computer problem

1FinickyOne

When the electricity briefly cuts out, just for a couple of seconds sometimes, my Mac desktop computer cuts out too, but sometimes it does not start up again easily. Sometimes it seems to need all night before starting up no problem the next morning. 

The computer is about 4-5 years old - and this was never the case in the past. 

Is this a sign my computer might be failing? Otherwise all is ok.

Is there a surge protector or anything that might help...

Thanks. 

Short power outages/spikes happen to me any other time.

I can not judge on a Mac.

I sit a Windows PC and rarely (one or two times in 5 years) that Windows had some startup problem.

Since Windows 10 it does not even gives a note just starts as if nothing happened.

Mac: I assume it does some kind of extensive file system check?

Do you see anything on the screen or just blank?

The real solution is operating it on a UPS (uninterruptible power supply).

Cost a few Baht (in the lower 4 digit range).

Maybe a Mac expert can give other tips, circumvent the check at startup?

Consequences? Risk?

Always worth a try: after such a surge/spike disconnect/unplug mains for 10 seconds or so.

Edited by KhunBENQ

Thanks. Where can I buy this UPS? 

I don't see any reason why this would be a problem now and not the last few years?

Basically, there is just a blank screen. I push the power button and nothing happens [sometimes] - yes, I do take out the power cord for 10 seconds and then plug back in... sometimes it will come back on and a couple of other times, it does not come back on until the next morning. 

Most reasonably sized computer shops will have a range of UPS for sale. If you have problems with minor or major power disruptions then it's a must have. For the average computer user you are looking at a 500 VA model minimum, with Automatic Voltage Regulation (AVR). Look at paying 2-3k. You want to be able to run your computer and monitor for at least ten minutes while you shut it down without losing your work. Many UPS will come with software to enable it to shut things down gracefully even if you're not around. APC and Syndome are two of the more popular brands in Thailand. There are a number of previous topics on TV if you search.

https://www.jib.co.th/web/index.php/product/list_product/1/338/0?p1=1360&p2=35390&brand=&sort=1

50 minutes ago, kenk24 said:

I don't see any reason why this would be a problem now and not the last few years?

This is the question that I can  not answer.

Your problem description sounds a bit like a problem with the built-in power supply (defect tantal condensator is the most frequent one).

For a Windows PC a new power supply does not cost a fortune.

Less than 1000 Baht with assembly work.

For a Mac?