Why is Thailand better than your Home Country?

NoshowJones

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/11/2016 at 6:06 PM, CharlieH said:

No damn camera's everywhere here (rural Thailand), UK there is a camera and copper waiting to pounce at every opportunity. couple that with the Tax on tax on tax at every opportunity, Thailand is far more "free" to do what you want without constantly having to "apply" for permits/licences etc.

In Thailand, its pretty much "up to you" how you choose to live.

i think it used to be like that 15 years ago, its all changing now and its becomming more like the west

Well Possum, I would not use the word better, but I simply enjoy it here more so and that is mostly for the differences it presents, in culture and language and the fact that at least in my country region, the people are friendly and smiling, laughing, and to my eye, much happier than the people back home. Much less stress here... I also enjoy the small affordable luxuries, like taking my afternoon nap while getting a foot massage at the local temple or storefront... I can go on, but you have been here long enough, you get the picture. 

God knows I wouldn't move to a whole new country just to get women but I accept that others place a higher priority on that than I do.

Thailand isn't better than my country (UK) but it is easier to save, it's cheaper to live and the people are generally nice.

Suits me fine for now.

52 minutes ago, catman20 said:

agree but i would like to know why?

Well....secretly ..they are horny and sexually motivated also...but not openly

I am not talking about the sex industry because if it did not exist the fact remains that the women have sexual aspirations also and they also like sex...preferably by way of old world mannerism and courtship ect...in theory...but they do not deny their sexuality...rather do not openly show it or flaunt it ...being prim and proper like.... until lust overwhelms them...like all people...you know.

Cheers

On 11/10/2559 at 6:06 PM, CharlieH said:

No damn camera's everywhere here (rural Thailand), UK there isght a camera and copper waiting to pounce at every opportunity. couple that with the Tax on tax on tax at every opportunity, Thailand is far more "free" to do what you want without constantly having to "apply" for permits/licences etc.

Plenty of cameras and police waiting to pounce in rural Thailand as well...people getting fines in the post for running a red light or speeding....next door to me received a 700 baht fine last week in the post for driving through a red light.....the amount of time one can spend getting licences/permits here the hours / days /weeks soon mounts up as well....

I'm an American so my answers will probably differ from those of you from the UK or EU, who seem to make up the majority of responses.  Additionally, I have never lived there, having only visited for several weeks with years intervening.  However, despite my naiveté, perhaps some of you can also set me right before I move to CM in 2017/18.

I was an Army brat, so I went to an international middle school in Tokyo and an American high school in Seoul. My parents wound up living in Korea for over 20 yrs. I'm 1/4 Japanese but you never could tell. I currently mentor two 27 yo Chinese students and as a result have spent the equivalent of several months in China.

Thailand & Vietnam intrigue me because of the imprinting I received hanging around with my Asian friends as a kid. My parents' extensive experience in Asia also is an influence. I have no desire to live in China for multiple reasons and I'm not interested in Laos nor Cambodia (though limited exposure.)  BKK might be too "big city" for me, CM seems a fit. I don't even think I would be interested in rural life as of yet. Danag, VN is another option as that country isn't as developed as Thailand nor as undeveloped as Laos/Cambodia. Japan is too westernized by Asian standards. I'm NOT looking for Thai women, bar life nor even beach life -- I have sun, sand & sin here if that's all I want. I'm hoping to experience a culture that's different from mine: sounds, sights, smells, tastes (food), touch, et al. Yes, I know they'll be irritating noise, not just music, awful smells not just fragrant ones, irritating noise not just Thai music. Add in bureacracy, politics, traffic, headaches ad infinitum, so what? I can afford to live anywhere comfortably, but I do NOT want an easy chair in front of the tv nor traveling my country nor even (westernized) Europe (backpacked in my 20s).  Australia, maybe. Africa, South/Central America & the Middle East hold little intrigue other than as tourist destinations.

SO WHAT AM I NOT SEEING? WHAT DO YOU THINK I NEED TO KNOW? WHAT UGLY SURPRISES AWAIT (good ones too)?

Life's great here for so many reasons.........in fact the only miserable people I encounter here are the sad old western farts that thought they'd hit the jackpot when they moved over here after marrying the first bar girl they met. They now sit stewing in their misery and bitterness whilst those like myself who enjoy it here carry on enjoying it..........oh well :rolleyes:

No damn camera's everywhere here (rural Thailand), UK there is a camera and copper waiting to pounce at every opportunity. couple that with the Tax on tax on tax at every opportunity, Thailand is far more "free" to do what you want without constantly having to "apply" for permits/licences etc.

Im pretty sure the UK is one of the worst for cameras, but just to toss this out there:

About 3 weeks ago I drove from Surin to BKK and back. 

Over the last couple days we have gotten 3 tickets in the mail with me doing over 140kph in the car on that trip. 500 baht each lol. 

Hey I knowingly broke the law and they got me so I happily paid but its getting worse (or imho better)

Laid back non judgmental people.

The lack of stupid health and safety rules governing my life in country of birth.

Build what ever whenever (in the sticks)

Walk around village and apart from me Mr Farang there all Thais  (couldn't do that in my birth village now all English!! Lucky if you find 60% English now).

The overriding reason my wife and son are Thai.

16 minutes ago, hyperHowie said:

I'm an American so my answers will probably differ from those of you from the UK or EU, who seem to make up the majority of responses.  Additionally, I have never lived there, having only visited for several weeks with years intervening.  However, despite my naivety, perhaps some of you can also set me right before I move to CM in 2017/18.

SO WHAT AM I NOT SEEING? WHAT DO YOU THINK I NEED TO KNOW? WHAT UGLY SURPRISES AWAIT (good ones too)?

That's a difficult question for an Englishman :biggrin: you could get many replies from people you don't know also with different views and confusing opposite ones, my take would be without doubt go and spend time in CM and make your own mind up.

OK America is big with lots of different people but maybe it would help to get to chat with some American people who live there as well as expats from the many other countries.

If you post your own topic in CM forum I guess that would be more helpful. Goodluck. :thumbsup:

On October 11, 2016 at 4:06 AM, CharlieH said:

Another naive noobie

This has got to be the best answer on this topic so far.

Archived