Australian expert warns of Irukandji in Phuket

webfact

Expert warns of Irukandji in Phuket

Chris Husted

1476509601_1-org.jpg

A beach sign warns tourists of the jellyfish found in Phuket, but not Irukandji. Photo: Tanyaluk Sakoot

PHUKET: -- A leading Australian marine biologist and jellyfish expert has raised serious concerns that the recent salp bloom that saw thousands of specimens wash ashore Phuket’s west coast weeks ago could indicate the presence of deadly Irukandji box jellyfish.

The alarm was raised when thousands of tiny, translucent “jellies” – now identified as salp – were found washed up along a 10-kilometre stretch of Phuket’s west coast on Sept 18, with reports that contact with the jellies resulted in a rash.

Yet it is now believed that the arrival of salp in such great numbers may indicate the arrival of much more harmful, possibly deadly, jellyfish: Irukandji.

Although Phuket has never suffered a box jellyfish fatality on record, what makes the Irukandji so different is that its victims are often wrongly diagnosed as suffering from food poisoning, a severe allergic reaction or anaphylactic shock, explains Dr Lisa-ann Gershwin, a globally recognised leading researcher who has spent 18 years studying jellyfish, with a focus on Irukandji species.

“The salps are not as harmless as they may seem,” Dr Gershwin told The Phuket News. “The salps themselves are not able to sting, but they co-occur and indicate the presence of small, transparent jellyfish called Irukandji that are highly dangerous.

“Salps very often co-occur with Irukandjis in tropical waters, and salps are the most visible indicator that Irukandjis are infesting,” she said.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/expert-warns-of-irukandji-in-phuket-59486.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2016-10-17

Those creatures are the reason you cant swim in the tropical waters of Australia at certain times of the year, well them and crocodiles and and.

A scientific study is required, allowing tourists to be stung then a process of denial or diversion is not going to help maintain or grow tourism.

1 hour ago, Oziex1 said:

Those creatures are the reason you cant swim in the tropical waters of Australia at certain times of the year, well them and crocodiles and and.

A scientific study is required, allowing tourists to be stung then a process of denial or diversion is not going to help maintain or grow tourism.

As Irukandji stings are often fatal, this is probably not a good idea.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irukandji_jellyfish

A diver, and former member on this forum, posted some pics several years ago he had taken near Kata beach of what looked like Irukanji.

He refused to accept that they were likely to be that particular jelly, instead insisted they were box jellyfish. While they are of the same genus, they are much smaller than the better known and very deadly, Box Jellyfish or Sea wasp.

9 hours ago, masuk said:

As Irukandji stings are often fatal, this is probably not a good idea.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irukandji_jellyfish

I am going to assume that Oziex1 made a simple punctuation error which changed his meaning. (my first reading of it was the same as yours Masuk)

If you add a full stop then capital A it changes to (is required. Allowing) and makes more sense.

I'm sorry, but is there a scientific paper indicating a connection between salps and these dangerous jellyfish?  If so, this should have been mentioned. If not, this claim probably opens the source to lawsuits, given that these warnings are then based on anecdotal observations of one person and not scientific evidence. It's kinda dangerous to run to the press with such claims if they aren't supported by data from the scientific community. 

Edited by Tomtom35

12 minutes ago, Tomtom35 said:

I'm sorry, but is there a scientific paper indicating a connection between salps and these dangerous jellyfish?  If so, this should have been mentioned. If not, this claim probably opens the "expert" to lawsuits, given that these warnings are then based on anecdotal observations of one person and not scientific evidence. It's kinda dangerous to run to the press with such claims if they aren't supported by data from the scientific community. 

18yrs studying jellyfish, focusing mainly on Irukandji, is hardly "anecdotal observations" !!!

I would be more inclined to take the advice of a well respected marine biologist, than wait for TAT to proclaim that tourist numbers are rising yet again due to the complete lack of any type of jellyfish in Thailand :)

1 hour ago, Tomtom35 said:

I'm sorry, but is there a scientific paper indicating a connection between salps and these dangerous jellyfish?  If so, this should have been mentioned. If not, this claim probably opens the source to lawsuits, given that these warnings are then based on anecdotal observations of one person and not scientific evidence. It's kinda dangerous to run to the press with such claims if they aren't supported by data from the scientific community. 

I'm sorry too, I'm sorry  that you find an 18 year study, by a well respected  Australian marine biologist, so hard to accept, you really are a hard person to please.

Edited by Rorri

I'm sorry, but is there a scientific paper indicating a connection between salps and these dangerous jellyfish?  If so, this should have been mentioned. If not, this claim probably opens the "expert" to lawsuits, given that these warnings are then based on anecdotal observations of one person and not scientific evidence. It's kinda dangerous to run to the press with such claims if they aren't supported by data from the scientific community. 

12 minutes ago, Tomtom35 said:

No one said this isn't true. I just asked for clarification and if there are any scientific studies or evidence showing this link or a logical basis for why it would exist. If we are just going on one person's experienced word, no matter if they've worked on one of the groups of animals for a long time, some evidence beyond that would be necessary... especially if this dialogue is going to affect people's livelihoods. That's not being hard to please. A reasonable response would be to provide this. 

Perhaps this might help alleviate your concerns. Took less then 5 seconds, on google.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lisa-Ann_Gershwin

No. That did not answer the question at all regarding scientific evidence that salps and these guys follow each other. There are a lot of jellyfish scientists and they may disagree over such a thing, while all have scientific acumen. Also, Wikipedia is not scientific consensus. 

5 hours ago, Rorri said:

I'm sorry too, I'm sorry  that you find an 18 year study, by a well respected  Australian marine biologist, so hard to accept, you really are a hard person to please.

Croyki mite, thinks fer thet.

6 hours ago, Tomtom35 said:

No. That did not answer the question at all regarding scientific evidence that salps and these guys follow each other. There are a lot of jellyfish scientists and they may disagree over such a thing, while all have scientific acumen. Also, Wikipedia is not scientific consensus. 

You do realise that a "scientific paper" does NOT  prove the publisher is correct, it only details their research, which in many circumstances has been proven to be WRONG. So if I was you I'don't get over this need for such a paper.

Edited by Rorri

Most people do not realize that a science paper conclusions are not the final word on the subject. Science builds upon itself over time (hopefully), sometimes new research will concur with earlier studies and sometimes it will raise doubts about the conclusions and method from an earlier study.

The goal is over time understanding on a topic will be increased.

7 hours ago, Rorri said:

You do realise that a "scientific paper" does NOT  prove the publisher is correct, it only details their research, which in many circumstances has been proven to be WRONG. So if I was you I'don't get over this need for such a paper.

This is possible, but if someone is to make a public statement as a leading scientist, the reader is trusting that that statement is based on the scientific method..... on data,... not on an opinion.  To say that salps mean Irukandji jellies in the public, this should be based on a scientific study if we are to believeit..... but as importantly, if it is to affect economies, environmental studies, people's well being, etc. So, if this is the case, these data should be referred to, or published or communicated in some way to be taken as credible. It is the role of the one making the statement to prove it, not the other way around.

Again, it is ENTIRELY possible this is completely true and would be a VERY cool connection (salps>>>>bad jellies) and forecasting method.  However, for any local, provincial or federal office to use this for such a method, some kind of published or formal document would be necessary, not a quote from an article.  So, perhaps this should be done.....  Again, this would be very cool.

An inflammatory post has been removed, it is suggested that members post in a civilmanner and not in a manner that is in violation of this forum rule:

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the foru m or via PM will not be allowed.