Samui suffering severe water shortage, say officials

rooster59

Samui suffering severe water shortage, say officials

samui.PNG
Image: Daily News

KOH SAMUI:-- While much of the central and northern parts of Thailand worry about flooding Koh Samui is suffering a severe shortage of water.

The situation is so bad that two of the islands five filtration plants are set to shut down because there is no water for them to process into mains water.

The Na Muang plant was shut down yesterday and the Hon Lat plant will cease operations on Tuesday.

Factories in desperate need of fresh water will be looking to use processed sea water to avoid losses.

Local municipal chief Ramnet Jaikwang called on everyone to use water economically on the island to avoid exacerbating the crisis.

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2016-10-08

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, sahibji said:

this takes long time planning for results. many a time we ignore early signs and end up in a crisis.

The first tourists arrived on samui in the 1970s - they then permitted unrestricted, unregulated and corrupt development - I think they've had enough time.

The unchecked development continues . Water sewage and trash are at the crisis point throughout the tourist areas. In any western country there would be a moratorium on development, yet it continues and is encouraged by Thai officials. 

I have no pity words to add to this ongoing environmental disaster. 

For those who are interested this is information I have been given.

Water from the PWA comes from five sources.
1) Chaweng Lake providing 3,000 cbm per day
2) Hua Thanon Lake providing 6,000 cbm per day
3) Namuang Waterfall providing 10,800 cbm per day
4) Lipa Noi RO Plant providing between 2,400 and 4,800 cbm per day
5) Plai Laem Desalination plant providing up to 3,000 cbm per day.

A new undersea pipe line has been laid from the main land
and the PWA are in the process of extending their network around the island. Completion of this is planned for
2017 and it will then produce 1,000 cbm/hour.

Whilst many will say this is too late (for this year at least) it does show that there has been forward planning but big projects like this take time to fund and implement.

well now they have somewhere to put all that trash thats been building up. i lived on samui when i first moved to thailand 10 years ago and i really liked it. i did not like chewang so much but lamai was especially good.  now i am not in such a hurry to go back. have to wonder if many people collect their rainwater.

35 minutes ago, SamuiRes said:

and the PWA are in the process of extending their network around the island. Completion of this is planned for

Whilst many will say this is too late (for this year at least) it does show that there has been forward planning but big projects like this take time to fund and implement.

I don't see this as forethought at all - I see it as a late reaction to a crisis they had already created.

BTW - I love your figures - but they are of course completely useless until they are compared and analysed in relation to figures that portray the rates of use, consumption and waste on the islands as well as balancing all this against the effect this is having on the land and marine environments of the island.

Who is kdding who!! This water shortage is a result of years of bad planning and abysmal infrastructure management. Pipes that leak more waer than reaches the destination and no planning for future needs. The new pipe;ine from the mainland. will NOT be enough and eveyone knows it

The current situaion is that, down at sea level, in a busy urban envirnoment, we are getting a trickle of water every two/three days - not even enough pressure to power a hot shower. Then whole days without ANY water at all

A few years ago when Samui suffered its electricity blackouts, it became a national scandal with action from Bangkok

why is no-one taking any notice of the water problem?

3 minutes ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

well now they have somewhere to put all that trash thats been building up. i lived on samui when i first moved to thailand 10 years ago and i really liked it. i did not like chewang so much but lamai was especially good.  now i am not in such a hurry to go back. have to wonder if many people collect their rainwater.

10 years ago everything was very different....less traffic,less expats living and working on Samui and infrastructure has not kept pace.

It's basically a ruined island for those of long standing..for those who have just arrived they would n't know any different.Apart from the lack of water...the refuse is the main problem.Every year,sometimes on a daily basis electricity is cut for hours,leaving no power or water.I can remember 1 year being without power for 3 days.

I am no longer living there and where i do live power and water just are n't an issue.......plenty of everything,good roads,friendly locals and a good immigration office...no more BS from Nathon office/mae nam office....everything above board.

45 minutes ago, SamuiRes said:

With all the tourist bahts flowing in here and the key word is take time to fund. Big projects require projecting needs thereof. Now there is the stumbling block and also the tourist dollars diverted to other things. Before you reap yea must sow. 

2 minutes ago, samuibeachcomber said:

10 years ago everything was very different....less traffic,less expats living and working on Samui and infrastructure has not kept pace.

It's basically a ruined island for those of long standing..for those who have just arrived they would n't know any different.Apart from the lack of water...the refuse is the main problem.Every year,sometimes on a daily basis electricity is cut for hours,leaving no power or water.I can remember 1 year being without power for 3 days.

I am no longer living there and where i do live power and water just are n't an issue.......plenty of everything,good roads,friendly locals and a good immigration office...no more BS from Nathon office/mae nam office....everything above board.

think the more remote parts of samui with rain water collection and a small solar power back unit would still be ok.  quite like the idea of semi-off grid living on an island. 

Looks like my village's reservoir.  We were on water rationing before the end of last year's rain season, maybe 2 hours a day, low pressure, water was brown/green, terrible smell.  Then it went to every other day, then once a week, then virtually no water service to speak of the last 6 months.

Just now, williamgeorgeallen said:

think the more remote parts of samui with rain water collection and a small solar power back unit would still be ok.  quite like the idea of semi-off grid living on an island. 

last time i drove around talign nam more resorts and private dwelling was going up.

21 minutes ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

water is more important than oil. should be charging more for it.

In the future wars will be fought over water...not oil.

Of course we should charge for water - but does that mean that fresh water is not a basic human right?

Re- Samui...if we charge for the water the cost will be handed on to the tourist.....Probably a good idea....unless you're a tourist on Samui?

7 minutes ago, cumgranosalum said:

In the future wars will be fought over water...not oil.

Of course we should charge for water - but does that mean that fresh water is not a basic human right?

Re- Samui...if we charge for the water the cost will be handed on to the tourist.....Probably a good idea....unless you're a tourist on Samui?

treated water costs money along with the infrastructure to deliver it costs money. the cost of the water needs to reflect those costs plus the scarcity of it.  australia built several billion dollar coal fired desalinization plants rather than put the price of water up to ensure it was used more efficiently. resources need to be priced to reflect their true cost.

42 minutes ago, samuibeachcomber said:

power cuts for 3 days at a time? dam, dont like the sound of that. at least a truck load of water can be purchased. are people putting in solar?

1 minute ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

power cuts for 3 days at a time? dam, dont like the sound of that. at least a truck load of water can be purchased. are people putting in solar?

Last time we had long power shortage lasting days was in 2010.... since a new line has been put in and electric is much more stable these days. 

At least we have the rainy season almost about to start... 

Strange no one has posted about water shortages in recent times..... many of us have wells, mine certainly has not been a problem...

Anyone experiencing  water shortages around Samui ? 

29 minutes ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

treated water costs money along with the infrastructure to deliver it costs money. the cost of the water needs to reflect those costs plus the scarcity of it.  australia built several billion dollar coal fired desalinization plants rather than put the price of water up to ensure it was used more efficiently. resources need to be priced to reflect their true cost.

Well most of what you say is pretty obvious - but if you think utilities around the world reflect their true cost, you going to be in for a shock.

6 minutes ago, samuijimmy said:

At least we have the rainy season almost about to start... 

Strange no one has posted about water shortages in recent times..... many of us have wells, mine certainly has not been a problem...

Anyone experiencing  water shortages around Samui ? 

...and where does the water in the wells come from?

Archived