TV

dick dasterdly

Just now, madmax2 said:

They are mostly normal on Rawi cable but  on the much more expensive True satellite they are not 

Yes, I have TrueVision and all the channels have been showing the same programme since yesterday a.m.

Does anyone know how long the governmment broadcast (on all channels) will last?

29 minutes ago, LivinginKata said:

All normal on Karon cable. On the car radio all channels also seem to be the same government feed.

I assume Karon cable is like Rawai cable?

All the TrueVision channels (for which we pay a lot of money....) are showing nothing other than the one programme.

Has the programming been taken over for the weekend (plus Friday) - or is it considered entertainment, and banned for the month?

Edited by dick dasterdly

About 20% of the Kamala Digital  channels are back, but it really doesn't matter, there was never anything worth watching, unless you like screaming, crying, people staring endlessly at each other, someone beating the crap out of a woman, and or shooting someone. Followed by a whitening cream commercial.

24 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

I assume Karon cable is like Rawai cable?

All the TrueVision channels (for which we pay a lot of money....) are showing nothing other than the one programme.

Has the programming been taken over for the weekend (plus Friday) - or is it considered entertainment, and banned for the month?

Yes, all these cable channels are from the same Phuket TV feed. I have not seen any information from the government web sites about how long this will go on.  I just hope we keep our cable feed, but might be the gov steps on it soon. 

I have True & today been watching rugby on Setanta, news on CNN & BBC. Also some of the documentary channels are back to normal programming. However, many of the channels are showing the government broadcast in honour of the king.

Edited by Valentine

Thailand obviously has a central, government controlled TV feed. Supposedly, after midnight last night, the individual broadcasters were free to choose their own programming -- so long as it complied with the government's standards about no "entertainment," strong emotions, violence, etc etc.

So perhaps the problem is, once you rule out all those various elements as no-no's, just what exactly would be left from the normal Thai TV fare that WOULD be acceptable under those government standards. Not much... except for government-issued and cleared "news."  And there really hasn't been much of that in the past 24 hours from all indications.

It's going to be interesting to see how this plays out in the coming days and weeks. A month is a pretty long time to have "nothing but..." ... if it really ends up going that way.  Most ordinary Thais, I suspect, don't have the same access to all the various international TV content that most of us here do.  But they do have some semblance of the Internet...

18 minutes ago, Valentine said:

I have True & today been watching rugby on Setanta, news on CNN & BBC. Also some of the documentary channels are back to normal programming. However, many of the channels are showing the government broadcast in honour of the king.

Lucky you - I'm still getting nothing other than the government broadcast on all channels.

I can understand why the government would control all channels to ensure the mourning period - but would be interested to find out how long it is going to last.

The weekend or 30 days?

2 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

All English language sports and news channels are back to normal plus most of the History/Discover/Nat Geo channels and Cartoon Network and CBeebies. Movie channels still only showing Royal footage except for Fox Family movies.

Interesting description. From what you said is back and not back...

That would kind of suggest the ban on "entertainment" et. al.  might be being construed as covering adult (I don't mean XXX) programming and movies. But apparently not including factual-type content and children's programming.

Although, my local small cable system in BKK has brought back the English language version of the Universal Channel, which is entirely adult fictional entertainment programming, and some foreign news channels.  But all the normal Thai entertainment stuff remains gone, including several Thai-language cartoon networks.

Perhaps they're also more focused on controlling the Thai language content that's going to be consumed by the local population, as opposed to the English language content with presumably a much more limited and more non-Thai audience.

Update: Interesting, flipped through my Happy Home Cable lineup in BKK just now, and things have changed from last night. A couple of True Sport channels that were off the air yesterday are back on today, as are a couple of Thai channels right now that are showing various non-King related, very bland public affairs type programming. But no "entertainment" that I can find on any Thai channels.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK