Flat raided in Prawet could be center of "Romance Scam" operation

webfact

Flat raided in Prawet could be center of "Romance Scam" operation

11.jpg

Picture: Sanook

BANGKOK: -- Crime Suppression Division police armed with a search warrant checked a premises in a mansion building in the Prawet district of Bangkok on Thursday.

Officers from the CSD's international crime section arrested a foreign national who was only described as "dark skinned".

Taken into evidence were computer notebooks. bankbooks, ATM cards and a quantity of marijuana.

Evidence of the transfer of funds was found on the computers that are being checked in detail to ascertain whether they were used as part of a "Romance Scam".

Source: Sanook

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2016-10-17

They run pretty well organized "Express Package" scams on women using dating websites...especially "Date in Asia"

A target will get a series of ardent letters from an "Oil Worker" or some other high paid transient occupation. After a bit of time, he announces he is coming to Thailand to marry her.  He has many gifts for her and her family...gold, IPhones, cameras, ect including a sizeable bundle of cash.  He can't carry them through airport security so he is sending it to her, using a special secret courier company only used by the Oil companies.  He emails very authentic looking shipping documents as well as a functioning Air Courier website that actually accepts and displays tracking information as the shipment goes place to place. Suddenly an anguished phone call...he is in transit.  The cargo plane had to make an emergency landing in Malaysia and the customs there wants $1000+++++ to release the package. Please Darling...Send the money to this bank account...if you have to borrow from a friend, tell them I will pay back double. 

I knew two very savvy girls who fell for this one.  When you want to believe something, It's hard to ignore.

6 minutes ago, dddave said:

They run pretty well organized "Express Package" scams on women using dating websites...especially "Date in Asia"

A target will get a series of ardent letters from an "Oil Worker" or some other high paid transient occupation. After a bit of time, he announces he is coming to Thailand to marry her.  He has many gifts for her and her family...gold, IPhones, cameras, ect including a sizeable bundle of cash.  He can't carry them through airport security so he is sending it to her, using a special secret courier company only used by the Oil companies.  He emails very authentic looking shipping documents as well as a functioning Air Courier website that actually accepts and displays tracking information as the shipment goes place to place. Suddenly an anguished phone call...he is in transit.  The cargo plane had to make an emergency landing in Malaysia and the customs there wants $1000+++++ to release the package. Please Darling...Send the money to this bank account...if you have to borrow from a friend, tell them I will pay back double. 

I knew two very savvy girls who fell for this one.  When you want to believe something, It's hard to ignore.

That's what they do? No kidding

18 minutes ago, dddave said:

10 minutes ago, gdgbb said:

That's what they do? No kidding

dddave wouldn't kid you.

How to spot a romance scammer:

They usually have a name that is any  combination of 2 first names. Ie-  David Henry, Henry David, Michael Gregory, Gregory Michael, Peter John, John Peter ... I could go on

Google their FB image and it is a stock image, or a foreign public figure

My GF has had friend requests from a few of these frauds, so I consider myself an expert debunker

Edited by FarangKenStine

My friend has been chatting to this man for over a year he had photo of him and his daughter,last month he said i want to come to see you i will arrive on the Sunday but i cannot meet you till after Monday because i have to sign a deal with a Bangkok firm, he sent a photo of his Quator air line ticket to her,on the Tuesday he asked her to send 30.000 bht because he was short of funds,so she asked me about it i told her he is a scammer,then he phoned her asking for the money when she said no a Thai women came on the phone,so my friend said can you talk to my police man standing here he wants to ask you questions straight away she put the phone down,now Facebook and his Tagged profile has gone.

6 hours ago, FarangKenStine said:

How to spot a romance scammer:

They usually have a name that is any  combination of 2 first names. Ie-  David Henry, Henry David, Michael Gregory, Gregory Michael, Peter John, John Peter ... I could go on

Google their FB image and it is a stock image, or a foreign public figure

My GF has had friend requests from a few of these frauds, so I consider myself an expert debunker

Just love that Americanism, "debunker"!

No genuine business uses Western Union for payments. I tried to convince a woman in Mong Cai, Vietnam that her (unknown) relatives wouldn't be sending her a treasure "via London". 

It looks like the perp is shown sitting in the background with his hands cuffed? Enough said.