Most of it is now built upon but this is by the by since we are talking about lack of rain water rather than an excess of it.

I was away for a short while over the summer and got back late August. It has rained maybe half a dozen times since and only once for longer than 30-40 minutes. The lagoon, last I saw a couple of weeks back, is little more than a wide damp patch of silt and mud and I've not seen that since I came here in '99. 2009 (2010?) was bad because we didn't get the post songkran rains but the lagoon did not go because the stream feeding it (from inland) was still flowing. There is little more than a trickle at the moment even before the little pumping station that supplies a number of local tankers. That means that there is little water inland either which is a worry for the farming communities. It is often these (old) communities that have shallow wells that are now finding it hard to even supply local domestic use never mind agriculture use.

As an aside. Samui grown Rambutan are really bad this year and not because they have been picked too early alone.

Rambutans are not a

climacteric fruit — that is, they ripen only on the tree and appear not to produce a ripening agent such as the plant hormone, ethylene, after being harvested

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rambutan

The fruit requires a lot of water at regular intervals and there has simply not been enough in the last 6 weeks or so.

Jim would recognise this as where he took the picture of the monitor lizard a couple of years back though it was to the left walking over a bridge. The third picture above is one of the females and was not swimming along. The first picture makes me quite sad as it used to have 42 Rambutan trees on the ground at front. The second picture is after the 'pumping station'  looking toward the beach from the bridge near Lamai temple It was silt and mud but now has enough water to allow a monitor lizard to act like a lungfish to get over it. Not walking, not swimming.

I live right at the back of Lamai, close to the valley and not far from an earlier point in the stream. It's a light stream to say the least. These 'guys' downstream are sucking up that which would otherwise be wasted Taking the dregs just before it will became seawater. Speaking of seawater....

SAM_3070.JPG

For a short-term solution, a reverse osmosis water filter will be used to convert saltwater to freshwater. The machine is able to produce up to 300 cubic meters of tap water per hour.

Here is a bit from 2010 (MIT) that came true.

Safe drinking water is usually in short supply in the wake of natural disasters like the earthquake in Haiti or Hurricane Katrina. In disaster zones near the ocean, converting salty seawater to potable fresh water seems like a no-brainer, but this usually requires large-scale desalination plants and plenty of dependable electrical power–neither of which was available in Haiti or New Orleans.

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/419441/portable-desalination/

Would certainly be a help but they are still very very power hungry  Oh hell. Someone told me earlier that there will be an island wide power cut due tomorrow. Hope it is untrue.

And when there is no rain at the water source?

Our SWRO systems make water for less than 6 baht a 1000 liters.

We have them on Koh Tao, Samui, Phuket, off shore oil platforms.

We export systems to 28 countries around the world.

Initial cost is high but going down due to improved membranes and improved pump technology.

There is no water shortage.......period.

Well at least that is the conclusion I came to when I got off the ferry in Nathon last evening and had to drive past the municipal workers cleaning out the road drains in Nathon with tanker after tanker of water. Now no sane government would do this when there is no water in the taps for Mr and Mrs Somchai!

Therefore I am forced to conclude that there is more than sufficient water and the reason for the outages must be above my pay grade.

Confused as usual.

The deep wells seem to be OK ^ it's the dug out wells and the reservoirs that have been a problem ... My well  dropped enough a few days ago, for about half a day with no water, but has been OK since..

Last night, there was a good down pour for over an hour in Ban Por, I have heard other areas such as Lamai, Lipa Noi and Nathon are starting to get some rain, perhaps the start of the rainy season is here? That would be good! :thumbsup:

Southern Lamai we got heavy rain on Friday evening. Since then, light rain.

No government water for more than 2 weeks (we are on a small hill), we rely on clean water service every 3 days and save as much as we can. At the street level, the laundry lady explained that some days she has no water (and then is closed...). Same in Lamai center, friends having a restaurant have not had any water during a few days.

We pray for rain :-)

20 hours ago, Can samui said:

There is no water shortage.......period.

Well at least that is the conclusion I came to when I got off the ferry in Nathon last evening and had to drive past the municipal workers cleaning out the road drains in Nathon with tanker after tanker of water. Now no sane government would do this when there is no water in the taps for Mr and Mrs Somchai!

Therefore I am forced to conclude that there is more than sufficient water and the reason for the outages must be above my pay grade.

Confused as usual.

And you are sure the didn't use sea water? (genuine question)

Archived