Satellite or internet tv?

Edu48c

We would appreciate any advice from anyone who knows about this kind of technology.

Our house in Samut Prakan came partially furnished and included a brand new LG HD Internet tv. Complete with surround sound speakers! 

After reading various articles, we decided to subscribe to True Vision's Platinum Package and had a satellite dish installed. All has been good. I watch rugby and football, ( being a Hornets and Saints supporter!), and my wife enjoys the films.

Are we missing out? Would we be better off watching Internet tv? We have internet at home and our tv is connected to it but we have never used it........basically because we don't know how!!!

Could anyone please explain the benefits of using the tv through the Internet? Is it worth it?

many thanks in advance?

Using a tv through the internet basically makes your TV a huge computer monitor with its own OS. You can't get anything "free" or "special" with a smart tv. Its just that youtube, Facebook, web browsing, etc. can be done ON the TV. 

Im simplifying here, but having True Platinum package is the easiest TV option and you can connect your TV over WIFI and explore it without losing anything or paying for anything. 

41 minutes ago, Phuket Man said:

What you now have on True Visions can be got by the internet at a fraction of the cost.

You would also get a lot more beside.

Correct...

...but without the reliability.

I subscribe to iLikeHD for the live TV.

They have a large range of UK channels, but they are not always stable, or even available.

Like most internet TV, it is hit and miss and sometimes I spend more time finding a signal than watching the programme. 

If you want stable  TV channels, continue to subscribe to True Visions.

1 hour ago, Phuket Man said:

What you now have on True Visions can be got by the internet at a fraction of the cost.

Can you get sports and movies in HD?

Can you get a programme scheduler that tells you what's coming on?

Can you record programmes 24/7 at a push of a button?

Can you switch on and get a perfect picture immediately without searching for a reliable signal?

No, that's why i use Truevisions.

2 minutes ago, Henryford said:

Can you switch on and get a perfect picture immediately without searching for a reliable signal?

Yep, and for a non tech person this is by far the easiest way. 

1 hour ago, Henryford said:

1.Yes.

2.Yes.

3. No.

4. Yes.

FlawlessIPTV. Look at their page on Facebook.

Edited by Phuket Man

4 hours ago, Phuket Man said:

100% true!

I used to subscribe to True Visions 3 or 4 years ago, it doesn't take long to realise 

how boring and repetitive their programs schedule becomes, hence why i cancelled

it.

Once you start using the internet to watch programs you realise that nearly everything is on demand as to what and when you want to watch so your not tied to a fixed schedule like True Visions.

As for cost, if you download a media player such as Kodi it's free and can watch any movie (new & old) tv shows, live tv, sport, documentaries etc, etc, all when it suits you.

The only thing i pay for is 365sport tv at 600bt a month purely to watch EPL football

and nearly all sport coverage is available all on demand which makes a big difference 

for the time difference with Thailand and the rest of the world.

Internet tv is the future of television and in the last few years has become more popular

better serviced.

OP, while you have TrueVisions to watch, start researching what you can do via the internet and it won't be long before you cancel your subscription.

Start by checking out Kodi here's a link:  https://kodi.tv/about/

Edited by sotsira

The Thai based IPTV services are generally twice what you pay vs a service from outside at 600THB / month  upwards. I generally watch everything free, but also spend 200THB for a paid IPTV service for stability with all the stuff like you get on iLikeHD without the Thai in either 576,720 or 1080p stream options. The o/p can plug the m3u list file of these kind of service straight into the LG smart TV app and watch without any devices attached to the TV. I haven't subd to True Visions for about 9 years now.

Well, after the first response I thought we were doing ok. Now I am not so sure!! 

Everything I read does say that Internet TV is the future and we have a tv that can do it but I just don't know how to do it!!!

i have been on the Internet on my tv, typed in bbc1 and up comes Iplayer and not available abroad. We need a Tekkie Person to show us how and what!!! 

Any recommendations?

• 4 weeks later...

Do a search on GOOGLE for KODI, the information is endless. Internet based TV is the way to go, and is mostly free! You can ofcourse subscribe to premium services for a fraction of the cost of TRUE services. Best thing though the worlds your oyster, anything you want to watch when you want to watch it.

Edited by naidraw66

can I set 2 satellite dishes on 1 samsung TV ? what do i need?

Of course that is possible.

You can buy a switch box that enables you to switch between the two LNB's same way you would on a single dish with more then one LNB''s on it.

You should then be able to setup in the sat box what LNB to use when it switches channels.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/889003-c-band-and-ku-band-lnbs-together-on-one-sat-dish/

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Thaivisa Connect mobile app