Worst country to be a car guy?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 hours ago, Strange said:

From what I read, 1UZ comes with cast steel crank & rods with hyperutectic pistons. Its a good engine no doubt, but to get to the 1000 hp mark (and live there for a while) is going to cost a fortune (literally) in aftermarket rotating assembly, machine work, porting, drivetrain, etc... 

And I mean at this cost, a simple SBC + turbo even imported would probably be about the same cost (for equal HP) and parts are everywhere. Better flowing heads and custom grind camshafts for cheaper... 

No hate but sheeeeeiiiiiiit money money

unopened 1uz with Twin china spec turbos will go to 650hp reliably on corn juice with decapped stock injectors and a simple ECU flash.

push toward the 1000hp mark its gunna want crank/rods/pistons.

3 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

unopened 1uz with Twin china spec turbos will go to 650hp reliably on corn juice with decapped stock injectors and a simple ECU flash.

push toward the 1000hp mark its gunna want crank/rods/pistons.

And "gearbox"....:whistling:

45 minutes ago, Strange said:

+ a big ass tranny cooler

well yeah there's that and if it was mine it also get a full manual valve body and a 3500 convertor.

Building a diff to take it in Thailand might be a challenge.

23 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

well yeah there's that and if it was mine it also get a full manual valve body and a 3500 convertor.

Building a diff to take it in Thailand might be a challenge.

No doubt the 1UZ and stock auto can and will live at 650 even on 95 no problem. Its kinda like the LSx at home, junkyard motor with a single turbo doing 9's all day driving around like nothing. The only thing is the tune-up over here for the 1UZ + Turbo. All the "parts" are here but the problem is the tune. 

Evolution of the car here, was doing 10's with some of the most absolute junk parts ever. on3 china turbo as well. 

https://sites.google.com/site/sloppywiki/sloppy-builds/fairmont-3-0

These guys are pretty cool. Car is a brick with plastic hubcaps. 9.68 @ 145

17 hours ago, Strange said:

How exactly are you doing the tuning? 

With VEMS standalone

16 hours ago, Strange said:

Most clunker pickups make that at the crank without an ECU mod 

His 200hp number is too clean as well.

Too clean? What do you mean? An Audi 1.8t AEB with stock K03 turbo running 1.1bar boost does this. I have not dynoed it yet, but based on 55% injector duty cycle of Siemens 630cc injectors (on E85) it is at around 200chp. This is a 20 year car/engine, mind you.

I am an Audi guy and it is what I have to work with. My 96 S6 runs about 260chp, but is much heavier.

Next step is a TD04HL-15G turbo for 240chp+ on the 1.8. Although I would prefer a 19T for 350chp. A bit out of my budget right now.

4 minutes ago, Strange said:

No doubt the 1UZ and stock auto can and will live at 650 even on 95 no problem. Its kinda like the LSx at home, junkyard motor with a single turbo doing 9's all day driving around like nothing. The only thing is the tune-up over here for the 1UZ + Turbo. All the "parts" are here but the problem is the tune. 

Evolution of the car here, was doing 10's with some of the most absolute junk parts ever. on3 china turbo as well. 

A stock A340 can handle 650hp when drag racing? Are sure. I am not convinced.

12 minutes ago, Strange said:

Tune does not worry, Ive access to a dyno and would fit a Haltech elite and have it remote tuned.

Dunno if Id be keen on drag racing the stock auto... daily driver with 650 no worries but put some sticky tyres behind it it will most likely cry.

4 minutes ago, EvilDrSomkid said:

A stock A340 can handle 650hp when drag racing? Are sure. I am not convinced.

For a streetcar that "sees" the track I would not have any problem running it especially since thats what we got here, it bolts right up to the 1uz and job done. 

Foot braking a 650 turbo hp car in a drag race is not the same as dropping the trans brake on a high comp Nitrous car. 

12 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

Tune does not worry, Ive access to a dyno and would fit a Haltech elite and have it remote tuned.

Dunno if Id be keen on drag racing the stock auto... daily driver with 650 no worries but put some sticky tyres behind it it will most likely cry.

Yep but thats an expensive piece and you still got to import it. But yeah can be done. 

I should mention that the car I linked in the youtube vid is using a DIY fuel injection kit with "Batch Fire" or "Bank Fire" injection and EDIS ignition. Hits all 4 injectors on 1 bank at 1 time. The kit is about $350 and supports up to 21 psi in basic form. Also has trans controllers too. This kit and a wideband O2 it pretty neat. 

This is what I was looking at as its cheap, very simple, and easy to retrofit on any engine. Open source and free software. IT would be great over here but it requires a person using it to be pretty "techy". 

https://www.diyautotune.com/product/megasquirt-i-programmable-efi-system-pcb3-0-assembled-unit/

1 minute ago, Strange said:

Yep but thats an expensive piece and you still got to import it. But yeah can be done. 

I should mention that the car I linked in the youtube vid is using a DIY fuel injection kit with "Batch Fire" or "Bank Fire" injection and EDIS ignition. Hits all 4 injectors on 1 bank at 1 time. The kit is about $350 and supports up to 21 psi in basic form. Also has trans controllers too. This kit and a wideband O2 it pretty neat. 

This is what I was looking at as its cheap, very simple, and easy to retrofit on any engine. Open source and free software. IT would be great over here but it requires a person using it to be pretty "techy". 

https://www.diyautotune.com/product/megasquirt-i-programmable-efi-system-pcb3-0-assembled-unit/

I know the guys at Haltech and someone from my work is over in OZ every other week and they can bring it back in their luggage.

Would also buy it with pre-made wiring loom and have a base tune installed.

4 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

I know the guys at Haltech and someone from my work is over in OZ every other week and they can bring it back in their luggage.

Would also buy it with pre-made wiring loom and have a base tune installed.

Lucky mofo. 

Is the Haltech piece sequential? 

7 hours ago, Strange said:

Well, I was going to try and help, but I aint reading a 100+ page thread. I was asking about you and your car. 

Ah ok sorry I misunderstood you.

The tuning was done on a dynojet in Surat using the HKS fcon gold. 

My car was tuned on E85, however I really want something more comfortable so am in the process of selling it. Will probably go for a Lexus/Toyota Altezza with a 1UZ turbo or a Audi Q3 with a big turbo. 

Sounds like some guys here have good experience and contacts with the 1UZ. I knew about decapping injectors, but wasn't clear who could do it here in Thailand. A lot of the Thai people use the HKS FCON. I picked up mine for about 20k baht. 

10 minutes ago, madhav said:

The tuning was done on a dynojet in Surat using the HKS fcon gold. 

Just out of curiosity, what was the issue you were having with the E85 Tune? That ECU should be more than enough to handle fuel/spark

2 minutes ago, Strange said:

Just out of curiosity, what was the issue you were having with the E85 Tune? That ECU should be more than enough to handle fuel/spark

There was no issue tuning E85 with the FCON, it is the VAG 2.0tsi platform I was referring to. I don't any of the tuning companies like APR etc offering it at all. 

12 hours ago, Don Mega said:

Have not done the research yet - but imagine with a careful foot the stock auto should survive daily driver duties. And 500 HP with just the addition of forged pistons and multi-steel head gasket would be my first step. Haltech sounds good too - must get crackin' on the numbers. Wanted a Hot Rod here for a while, got my drag bike just about finished, so looking for a new project. Old Vigo, bags, 1UZ twin turbo - sounds good.

Just now, canthai55 said:

addition of forged pistons and multi-steel head gasket would be my first step

Hyperutectic pistons are fine for 500+ hp, the problem is the tune. Can not ever let it get lean or it will blow a hole in the piston (at high cylinder pressures) and the ignition timing should be kept conservative. This is why imho the implementation of a wideband O2 is imperative. You can keep an eye in real time on a/f and datalog it too.

The MLS Gasket requires a certain RA finish on the heads and deck to gain the most out of them. Swapping in a MLS isn't really a gain in anything unless everything is properly machined to the right RA. Im sure its available here, but I wouldn't even know where to start looking for a place that can do this. 

Swapping all 8 pistons & rings on a high mileage used engine without machine work isn't something I would personally do. Can it be done? Maybe, but personally I would rather keep the worn in ring seal it has now. Especially when playing mad-scientist in the beginning, if you grenade an engine, just buy a new (used) one for 20-30k. 

Just a couple thoughts..... 

32 minutes ago, Strange said:

Hyperutectic pistons are fine for 500+ hp, the problem is the tune. Can not ever let it get lean or it will blow a hole in the piston (at high cylinder pressures) and the ignition timing should be kept conservative. This is why imho the implementation of a wideband O2 is imperative. You can keep an eye in real time on a/f and datalog it too.

The MLS Gasket requires a certain RA finish on the heads and deck to gain the most out of them. Swapping in a MLS isn't really a gain in anything unless everything is properly machined to the right RA. Im sure its available here, but I wouldn't even know where to start looking for a place that can do this. 

Swapping all 8 pistons & rings on a high mileage used engine without machine work isn't something I would personally do. Can it be done? Maybe, but personally I would rather keep the worn in ring seal it has now. Especially when playing mad-scientist in the beginning, if you grenade an engine, just buy a new (used) one for 20-30k. 

Just a couple thoughts..... 

And that raises another question, are there any competent engine machinists in Thailand ?

If I was going to build an engine I would have the short motor done offshore (USA/UK or Aus) and then import it.10% import duties on second hand parts is cheap insurance to have something built correctly.

6 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

And that raises another question, are there any competent engine machinists in Thailand ?

If I was going to build an engine I would have the short motor done offshore (USA/UK or Aus) and then import it.10% import duties on second hand parts is cheap insurance to have something built correctly.

I have no idea but I doubt it. I mean the outlay for just the equipment for such a niche market makes it very unlikely.

Anyway this is the exact point that turns me away from engine building here. You can't just take your parts over to the local machine shop and get everything trued up like at home and you don't have access to parts either. 

Personally, I wouldn't even try and build an engine or import one. I would just take the used ones and play mad-scientist cause its cheap and who cares if you blow it up. Import a 1UZ maybe, as at least you can find water pumps & stuff locally. 

In real life, 600 hp at the tire is more than most people have ever even seen. Id rather drive a toy beater and do 330 foot burnouts and smoke the richie-ritches in mercedes on the tollway and not care if it blows up. 

Back in the UK you can do what ever you want to a ride as long as it can pass an MOT and be insured..

If it's an old original body the test computers do not have the info installed. My '76 Pontiac did not have info to follow on the PC so it always passed.

My friend has a 1938 Willys, it now has a 7.5 litre V8 engine and auto box, tube chassis Jag brakes etc..It is tested as a 1938 ride...:smile:

Willysmod09d.jpg

My other chum has a '71 Vauxhall Ferenza, originally had a 1500cc 4 pot, it now has a 6.3 litre V8 under the hood, no problem...

15 minutes ago, transam said:

Back in the UK you can do what ever you want to a ride as long as it can pass an MOT and be insured..

In my state (florida) there is no inspections or emissions testing at all. Pig rich carb and open headers "legal" however annoying it might be to anyone around you. Same with motorcycles. 

Insurance easy as shit too if you lie about your mods and that only really matters with huge engine swaps. Its enough to get the cops off your back if you get pulled over, just don't crash lol. 

2 minutes ago, Strange said:

In my state (florida) there is no inspections or emissions testing at all. Pig rich carb and open headers "legal" however annoying it might be to anyone around you. Same with motorcycles. 

Insurance easy as shit too if you lie about your mods and that only really matters with huge engine swaps. Its enough to get the cops off your back if you get pulled over, just don't crash lol. 

We rodders in the UK are lucky regarding insurance. There are a couple of insurers who will insure any tuned ride as long as you fit their criteria, I had a 'possible' 700hp (N20) under the hood and cost me less than my Volvo road car to insure..

Clean drivers license.

Agreed value.

Belong to a car club.

3000 miles per year limit.

Garaged at night.

N20 not connected on the street.

My friend had a '71blown 5.8 Camaro, no problem..

7 minutes ago, transam said:

We rodders in the UK are lucky regarding insurance. There are a couple of insurers who will insure any tuned ride as long as you fit their criteria, I had a 'possible' 700hp (N20) under the hood and cost me less than my Volvo road car to insure..

Clean drivers license.

Agreed value.

Belong to a car club.

3000 miles per year limit.

Garaged at night.

N20 not connected on the street.

My friend had a '71blown 5.8 Camaro, no problem..

We have the same too but I never had it or really looked into it. The mileage thing is a killer cause I drive a lot. Its expensive too. I BS the insurance company on mods so I can legally drive the car everywhere for cheap. Like $100 a month for 2 cars and a truck and I'm legal police wise and can drive it like a daily driver (for the most part). God help me if I crash though. 

How much, on average, does it cost you guys over there?

1 hour ago, Strange said:

We have the same too but I never had it or really looked into it. The mileage thing is a killer cause I drive a lot. Its expensive too. I BS the insurance company on mods so I can legally drive the car everywhere for cheap. Like $100 a month for 2 cars and a truck and I'm legal police wise and can drive it like a daily driver (for the most part). God help me if I crash though. 

How much, on average, does it cost you guys over there?

As you know the mileage thing was a non event....:stoner:

Going back ten years but then it was 200 UK pounds for one year...First class cover..

Just now, transam said:

As you know the mileage thing was a non event....:stoner:

Going back ten years but then it was 200 UK pounds for one year...First class cover..

Lol thats actually cheap as hell. It might be a good idea for me to start to look into being a responsible adult when I get back home. Ill be 35 soon and can't afford to get busted again for anything. Ill lose my license permanently. 

Plus they are trying to make street racing a felony in some states.