Sweeping Bangkok terror raids prompt fears of secret detentions

webfact

Sweeping Bangkok terror raids prompt fears of secret detentions

By Teeranai Charuvastra, Staff Reporter -

109978.jpg

Police commandos on Monday raid a building in Bangkok as part of a counterterrorism operation.

BANGKOK — A civil rights watchdog called on the military government Thursday to say how many people were arrested during a counterterrorism operation in the capital on Tuesday.

Police said Thursday that 10 people were being held by the military in connection with a plot to bomb Suvarnabhumi Airport and other landmarks, but a regional coordinator for Human Rights Watch said the number could be as high as 33.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crimecourtscalamity/2016/10/13/sweeping-bangkok-terror-raids-prompt-fears-secret-detentions/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2016-10-13

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems these raids are for no real reason, except for the RTP to be seen to be doing something, so far no reason given for this raid, or, the one a few days back. I'm betting it's because these people may just be activists... NOT terrorists.

Seems these raids are for no real reason, except for the RTP to be seen to be doing something, so far no reason given for this raid, or, the one a few days back. I'm betting it's because these people may just be activists... NOT terrorists.

Raids
The other 23 got fined 4,000 baht

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just now, ScotBkk said:

Raids
The other 23 got fined 4,000 baht

Is that the students... and why were they find, surely if they were "terrorist" suspects, they would get more than a fine.

Is that the students... and why were they find, surely if they were "terrorist" suspects, they would get more than a fine.

Your well informed' try reading about Farangs not living at right address DUH !!

1 minute ago, ScotBkk said:

Your well informed' try reading about Farangs not living at right address DUH !!

Um, this story is about "terror"  raids, I'm not interested in farangs and where they live, or don't live... that is just another of Thailand's stupid rules.

Unfortunately  with a Junta they are a law unto themselves , they will lie to the UN about human rights then deny people basic rights, they don't care what is said about them they don't even care if the country is ruined they only care about themselves, on another level,  they are very similar to that other friendly country of Prayut's,  China.....................................:coffee1:

10 minutes ago, chainarong said:

Unfortunately  with a Junta they are a law unto themselves , they will lie to the UN about human rights then deny people basic rights, they don't care what is said about them they don't even care if the country is ruined they only care about themselves, on another level,  they are very similar to that other friendly country of Prayut's,  China.....................................:coffee1:

Someone had said, "The UN is not my father".

Um, this story is about "terror"  raids, I'm not interested in farangs and where they live, or don't live... that is just another of Thailand's stupid rules.

Your really quick on the uptake my friend (Slow) in other words my retort was called - HUMOUR !!!!

3 hours ago, ScotBkk said:

Your really quick on the uptake my friend (Slow) in other words my retort was called - HUMOUR !!!!

My sense of "humour" seems vastly different to yours.

Humour definition: the quality of being amusing or comic, especially as expressed in literature or speech.

My sense of "humour" seems vastly different to yours.

Humour definition: the quality of being amusing or comic, especially as expressed in literature or speech.

Are you really That sad mate? If TV members opinions make you so irate try thrashing the missus or kick the dog up the arse or go for a walk. Don't need to vent your anger in public my friend ...

I always wanted to be a comedian but everybody just kept laughing at me ..,.,

7 hours ago, ScotBkk said:

Are you really That sad mate? If TV members opinions make you so irate try thrashing the missus or kick the dog up the arse or go for a walk. Don't need to vent your anger in public my friend ...

I always wanted to be a comedian but everybody just kept laughing at me ..,.,

Wow, you are aggressive. I fail to see any "anger" in my comment, but hey, going by your comments I can see why you would get things wrong.

1 hour ago, gk10002000 said:

Nothing new here.  The military junta that took over can do whatever they want, and probably have.  They are not required by anybody or anything to open themselves up in any way, shape or form.  They are operating without oversight, or civilian control. 

Yes, it is scary, isn't it? And certain high-level allegiances have now been formed and deals done that make them - if anything - even more untouchable (hard though that be to imagine!). 

2 hours ago, trogers said:

What have you done to fear?

Personally, I have nothing to fear as I am not Thai and I do none of the following:-

Read a book by George Orwell (in public)

Meet with another 4 people to discuss politics

Ask questions about the unusual wealth of certain people

Question the financial arrangements for a new national monument

Criticize a military coup

"Like” a facebook post

Hold an unpopular opinion regarding the system of government in Thailand.

6 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

Personally, I have nothing to fear as I am not Thai and I do none of the following:-

Read a book by George Orwell (in public)

Meet with another 4 people to discuss politics

Ask questions about the unusual wealth of certain people

Question the financial arrangements for a new national monument

Criticize a military coup

"Like” a facebook post

Hold an unpopular opinion regarding the system of government in Thailand.

I'm sure you've stepped on the cracks of the footpath which must convey some subliminal message that's somehow illegal !    :shock1:

17 hours ago, NongKhaiKid said:

Secrecy here, never !

When the junta took control they promised transparency in all they did and have certainly lived up to their promise !      :whistling: 

All politicians promise transparency when running for election....then pull down the shutters if they get in.

To all you commenters, I hope you are now wondering what your lives will be like for the next few months..

I am thinking that your lives, at least for the expats in Thailand will be changed as of today..

I am hoping to have a real great Holiday in Thailand after Jan2 2017. Good Luck to you all

until then.  For myself, I have not had a negative attitude of the present Government and of

he military, as they have a very difficult job to do, especially now.  I do remember the past,

and it was not as rosy as some of you  seem to remember

Geezer

18 hours ago, NongKhaiKid said:

Secrecy here, never !

When the junta took control they promised transparency in all they did and have certainly lived up to their promise !      :whistling: 

Yes, go tell Terrorist, " We are coming to arrest you, at 7:30 pm "

Good Idea.

6 minutes ago, ChrisY1 said:

Not trying to justify these raids, but these same tactics are happening everywhere now.

A lot of innocents being terrorised.

Note the signs at construction sites across the country. " Safety First " .

Nothing else matters when it comes to stopping these animals.

And remember all the information, is coming from USA, Australia, British , Russian intel.