All in a day’s work: Putin accuses US, UK and France of provoking ‘Russophobia’

webfact

On 10/16/2016 at 11:39 AM, Grouse said:

And another thing, it's not so long ago that USA armed the mujahideen with Stinger missiles in their fight against the USSR in Afghanistan. They then morphed into the Taliban!

ISIS are mainly using American weaponry as I understand it.

I think I can understand Russian angst. For our part, we need to be very clear who our real enemies are. I think we can co-exist with Russia. I am much more concerned about the creep of Islam.

"ISIS are mainly using American weaponry as I understand it."

I have no idea if this is the case. I would guess ISIS uses whatever it can get, mostly captured or looted weapons.

There would be more US made weapons in Iraq, whereas the offerings in Syria would mainly be Russian.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20 minutes ago, Morch said:

"ISIS are mainly using American weaponry as I understand it."

I have no idea if this is the case. I would guess ISIS uses whatever it can get, mostly captured or looted weapons.

There would be more US made weapons in Iraq, whereas the offerings in Syria would mainly be Russian.

The US have supplied a lot of weapons to Qatar and Saudi, who in turn have shipped them into Syria.  It's a fair bet a chunk of them have ended up in IS hands.

2 hours ago, Chicog said:

The US have supplied a lot of weapons to Qatar and Saudi, who in turn have shipped them into Syria.  It's a fair bet a chunk of them have ended up in IS hands.

Seems to have come from a variety of sources.

http://www.cnbc.com/2015/11/23/us-and-russian-weapons-held-by-islamic-state.html

Okay, from the OP,  Boris Johnson called for a protest outside the Russian embassy. Well, I agree with Putin, Johnson was taking part in "Russophobic hysteria".

This protest. Here's a link.   http://metro.co.uk/2016/10/15/russian-ambassador-mocks-boris-after-just-one-protester-turns-up-at-embassy-6194610/

I'm not here to laugh at the fact that only one person turned up for a non-demonstration. Syria is not a funny issue. What I will say is this.
The British people will protest outside whatever embassy if whatever country has done outrageous stuff. This has happened before. But the British people do know, on this occasion, a protest outside the Russian embassy would be absurd. Surely, that's why almost nobody has turned up.

3 hours ago, tonbridgebrit said:

Okay, from the OP,  Boris Johnson called for a protest outside the Russian embassy. Well, I agree with Putin, Johnson was taking part in "Russophobic hysteria".

This protest. Here's a link.   http://metro.co.uk/2016/10/15/russian-ambassador-mocks-boris-after-just-one-protester-turns-up-at-embassy-6194610/

I'm not here to laugh at the fact that only one person turned up for a non-demonstration. Syria is not a funny issue. What I will say is this.
The British people will protest outside whatever embassy if whatever country has done outrageous stuff. This has happened before. But the British people do know, on this occasion, a protest outside the Russian embassy would be absurd. Surely, that's why almost nobody has turned up.

I admired May's sense of humour in appointing Boris as foreign secretary. However, it was an absurd decision; nobody takes the man seriously regardless of his undoubted cognitive abilities.

5 hours ago, tonbridgebrit said:

Boris never picked a date for the protests,  just made a comment about doing so. He's a bit off, but he and his government are right.  The atrocities in Syria need to stop. Hopefully,  the UK government will keep up the pressure.

http://news.sky.com/story/rebels-say-push-for-peace-in-syria-is-futile-as-russian-backed-bombing-intensifies-10592957

5 hours ago, tonbridgebrit said:

Surely, there could be other explanations for the public ignoring the call to demonstrate. May have something to do with how Boris Johnson is perceived or the level of public interest. Assuming that it reflects a general public sentiment in line with your views is does not seem to be based on anything but wishful thinking. Pretty much the same as your previous unsupported statement that "the majority of people in Britain simply don't want Britain to be involved in any airstrikes in Syria".