What Should I See If I Am In Chiangmai For 1 Full Day

cazablanka

I would like some advice on what are "must sees" as have only 2 half days and 1 full day in chiangmai for the first time as a tourist? We will be there for late december.Thank you

The night bazaar always a favourite with the ladies for shopping and souveniers with plenty of places to eat. Also the temple at Doi Suthep, Bhubing Palace and Doi Pui hill tribe are a half day trip combined set off 7:30am back CM around 1pm well worth doing also. Flower festival here also till end of January but you may need longer than you have just to see this. Enjoy

I think you will enjoy an evening in the local restaurants. The ones where you sit and eat a variety of local dishes and watch traditional dancing.

I've forgotten the name of the popular restaurants but am sure one of the locals will recommend one.

Let's assume the query is about sightseeing. Not much reason in going to Chiang Mai to see some of those sights mentioned sofar - can be seen about everywhere.

Chedi Luang. Wat Phrasing. Doi Suthep. Thapae Gate.

Edited by Cyberstar

Let's assume the query is about sightseeing. Not much reason in going to Chiang Mai to see some of those sights mentioned sofar - can be seen about everywhere.

Chedi Luang. Wat Phrasing. Doi Suthep. Thapae Gate.

If you are in Changers over the weekend then check out the walking street market on Saturday on Sunday nights - around Tha Pae Gate and Ratchadamnoen Road.

Personally the Thai dancing dinners bite - but some people seem to like them.

Coming by yourself or as a couple? Will there be Thai people as well? Have you seen a lot of things in Thailand before this or are you even living in Thailand?

Those things do make a difference for the recommendation, like if you've been in Thailand for years then just yet another temple or market will not excite you so much.

But anyway, things you should try to see & do:

* Doi Suthep mountain, the waterfalls there and the temple on top.

* The little streets & lanes in the old city, if you haven't seen THAT much of Thailand before.

* The Big Market at Talad Warorot, called Kad Luang locally

* If you're here on a Sunday, then the Sunday evening Walkign Street market that stretches from Thapae Gate into town. If not a Sunday, then settle for the Night Bazar

* See if you can book a trip/tour out of town. Check out www.chiangdao.com Ride elephants, see some mountains and waterfalls.

* The Flower Expo is still going on, you can easily spend a whole day there, especially if a Thai person joins you who would be less excited about regular little lanes in the old town. :o

* A "Kantoke" dinner & dance/entertainment show. Bookable at all travel agents

For more specific recommendations, let me know 'who you are'.. :D

Cheers,

Chanchao

thank you to everyone who replied to my post.

My husband and i are coming to thailand to celebrate our 25th wedding anniverary, and we are very excited. We have been to thailand three times before staying at bangkok, phucket and koh samui twice!! So we thought would go to chiang mai and krabi this time. We will not be in chiang mai over a weekend, so we are not looking for markets, we have done many temples and elephant riding and i have elephant decorations all over my house as i have a passion for them. My daughter used to work in bangkok and invited us over and we fell in love with thailand, we even spent the millenium new year in koh samui which was really spectacular. We are looking to do something special, and my daughter has mentioned the hill tribes, but not sure if it is possible to do it in one day. So we are looking for some guidance on this forum. Could you please tell me a bit more about your flower festival that seems to be causing some excitement at the moment. thank you

If you have a passion for elephants you should take a day trip to the Elephant Nature Park which is run by a world renowned Thai elephant conservationist.

The Park is home to 30 rescued elephants and you get a real up close and personal experience including feeding and bathing them in the river. No riding but just watching the natural behaviour of these elepahnt including 4 babies will take you breath away.

Unfortunately on such a short schedule to fit in a day trip would mean missing out on the many other delights of Chiang Mai.

Any chance of sneaking an extra day in CM and less time in Krabi?

Chiangmai can't be sum within a Day .

and packing too much in your one day trip can really make it a spoil event ..

The flora event is a huge 470 Rai ( Not less then 1,000 ( yes one thousand ) basketball court size i estimate )

so if you want to finsh it within one day .. you must be one real good fast viewing jogger .

The Doi Suthep is a nice place to check out .. and if you go on you can see Doi Pui . just a little more upload after the temple .

You might wanna start your day like 4 am -5 am and check out the market .

and then go to the doi suthep early ..

Is close to winter in thailand .. and the sun set real early as early a 6 pm ..

which give you more or less about 12 hour . for your any event if you start at 6 am .

.well . my suggestion is 2 days . one is abit rush . you will miss many thing and might not be the best way to feel and exp chaingmai