Three narrowly escape death after their pick-up truck was rammed by a train

webfact

Just now, ratcatcher said:

So you would define this as a suicide attempt since the train was expected and the driver knew that and deliberately drove around the gates.?

All appearance to that conclusion, like one climbing up a high voltage cable pole...

3 hours ago, tomyummer said:

Thais, always trying to find the loophole in everything they do.

there was no loophole. barrier was down and he rammed right through it. if there was a loophole his action could have been a little more understandable.

3 hours ago, halloween said:

In BP article, he deliberately drove around barrier,  while all alarms/lights working, because he thought he had enough time. Lucky that train was slowing for station or could have been much worse.

Should be charged with terminal stupidity.

case of sheer miscalculation.

The news story says:
»Instead of stopping the car, Suthin allegedly tried to navigate through the train barricade in order to cross the railway track...«

Think we (too) often hear news stories about folks trying to navigate through train barricades – me don't understand how they dare take the risk..?

3 minutes ago, khunPer said:

The news story says:
»Instead of stopping the car, Suthin allegedly tried to navigate through the train barricade in order to cross the railway track...«

Think we (too) often hear news stories about folks trying to navigate through train barricades – me don't understand how they dare take the risk..?

Risks are often assessed before being taken. To do that, brainpower is required. In this case brainpower was absent.

1 hour ago, ratcatcher said:

So you would define this as a suicide attempt since the train was expected and the driver knew that and deliberately drove around the gates.?

The phrase normally used is as follows

His actions were tantamount to suicide 

Same same but different

5 hours ago, DavisH said:

I'm constantly amazed how anyone makes it to the ripe old age of 65. Must me those amulets....who needs good management when you got good luck!

Im amazed when 65 year olds have 14 year old sons... must be those penis amulets (paladgik)... 

He should be charged with one account of reckless endangerment for each passenger in the car. He should be charged with one account of reckless endangerment for each staff driving the train. He should be charged with one account of reckless endangerment for each passenger on the train. 

He should be charged with criminal trespass for going through the barrier. He should be charged with whatever laws Thailand has in regards to interfering with the operation of a train. Fines and restitution should be levied against him for the cost of the response team as well as the delays and other associated costs including but not limited to the damage the train and possibly the tracks sustained.

He should have his license revoked for life. Child protective services should look into removing his children from the home. Hopefully he under went a drug and alcohol test on the spot. 

Yes, I am being a bit harsh but this is the type of action that needs to be in place as only a very clear and real deterrent will stop this sort of nonsense. They know they won't face prison so they take these idiotic risks. 

Thais only seem to become impatient when behind the wheel or when riding a motor cycle.  I admit that I do get a bit impatient when waiting to be served in an almost empty bank or Electricty office, when some staff are just standing or sitting around chatting, whereas most Thai customers sit there apparently quite happily with a "mai pen rai" attitude.  When driving, my main concern is to arrive at my destination safely.

4 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

? And they want high speed quality trains ? I think better educate the populace before giving them access to high speed train lines at crossings.

How about high speed education on driving. This guy surely is a candidate for the driver of the year award sorry the luckiest driver of the year award. Start a personal amulate business a sure winner. 

1 minute ago, anotheruser said:

He should be charged with one account of reckless endangerment for each passenger in the car. He should be charged with one account of reckless endangerment for each staff driving the train. He should be charged with one account of reckless endangerment for each passenger on the train. 

He should be charged with criminal trespass for going through the barrier. He should be charged with whatever laws Thailand has in regards to interfering with the operation of a train. Fines and restitution should be levied against him for the cost of the response team as well as the delays and other associated costs including but not limited to the damage the train and possibly the tracks sustained.

He should have his license revoked for life. Child protective services should look into removing his children from the home. Hopefully he under went a drug and alcohol test on the spot. 

Yes, I am being a bit harsh but this is the type of action that needs to be in place as only a very clear and real deterrent will stop this sort of nonsense. They know they won't face prison so they take these idiotic risks. 

Won't make any difference here in LOS......Children are given keys to m/cycles every day by parents and the kids die..Every single day......Parents and cops have not yet figured out why these kids die every day......

Just now, transam said:

Won't make any difference here in LOS......Children are given keys to m/cycles every day by parents and the kids die..Every single day......Parents and cops have not yet figured out why these kids die every day......

You have to start somewhere. This guy is a poster boy of somebody you could make an example of. If the word gets out that you cross the barrier and get caught you will get the book thrown out you people may understand. That isn't going to happen for a variety of reasons and issues with law enforcement that we all already know.

It gets frustrating that Thais seem to be incapable at times of learning the most simple things. I seem to remember in school being taught about railroad crossings when I was in around second grade. 

I actually witnessed a similar event recently.
At a crossing point the barriers were down with lights flashing, and the train was visible approaching in the distance, the usual mass of motorbikes & cars lined up on either side.

A young girl on her motorcycle managed to squeeze herself around the end of the barrier (actually going off-road into the brush) to get across the railway line.. unfortunately she crossed the rails at an angle and her front wheel became stuck in a gap in the lines.
She tried un-successfully to lift the bike up via the handlebars, luckily a quick thinking Thai man got off his bike & ran to her assistance, managing to get hold of her front wheel to pull it fee & drag her bike away from the rails, just in time to allow the train to pass by at some speed.

At this point the railway guard emerged from his hut & was screamed at by the girl for not making the train stop.

Not an isolated event I'm sad to say, many many times I've witnessed people skirting the lowered barriers to get across before the train passes by, I just don't understand the mentality to duck under or get around a barrier that's down for your safety as a train is approaching!!!

8 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

I actually witnessed a similar event recently.
At a crossing point the barriers were down with lights flashing, and the train was visible approaching in the distance, the usual mass of motorbikes & cars lined up on either side.

A young girl on her motorcycle managed to squeeze herself around the end of the barrier (actually going off-road into the brush) to get across the railway line.. unfortunately she crossed the rails at an angle and her front wheel became stuck in a gap in the lines.
She tried un-successfully to lift the bike up via the handlebars, luckily a quick thinking Thai man got off his bike & ran to her assistance, managing to get hold of her front wheel to pull it fee & drag her bike away from the rails, just in time to allow the train to pass by at some speed.

At this point the railway guard emerged from his hut & was screamed at by the girl for not making the train stop.

Not an isolated event I'm sad to say, many many times I've witnessed people skirting the lowered barriers to get across before the train passes by, I just don't understand the mentality to duck under or get around a barrier that's down for your safety as a train is approaching!!!

Key word....."Mentality"....

9 hours ago, Brer Fox said:

I suppose to his credit he didn't take out a gun from underneath the  seat and shoot the train for deliberately ramming his car.

He couldn't see a train, how would he see where the gun is, or what to shoot at. :)