good bank for depositing money for immigration

16 hours ago, pattayalover said:

Bangkok bank no problem.
go with a Thai to open an account

Same to me.

My upcountry branch prints it while waiting.

100 Baht.

They also know how to update the bank book balance/print without doing a transaction.

The stupidos at SCB: can not, blank stare.

I use it next day at my immigration (Khon Kaen).

Never had an issue.

Edited by KhunBENQ

4 hours ago, KhonKaenKowboy said:

Krungsri is paying 1.3% and I doubt you would be getting close to that at the others.  CIMB was paying 1.6 last month with a million and free airport lounge passes and preferred parking at branches.

Bangkok Bank offered 1.5 percent for 12-month this Friday...

I am with KhonKaenKowboy on this one.  The best bank is the the yellow one Krungsri.  I have their Mee Tae Dai account also.  It pays about the same rate that other banks offer on terms deposits but you can still get to your money.

If you want to check out and compare rates, here is a very handy page that provides links to the websites for all Thai banks:

Full List of Banks in Thailand

Edited by Bulldozer Dawn

8 hours ago, akentryan said:

Go where you get the best rate and preferably a long period. Last time I looked  UOB had the best fixed deposit at 1.93% for 1 year. Krung Thai in 2014 offered a 4% deposit for 5 years which is where mine is until 2019. Krung Thai also psys interest monthly. You still have to hold it until maturity or they will deduct all interest paid from the principal. Banks will run promotions periodically but frequently they will offer the rate only to new customers. Kruen Thai works for me as they gave me a credit card also.

"You still have to hold it until maturity or they will deduct all interest paid from the principal", and replace it with interest at the standard savings rate.

12 minutes ago, Bulldozer Dawn said:

I am with KhonKaenKowboy on this one.  The best bank is the the yellow one Krungsri.  I have their Mee Tae Dai account also.  It pays about the same rate that other banks offer on terms deposits but you can still get to your money.

If you want to check out and compare rates, here is a very handy page that provides links to the websites for all Thai banks:

Full List of Banks in Thailand

Your link suggests Bangkok Bank is the largest in terms of assets but really asset size alone means very little. If the list is viewed in terms of "safest bank" then UOB wins hands down being consistently regarded as one of the top twenty safest banks in the world.

And really, if asset size is your thing, Krungsri (BAY) is almost certainly the largest, it being owned by Bank Mitsubishi Japan which has assets of over USD 2.5 Trillion.

14 minutes ago, chiang mai said:

Your link suggests Bangkok Bank is the largest in terms of assets but really asset size alone means very little. If the list is viewed in terms of "safest bank" then UOB wins hands down being consistently regarded as one of the top twenty safest banks in the world.

And really, if asset size is your thing, Krungsri (BAY) is almost certainly the largest, it being owned by Bank Mitsubishi Japan which has assets of over USD 2.5 Trillion.

I think that the webpage I linked to just uses total assets as a way to order the list of banks (as opposed to ordering alphabetically).  I don't think there is any intention to suggest which of the banks is safest.  For the record, I have my 800K with Krungsri, safety aside, they provide me with the best rate of return, in a flexible savings account, and good customer service.

• 2 weeks later...

I have Bangkok Bank cause at that time was easy to open it just with passport any kind of visa even tourist. Now things are changed and keep on changing all time. Better to check different banks to see:

1) where there is good english speaking personel (not always happens)

2) how easy they make it and what they ask to open the account to a foreigner for either thai currency and foreign currency account

3) making sure they issue the letter for the immigration office when extending your stay permit

4) consider that a branch in a big mall or dep store will be operative 7/7

5) once opened consider that the account cannot be transfered to other branch but you have to open a new one if you change city or area where you living, of course you can operate on your account from any branch.

So to spend a day in a dep. store where you have all banks together (but not always Bangkok bank) and get informations from each will give you comparison and help to clear your mind.

• Like 1

CIMB are doing 1 year FD at 1.7%...minimum is usually 10 or 50k....works fine at cm immigration and letter is 100 THB ...they ask for an hours notice on the letter.  AP Plaza....but also about 300m north of Chiang Phuak Gate.  1 million gets you preferred status and lounge passes at Swampy.

Edited by KhonKaenKowboy

If you could do a transfer to BKK Bank London, then they will forward it to your BKK Bank account...otherwise, it's basically an international wire, and it will be up to your bank in Portugal as to whether or not you can initiate an international wire without being there.  You can see, for security reasons, why they would have extra security in place for international transfers.  I do it online, but only because my us account is linked to BKK Bank, New York...we call it an ACH transfer.....then they see the account number, and know it is in Thailand, and forward it, and exchange it, and charge fees on it (which are somewhat less than regular SWIFT transfers.

1 hour ago, Ziggysan said:

Is it shure they dont have the IBAN  ( internl. bank. account nr. )

IBAN is just a standard for account numbers not a way to send the money. Wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Bank_Account_Number

It mentions SWIFT as the method that the funds are sent.

Look at your banks website and you will find their swift code.

IBAN is for Eu plus a few others....so if you can do a cheap/free IBAN transfer..then definitley go the BKK Bank London route....and you would likely be able to link the two accounts from abroad (much easier than initiating an international transfer to Thailand).  So perhaps the big question is, can Europeans utilize BKK Bank London?  because that is the only branch in Europe.

As others have stated, down on the first floor at Chaeng Wattana you can get a bank lettr done in 15  minutes or less, depending on how many customers are in the queue in front of you.

Just bring your passbook and your passport (or some other photo I.D.).

Costs 100 Baht.

Bangkok Bank is he one I use, but other banks also will do the service.

Computer form letter, dated and signed the same day, and accepted upstairs in immigration office.

7 minutes ago, KhonKaenKowboy said:

IBAN is for Eu plus a few others....so if you can do a cheap/free IBAN transfer..then definitley go the BKK Bank London route....and you would likely be able to link the two accounts from abroad (much easier than initiating an international transfer to Thailand).  So perhaps the big question is, can Europeans utilize BKK Bank London?  because that is the only branch in Europe.

From Bangkok Bank website. http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/DailyBanking/TransferingFunds/TransferringIntoThailand/ReceivingFundsfromUK/Pages/ReceivingFundsfromUK.aspx

Who can use it?

Anyone with a UK bank account can transfer funds into a Bangkok Bank account in Thailand using this service. People who receive a regular payment or pension from the UK government or a private UK organization may find it particularly useful.

• Like 1