Passport due to expire

Since you are from the UK your passport only needs to be valid for your length of stay for entry to the country. For those from some countries it is 6 months. 

Once in the country it does not matter unless you apply for an extension longer than your passport validity.

All neighboring countries require 6 months of passport validity for entry which means you wold have a problem if you need to get a visa or new entry by entering one of them.

4 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Since you are from the UK your passport only needs to be valid for your length of stay for entry to the country. For those from some countries it is 6 months. 

Once in the country it does not matter unless you apply for an extension longer than your passport validity.

All neighboring countries require 6 months of passport validity for entry which means you wold have a problem if you need to get a visa or new entry by entering one of them.

According to his post, he will be in Thailand for 10 days with an expired passport. Is that acceptable? 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Ronuk said:

According to his post, he will be in Thailand for 10 days with an expired passport. Is that acceptable? 

He was asking about entry. I assume he is aware he has to get a new passport while here or before he travels.

8 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

He was asking about entry. I assume he is aware he has to get a new passport while here or before he travels.

I think reading his post, he was asking if it would be OK if he was remaining in Thailand for 10 days on an expired passport? 

Actually, I read it such that he has not yet travelled to Thailand, so not yet entered, however, he is proposing to take a trip to here and the timing of that trip is such that his passport will expire 10 days prior to his planned departure from Thailand, so passport will be valid upon arrival, won't be valid upon departure and therefore useless.

Simple answer, get a new passport before travelling on the proposed trip.

Worse case, cut the planned visit to be 11 days shorter, option 1 of getting a new passport makes the most sense, why risk it!

• Like 1

(edit - I read it as he was in the country already and his passport was going to expire before the visa. If he's still in the UK then the only real option is to renew the passport as the rule is the passport must be valid for the duration of the stay. As his expires prior to the end of the planned stay, it is likely they wouldn't even let him board the flight to Thailand as he would probably be denied entry upon arrival.)

(edit - assuming he is already in Thailand.)

You will probably need to go to the British Embassy and get Emergency Travel Documents before leaving the country (https://www.gov.uk/emergency-travel-document).

Without a valid passport or emergency travel documents, you probably won't even be able to check in for your flight, especially if there are any stops along the way.

Not to mention that I think (but am not positive) if your passport is expired, then your visa is no longer valid either. That could cause a major problem when you try to leave. I'm sure there have been numerous stories on TV about people getting caught with expired passports in Thailand.

Keep in mind that even though Thailand may not require 6 months of validity to enter the country, other countries may have different rules and if you have to transit through any of those countries it could be a problem as well.

I used to stress the need for a valid passport to the guys working in Afghanistan all the time as some figured as long as they were just flying home it shouldn't matter how much validity was remaining. Even after telling them repeatedly, sure enough one guy was denied boarding because he had less than 6 months remaining on his passport and was travelling through Dubai and Frankfurt on his way back to Canada. We had to scramble and change his route and fly him out on a charter cargo flight to a different destination, then onto a direct flight back to Canada. All that because he was too ******* lazy to renew his passport on his previous holiday (and the company was even paying the cost of the passport renewals) !

(The issue is, even though you say you are going to stay in transit, there's nothing preventing you from landing in <wherever> and just heading for Immigration. If that Immigration denies you entry then they could detain you and the airline would be forced to fly you back.)

Best to get that sorted out sooner than later. 

Edited by Kerryd

9 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

As others have said, the airlines would not let you board as you do not qualify for a visa exempt entry. 

Who has said that?

He can enter with his passport and get a visa exempt entry since it apparently will still be valid for the length of his stay when he enters the country.

Check here for a person form the UK to here. https://www.klm.com/travel/kz_en/prepare_for_travel/travel_planning/travel_clinic/visaform.htm

3 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Who has said that?

He can enter with his passport and get a visa exempt entry since it apparently will still be valid for the length of his stay when he enters the country.

Check here for a person form the UK to here. https://www.klm.com/travel/kz_en/prepare_for_travel/travel_planning/travel_clinic/visaform.htm

Isnt it common sense, they are stamping you in for a month and your passport runs out in 2 weeks. You dont qualify.

Thai immigration dont stamp you in until the date of your return ticket, most of the time they dont even want to see it.

4 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Isnt it common sense, they are stamping you in for a month and your passport runs out in 2 weeks. You dont qualify.

Thai immigration dont stamp you in until the date of your return ticket, most of the time they dont even want to see it.

He did say how he was going to stay before he reached the end of his passport.

He might be entering with 3 months of validity left.

4 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

He did say how he was going to stay before he reached the end of his passport.

He might be entering with 3 months of validity left.

Some more info from the OP would be helpful. I am presuming its a 1 month Visa exempt entry and the passport expires within that month. I dont think OP is talking a tourist Visa, as he would not have the validity to get one in the first place.

There should be a standard form, information required to ask a visa question. 

Surely it wouldn't make any difference whether it was 30 day visa exempt or a visa of any type?

1. Arrival and entry with a visa exempt stamp, duration allowed in to Thailand would equal the validity of the passport, assuming the IO notes the passport expiry date whilst processing the entry.

2. Even with a prior visa, then the entry stamp would only be valid for the duration of his passport, as would the visa itself.

So, really, at the end of the day it is a no brainer, his passport has to be renewed before travelling, if he is in the UK, then as others have pointed out, this can be done in less than a day, so long as he is prepared to pay for it.

Edited by Mattd
Spelling

16 hours ago, Ronuk said:

I think reading his post, he was asking if it would be OK if he was remaining in Thailand for 10 days on an expired passport? 

Not too bright is he

Expired means just that

You cant use it to come or go

• Like 2

»...expire 10 days before end of my proposed visit (tourism).  Is this a problem...«

Short answer: Yes.

You will probably not be let inside the Kingdom, if your passport is not valid for the full period of permitted stay; 30 day visa exemption or visa period. Some countries require 6 month validity – I was earlier informed by the Thai immigration, that my passport had too short validity when leaving the Kingdom with about 5½ month only left in valid period.

Your problem may arise even before you enter Thailand, if you arrive by air, as the airline may not let you on-board with a passport validity of less than 6 month, as it's the airline's responsibility to check valid entry (Visa etc.). You may be lucky, that the airline will board you, if you sign a declaration that you are aware of the situation, and will compensate the airline all and any cost – I've tried that, but had almost 6 month left, and only after the check-in counter supervisor had telephoned to Immigration at my destination (flying Thailand to Singapore).

I will advise  you to get a new passport before entering the Kingdom or an extension of your present one (some countries do that, don't know if Britain does)

Edited by khunPer

57 minutes ago, Jeffkp said:

I don't understand all the arguing. Just get a new passport! Anything could go wrong while traveling. WHY take an unnecessary risk?

It would be helpful if he provided a bit more information. Does he have an actual visa or is he intending to enter using a visa exempt entry. Would an embassy or consulate issue a visa for someone with a passport that expires before the potential stay in Thailand?

It strikes me as extremely unwise to try, but immigration might allow you to enter but give you a permitted to stay date of the last date of validity of your passport. If you were then able to apply for and receive a new passport prior to that date, you could get the entry stamp transferred and probably apply for an extension of stay. There are so many maybes that this is crazy.

12 hours ago, peterb17 said:

If you can get to London, the office in Victoria will issue a new passport in about 4hours- express service- it's pricy think I paid £128 - but very convenient.

You must make an appointment .

Further info about HMPO's Premium service at https://www.gov.uk/get-a-passport-urgently

HMPO have offices where he could go to in Liverpool, Belfast, Durham, Glasgow, Newport and Peterborough, as well as London

On 10/12/2016 at 11:44 AM, ubonjoe said:

The six months validity also applies to British subjects: https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/thailand/entry-requirements

3 minutes ago, Xircal said:

The six months validity also applies to British subjects: https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/thailand/entry-requirements

That "gov.uk" advise is in error. British subjects only need a passport which is valid for the length of a proposed stay to enter Thailand.

However, IMHO it would be foolish to attempt travel on a passport with less that 6 months validity as it would prevent entry to many(most) countries.

9 hours ago, Xircal said:

Just more misinformation.

Check the IATA requirements to board a flight for a UK national here. https://www.klm.com/travel/kz_en/prepare_for_travel/travel_planning/travel_clinic/visaform.htm