Insanity on Sukhumvit and Central Rd intersection!

thaibeachlovers

Just found out the hard way about that project when I tried to get to the west side of Sukhumvit Rd. Does anyone in authority connected with that project have a clue ( you don't need to answer that )?

It's like they set out to cause as much disruption as possible, for as long as possible.

If it's just to allow through traffic across the intersection, why didn't they just build an overpass, like they did down near Sri Racha? No need to answer that either. The reason is obvious to any that know anything about LOS. An underpass is obviously more expensive, therefore ........................................!!!

What annoyed me immensely was that the pavement has been destroyed, pedestrians are required to walk through the muck, and it doesn't look like that is going to change any time soon.

When I used the footbridge, I could see the traffic backed up to North Rd. and probably beyond.

What is even more frustrating though, is that they apparently plan to repeat the same folly on the North and South Rd intersections.

Where have you been for the last 2/3 years -  no need to answer that.

This topic has been done to death but I cannot be a*sed to look up the previous link although I am sure some other helpful soul will..........:coffee1:

6 minutes ago, topt said:

Where have you been for the last 2/3 years -  no need to answer that.

This topic has been done to death but I cannot be a*sed to look up the previous link although I am sure some other helpful soul will..........:coffee1:

Not in Pattaya except for holiday and didn't go up there.

53 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

I guess the OP was trying to get to the Dark Side? How will this newly discovered 'inconvenience' affect his mongering regular Pattaya updates and how his fresh pair of eyes sees the decline and fall of inevitable changes in Pattaya?

I dont understand why a Thai beach lover would be heading darkside anyways.

8 hours ago, Don Mega said:

I dont understand why a Thai beach lover would be heading darkside anyways.

Quite right.

Perhaps a certain poster ( not you ) doesn't understand that there is a  certain place on Sukhumvit that I had to go- nothing to do with bars.

Pity that there's always someone that has to be a clown instead of addressing the subject of a serious topic.

17 minutes ago, joepattaya1961 said:

Don't worry.......it is predicted that the project will be completed by the end of February 2017......:)

It seems to be progressing well. I would not be surprised if it finished on schedule, or close. Of course once the current ones are finished they will presumably start on the next phases, and this will bring more jams.

Just drive the Suk in direction to Bangkok Hospital. Soon you can do a U-Turn and heading th the darkside. Easy. 

About the pavement, you shouldn't anyway drive on the pavement. That's bad behavior. So leave it to the pedestrians.

Edited by alocacoc

2 minutes ago, alocacoc said:

Just drive the Suk in direction to Bangkok Hospital. Soon you can do a U-Turn and heading th the darkside. Easy. 

The OP is concerned about footpaths so Iam kinda thinking he was not in a car.

Doing the U-turn can land you into some snarly traffic, easier to take the motorway exit then turn left to get down onto the by-pass.

1 hour ago, alocacoc said:

About the pavement, you shouldn't anyway drive on the pavement. That's bad behavior. So leave it to the pedestrians.

Why do some on here assume that all farang expats are wealthy and have a vehicle?

I am talking about pedestrians trying to get across. Before they could cross anywhere, if they ran, now far as I can see there is only the footbridge by Central Rd. That is why I am extremely PO.

8 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Why do some on here assume that all farang expats are wealthy and have a vehicle?

I am talking about pedestrians trying to get across. Before they could cross anywhere, if they ran, now far as I can see there is only the footbridge by Central Rd. That is why I am extremely PO.

Yeah much better to play chicken with the traffic than use a footbridge.

1 minute ago, Don Mega said:

Yeah much better to play chicken with the traffic than use a footbridge.

The point that you clearly didn't get, is that there aren't any, except one by Central Rd. Would YOU walk 2 miles in the heat to use it, or run?

BTW, are you even in Pattaya or ever been there? One has to play chicken on EVERY road in town, as there are ZERO footbridges.

6 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

The point that you clearly didn't get, is that there aren't any, except one by Central Rd. Would YOU walk 2 miles in the heat to use it, or run?

BTW, are you even in Pattaya or ever been there? One has to play chicken on EVERY road in town, as there are ZERO footbridges.

The point seems to be the only one time you had to crossover you were forced to use the footbridge and are angry about it.

And Correct, I do not live in Pattaya.. Iam across the other side of Suk road but Iam  (using your terms) wealthy and own a car and playing chicken with the idiots that try to cross over on the road is a fun past time.

55 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

The point seems to be the only one time you had to crossover you were forced to use the footbridge and are angry about it.

And Correct, I do not live in Pattaya.. Iam across the other side of Suk road but Iam  (using your terms) wealthy and own a car and playing chicken with the idiots that try to cross over on the road is a fun past time.

LOL. I am not angry about using the footbridge as I use them, but it's that there is no way across other than trekking miles in the heat to get to the one and only.

I get angry because the clowns that are running the chaos don't care about the chaos and are doing nothing to alleviate it for anyone, when they could.

3 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

LOL. I am not angry about using the footbridge as I use them, but it's that there is no way across other than trekking miles in the heat to get to the one and only.

I get angry because the clowns that are running the chaos don't care about the chaos and are doing nothing to alleviate it for anyone, when they could.

To my knowledge there has only ever been the one footbridge hence Iam struggling to see what your point is.

31 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

To my knowledge there has only ever been the one footbridge hence Iam struggling to see what your point is.

REALLY?

The point is that if they are going to block off access across the road ( where everyone used to cross ) for miles, they should have provided more footbridges.

Not everyone drives in Pattaya.

8 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

REALLY?

The point is that if they are going to block off access across the road ( where everyone used to cross ) for miles, they should have provided more footbridges.

Not everyone drives in Pattaya.

I think you seriously over estimate how many used to run the gauntlet and attempt an actual crossing through the traffic.

How long have you lived in Pattaya for ?

The only 'legal' pedestrian crossing was at the Central/Suk junction, anything south of that is probably South Pattaya intersection itself.

Between North and Central rd, there used to be a a small bridge in the middle of the ditch/central reservation, but even getting across the 3 lanes of traffic to get to the middle, and again to the other side is quite perilous.

If it's the central rd. intersection crossing at the lights that you missed, you'd only need to walk a few minutes north to the pedestrian crossing bridge, which they'd even had the decency to provide a temporary one while they remove the old one and have a new one built, at one time when they were moving utilities underground into the sidewalk they even had concrete barriers block a path into the road for pedestrian to walk.   

2 minutes ago, digbeth said:

If it's the central rd. intersection crossing at the lights that you missed, you'd only need to walk a few minutes north to the pedestrian crossing bridge,

Which traffic lights are they ?

I'm a little confused.  There are at least 2 foot bridges across Sukhumvit.  One at Central Pattaya Rd and one at South Pattaya Rd.  Has that changed?  There also used to be a pedestrian crossing at Central but that is probably gone with the construction. 

So what are we talking about here?  Yes construction is always an inconvenience but you still have the foot bridge do you not?  It's not half a mile away either.  Its right there at Central.  A little to the side.  I have taken it many times.  I understand that its location is a bit less convenient and that much harder going up those stairs in the heat.  I get that.  Been there done that.  

The pedestrian crossing was more convenient but as others have said, you are playing chicken with traffic. So the footbridge was always the smarter choice and worth the extra effort imo.  I am looking forward to the underpass.  I think it will help a lot as Central is starting to regularly back up with traffic.  Don't know if there are plans for a pedestrian walkway through the underpass.   Baht buses may even start going straight through if there is enough demand and there probably will be.

Underpasses make more sense to me...assuming they don't flood.  The idea was probably not to disrupt sukhumvit traffic as opposed to local traffic taking the underpasses.  Labour is cheap so it probably wasn't that much more expensive. 

Edited by lapd

16 hours ago, Don Mega said:

I think you seriously over estimate how many used to run the gauntlet and attempt an actual crossing through the traffic.

How long have you lived in Pattaya for ?

LOL. Given the well beaten track across the median at the south end of the fence I think you could well be mistaken. Before the construction there were several tracks across the median. Of course those driving wouldn't notice them.

I think you seriously underestimate how many arrive by bus and used to walk across the median to get a baht bus at the top of Central Rd.

I lived in Pattaya a year full time but I have been visiting frequently for over 20 years. I also frequently arrived by bus at the Central Rd intersection.

5 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

LOL. Given the well beaten track across the median at the south end of the fence I think you could well be mistaken. Before the construction there were several tracks across the median. Of course those driving wouldn't notice them.

I think you seriously underestimate how many arrive by bus and used to walk across the median to get a baht bus at the top of Central Rd.

I lived in Pattaya a year full time but I have been visiting frequently for over 20 years. I also frequently arrived by bus at the Central Rd intersection.

So not been living in Pattaya for long, explains a lot.

8 hours ago, lapd said:

I'm a little confused.  There are at least 2 foot bridges across Sukhumvit.  One at Central Pattaya Rd and one at South Pattaya Rd.  Has that changed?  There also used to be a pedestrian crossing at Central but that is probably gone with the construction. 

So what are we talking about here?  Yes construction is always an inconvenience but you still have the foot bridge do you not?  It's not half a mile away either.  Its right there at Central.  A little to the side.  I have taken it many times.  I understand that its location is a bit less convenient and that much harder going up those stairs in the heat.  I get that.  Been there done that.  

The pedestrian crossing was more convenient but as others have said, you are playing chicken with traffic. So the footbridge was always the smarter choice and worth the extra effort imo.  I am looking forward to the underpass.  I think it will help a lot as Central is starting to regularly back up with traffic.  Don't know if there are plans for a pedestrian walkway through the underpass.   Baht buses may even start going straight through if there is enough demand and there probably will be.

Underpasses make more sense to me...assuming they don't flood.  The idea was probably not to disrupt sukhumvit traffic as opposed to local traffic taking the underpasses.  Labour is cheap so it probably wasn't that much more expensive. 

Actually, an overpass similar to that at Sri Ratcha would be ideal, cause less disruption, be finished more quickly and would have cost less.