Still pay money in Phuket Immigration

nasa123

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have not ridden a horse for over 40 years. Over  my 20 years experience officers have 'caved' when asking me for various 'extra' fees on CoR, 90 day report, and even on my first one year extension. I just pointed to my (then) 500 baht receipt, he threw my passport at me (with the one year stamp).  On the other free papers they have tried to show me a fee scale fo a completely different service. I politely point out I was not asking for the service. They fold.

Many people feel weak to admitting that they freely pay for a free service, Instead they post how they Stand up to immigration officers and refuse, I don't believe it for one minute, when someone posts a video of themselves showing this refusal then and only then will I believe it!!

On ‎10‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 1:32 PM, LivinginKata said:

That's exactly right - they are looking for the mugs that will pay. And those mugs just perpetuate the problem.

There are two ways of looking at this.

1. The mugs who pay perpetuate the problem,

2.  Immigration own the game, the home ground advantage, are apparently not refereed, thus    allowing them to make up their own rules as they go along, and, they control something we all rely on for our continued existence here. 

I'm of the opinion that the few who refuse to pay the small "illegal" fees are making it more difficult for the rest of us.

In retaliation against those who have successfully cut off one of their perks, they continually invent new tasks, forms, pictures, etc., for all, making this formerly simple task more difficult.

I now have to pay my bank more money because Immigration require a statement as well as the letter and bankbook copies.  In recent years I, and my wife, have travelled to and from the Immigration office many more times than was necessary previously, costing time, fuel, and in my case, pain and suffering.

This type of corruption is endemic to the culture of Thailand. As a retiree my crusading days are over, I'm not interested in trying to change the traditions of my adopted country by railing against minor corruption (That's something they need to fix themselves). I was quite happy to pay small sums to get the task done.  There is no country on the planet free of corruption, including the home countries of the indignant people on this forum.

The next time livinginkata needs the free certificate that he says he refuses to pay for maybe we could be there at the same time and see him in action, of course he pays the fee!!

people that say they refuse to pay but do pay to look big are bigger mugs than the honest people that freely admit they pay!!

6 minutes ago, Badrabbit said:

The next time livinginkata needs the free certificate that he says he refuses to pay for maybe we could be there at the same time and see him in action, of course he pays the fee!!

I have no reason to disbelieve his statements.

I have no reason to disbelieve his statements.

We need to see evidence of refusing to pay as this would benefit people who feel the need to pay because of not wanting to cause themselves a problem down the line, if I saw actual evidence it would give me the confidence to follow! for now I'm happy not to cause myself a potential problem by paying the small fee!

I've never given a tip to an immigration officer for doing their job. I've been asked, but just laughed and joked with the officer, tip in Thai means a kick in the ass. The same guy has been doing my retirement extensions for at least 10 years, I don't get asked for a tip anymore. He knows me and my wife. I always ask how his kids are and all the stamps are in my passport in a matter of minutes. Then the computer photo and back the next day to pick up my passport and wait around to get my re-entry permit.

The head of Phuket Immigration stated in a news article recently that there is no charge for certain services, like a resident certificate. I suppose if you don't speak any Thai, you pay. I've seen plenty of people giving 500 Baht tips, usually they are dressed inappropriately and can't speak a lick of Thai and they don't get any faster or better service than I do. Just follow the rules...

9 minutes ago, Jimi007 said:

I've never given a tip to an immigration officer for doing their job. I've been asked, but just laughed and joked with the officer, tip in Thai means a kick in the ass. The same guy has been doing my retirement extensions for at least 10 years, I don't get asked for a tip anymore. He knows me and my wife. I always ask how his kids are and all the stamps are in my passport in a matter of minutes. Then the computer photo and back the next day to pick up my passport and wait around to get my re-entry permit.

The head of Phuket Immigration stated in a news article recently that there is no charge for certain services, like a resident certificate. I suppose if you don't speak any Thai, you pay. I've seen plenty of people giving 500 Baht tips, usually they are dressed inappropriately and can't speak a lick of Thai and they don't get any faster or better service than I do. Just follow the rules...

The previous head of Immigration said the same thing, he was booted out when proven wrong.

1 hour ago, Badrabbit said:

We need to see evidence of refusing to pay as this would benefit people who feel the need to pay because of not wanting to cause themselves a problem down the line, if I saw actual evidence it would give me the confidence to follow! for now I'm happy not to cause myself a potential problem by paying the small fee!

What's this "we" crap?

Edited by KarenBravo

3 hours ago, Badrabbit said:

Many people feel weak to admitting that they freely pay for a free service, Instead they post how they Stand up to immigration officers and refuse, I don't believe it for one minute, when someone posts a video of themselves showing this refusal then and only then will I believe it!!

"when someone posts a video"

Do that and you'll end up in a cage, and or deported.

Brilliant! I'd like to see your video of you paying a "tip" to them!

people that say they refuse to pay but do pay to look big are bigger mugs than the honest people that freely admit they pay!!

I really don't care what you think. As it happens now that I have a WP then I don't need the CoR.  Used that for my last DL... no problem.  To be honest I have had a WP for about 15 years but never knew I could use it as proof of residence until I joined Thaivisa in 2007 ... doh

Just to be clear, I have no problems with people who dig their heels in and refuse to pay these relatively small illegal fees. I do believe many have been doing that for many years and it goes no further than that initial refusal.

In my opinion, the difficulties have arisen because, recently, some people decided to mount a campaign against these minor ripoffs by taking their complaints to the media and Ombudsman. This has highlighted the scams, resulting in loss of face for managers, transfers of staff and the cutoff of an income stream for all in the Department.

Their response has been to make all dealings with the Department more onerous for the client with the aim of convincing them to use agents who pay commissions.

24 minutes ago, Shot said:

^^^I agree.

I wonder how much "wiggle room" there is when using an agent?

Why would there be wiggle room .... by paying the agent's inflated fee then all doors open.

You think by using an agent then you would save money .... ? no chance ..

40 minutes ago, LivinginKata said:

Why would there be wiggle room .... by paying the agent's inflated fee then all doors open.

I think he meant how much "wiggle room" the agent has to negotiate a "fee" lower than 300 baht per CoR, given he is buying in bulk.  :smile:

21 hours ago, LivinginKata said:

I really don't care what you think. As it happens now that I have a WP then I don't need the CoR.  Used that for my last DL... no problem.  To be honest I have had a WP for about 15 years but never knew I could use it as proof of residence until I joined Thaivisa in 2007 ... doh

"I have had a WP for about 15 years but never knew I could use it as proof of residence until I joined Thaivisa in 2007" - am I correct in assuming you have not obtained a CoR for approximately 10 years????

1 hour ago, LivinginKata said:

Relax LIK, I simply meant minor mistakes or missing 1 of 40 copies.

I never said anything about saving money.

1 hour ago, NamKangMan said:

"I have had a WP for about 15 years but never knew I could use it as proof of residence until I joined Thaivisa in 2007" - am I correct in assuming you have not obtained a CoR for approximately 10 years????

My previous DL 6 years ago I forgot about the WP rule and got a CoR in Patong office. Was asked for 300 baht, I politely declined to pay informing the officer that there was no official charge, and walked out with the CoR.

And your next post will be - how do you know that IOs fold these days - answer: because I coach my many guests on how to deal with Immigration and they report back to me their experiences.

42 minutes ago, Shot said:

Relax LIK, I simply meant minor mistakes or missing 1 of 40 copies.

I never said anything about saving money.

Aahh .... ok. Then it would be up to the agent to correct mistakes and make more copies.

But my point was .... is it worth the agent's fee, some of  which goes to the officer.

On 10/8/2016 at 11:02 AM, KittenKong said:

Several other immigration offices impose a variable charge for this supposedly free service also, though some do it for nothing. Some dont do it at all. So a fairly typical mish-mash.

I trust that all those who have previously said that this fee is official will note this explanation coming straight from the top man: this residence certificate service should be free and any fee requested or paid is neither official or legal.

They gave me it for free in Khon Kaen. As long as you speak Thai and don't look like a walking ATM, they're reasonable people. Never take a Thai with you, although kids sometimes help.

1 hour ago, NamKangMan said:

Some things the WP doesn't work for.

3 hours ago, LivinginKata said:

My previous DL 6 years ago I forgot about the WP rule and got a CoR in Patong office. Was asked for 300 baht, I politely declined to pay informing the officer that there was no official charge, and walked out with the CoR.

And your next post will be - how do you know that IOs fold these days - answer: because I coach my many guests on how to deal with Immigration and they report back to me their experiences.

"because I coach my many guests on how to deal with Immigration and they report back to me their experiences." - but you weren't even there at the time the CoR was issued.  Right?

But you only can use your WP as address confirmation if the address as mentioned in the WP is your living address.
Otherwise you use the wrong address as your address confirmation which is fine as long you don't care about that.