Rabies advice

Jm1g

I have a large open wound on my leg as a result of road rash.

A puppy has been licking this open would every chance he could. Maybe 3-4 times. This puppy is from a street dog litter and my friend picked it up off the street.

Should I be getting checked out for rabies?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

The risk is quite low if the puppy's behavior is friendly and non-aggressive(as it sounds)  and it is a superficial wound.

Even so, I can't say the risk is 0.

There isn't anyway to get "checked out" for rabies; you either get the vaccine series or you don't.

An advantage to getting the vaccine, aside from the remote risk of rabies from thsi exposure, is that it will provide partial protection from any future exposure and reduce the number of injections you would need if later bitten by a dog.

• 2 weeks later...

Some how an Ally Cat has adopted us one day for no reason it jumped at me and broke my skin, not sure if it bit me or it was its claw. Either way not knowing anything about the cat off to the emergency room of our public hospital I went. I saw the doctor and told him I had a series of four rabies' shots 20 Yeats ago. He said I didn't need any new ones. However 20 years is a long time so I insisted on new ones. I had a tetanus shot, a rabies shot, half in my right arm and half in my left, and a regime of antibiotics, total cost ฿179. I had to go back a month later for another shot ฿42, and in six months a final shot. The cat is still alive so didn't have rabies, but I feel much more comfortable around strange animals. And the cost is almost nothing, so cheap I am a bit concerned the hospital is giving me a placebo, would they do that, just to pacify me. I was willing to pay whatever the cost would be.

Sent from my ASUS_T00J using Tapatalk

No do not believe they would ever take a chance on rabies.  From my time here in the 60-70's they would test all as positive just to be sure not to make a mistake and miss one that could put a persons life at risk.  Rabies is taken very seriously.  And for good reasons.

Good to know that the cost of the jabs in the hospital are so cheap.  They're also dirt cheap for the pets at the animal  clinic.  I think the Thai gov't is basically giving the vets the vaccine for free and all we're paying is a very modest fee for her services.  

I paid considerably more than this at a miliitary hospital,  I am not sure but I think it was Rabipur by Novartis which of course is more costly than locally made (there is a Thai Red cross brand).

What I have heard from people getting this at various hospitals is all over the map, from very little to a fair sum, so I suspect different hospitals use different preparations, even among government facilities.

The first shots I got twenty years ago the shot was around ฿450 from the Pasteur Institute in Parris France. I had ti get the the fourth and final one in Toronto Canada, and it was ฿1,900 from canaught laboratories in Toronto owned by the Pasteur Institute, so even back then the vaccine was cheap in Thailand, and I immagine the one I got this time was made in Thailand.

Sent from my ASUS_T00J using Tapatalk