Open, yes, but tone it down or else, say Pattaya police

webfact

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

david bond

Shirt or no shirt

what an ignoramus.Being properly attired in places where food is served is a matter of manners,upbringing and standards.And if you hadnt noticed france is not Thailand.Different culture entirely.

beach wear is no problem,but to walk shirtless through a shopping mall or to sit and eat likewise is a sign of ignorance and no understanding or thought of other patrons.At a beach bar is fine,because that is the order of the day according to the surroundings.

I tell you what,if you had tried to enter my bar with no shirt,you wouldnt have got past the entrance steps.

And dont bother coming back to me with some silly retort.Ive got your pedigree just on your post.

Quality tourist

1 hour ago, Khon Kaen Dave said:

david bond

Shirt or no shirt

what an ignoramus.Being properly attired in places where food is served is a matter of manners,upbringing and standards.And if you hadnt noticed france is not Thailand.Different culture entirely.

beach wear is no problem,but to walk shirtless through a shopping mall or to sit and eat likewise is a sign of ignorance and no understanding or thought of other patrons.At a beach bar is fine,because that is the order of the day according to the surroundings.

I tell you what,if you had tried to enter my bar with no shirt,you wouldnt have got past the entrance steps.

And dont bother coming back to me with some silly retort.Ive got your pedigree just on your post.

Quality tourist

I see every day Thais sitting in restaurants without a shirt, riding motorbike without shirt, or go shopping without shirt.

May be you, and a few others in this thread, are Thaier than Thais?

On 10/18/2016 at 3:06 PM, davidbond said:

no Jungles   in the west  ,i never wear shirt when its hot  ,have people gone mad,or lost there brains  ,what wearing  shirt got to do with anything   ,for sure  wear shirt in temple ,church  ,but to sit in bar on the beach on holiday  why ,south france  ,most ladies don't wear  tops  ,its just normal   ,and people just don't take an  notice   ,shirt or no shirt  got nothing to do with anything  

But, of course, burkinis are noticed.

I think you're statement is a bit naive.

On 10/18/2016 at 9:03 AM, claffey said:

Are people ever going to get over what happened and move on? Koh Tao is a beautiful island where some tragedies have happened, but it's still a great place to visit. Just don't get drunk and wander off on your own at night. Same as for everywhere...

18 hours ago, alocacoc said:

Some foreigners are really respect less. Sitting in a restaurant without a shirt. Did they grew up in the jungle?

17 hours ago, foxboy said:

This is one of my pet hates, and brings an 'ugliness' to Pattaya. I don't want to see fat, sweaty, bare-chested men near me whilst I'm having a drink in a bar, eating a meal in a restaurant or even walking around the shops! Yes I actually see men walking around 7/11's and Mike's Mall with no shirt on... why??? It's disgusting and inappropriate. Have some decorum, wear a cotton or linen shirt if you're hot. 

It's tactless, ignorant, disrespectful and actually quite offensive, especially but not exclusively to Thai people

ehhh..... go home , , you have  failed  to become part of the local culture . mike's and 7/11's ?  good god what are you doing hanging out there ? i thought only Soi dogs were permitted to use these places as frequent hangouts . 

1 hour ago, newatthis said:

But, of course, burkinis are noticed.

I think you're statement is a bit naive.

you attach way to much importance to this troll issue ...............bada bada bing 

Anthony 5.

What Thais do in their own country is nothing to do with any body.They dont have our standards,they have their own.However if you think that we should all go native and do what the thais do,then you must be a person who either had no standards in the first place,or want to join the merry throng.

20 hours ago, alocacoc said:

Some foreigners are really respect less. Sitting in a restaurant without a shirt. Did they grew up in the jungle?

Only when you are holding a waterpistol while shirtless will you be fined $100 baht for lewdness. 

Edited by Brer Fox

On 10/18/2016 at 10:06 AM, davidbond said:

no Jungles   in the west  ,i never wear shirt when its hot  ,have people gone mad,or lost there brains  ,what wearing  shirt got to do with anything   ,for sure  wear shirt in temple ,church  ,but to sit in bar on the beach on holiday  why ,south france  ,most ladies don't wear  tops  ,its just normal   ,and people just don't take an  notice   ,shirt or no shirt  got nothing to do with anything  

Go with the flow. If the locals do it then it's OK. But if not, you shouldn't be sitting or walking around shirtless. It is after all their country and therefore they're entitled to make their own rules.

On 10/18/2016 at 0:28 PM, Deepinthailand said:

Live and let live. It's not my place to tell someone what he/she can or can't wear. I it offends you that much move 9n to another bar/restaurant plenty to choose from. 

Why should the person who has been offended have to move? People need to respect other cultures and not just take the view that they can behave any way they wish just because that's the way they do it in their own country.

50 minutes ago, Xircal said:

Why should the person who has been offended have to move? People need to respect other cultures and not just take the view that they can behave any way they wish just because that's the way they do it in their own country.

In the same breath maybe it's the other person who is offended why should they move on because someone doesn't like the way they dress. If the restaurants allow the people in then they are ok wit there dress. And if another customer doesn't like it then it's down to them to live pure and simple 

On 10/18/2016 at 3:04 PM, kiwikeith said:

Correct, just talking to a friend and we both agreed that LOS needs taming down, maybe this could be a permanent thing.

No loud noise from bars trying to drown each other out and nice quiet staff in bars.

Peaceful.

And just who the hell do you and your friend think you are to determine what is best for a country that you are merely a guest in!?

2 hours ago, Deepinthailand said:

In the same breath maybe it's the other person who is offended why should they move on because someone doesn't like the way they dress. If the restaurants allow the people in then they are ok wit there dress. And if another customer doesn't like it then it's down to them to live pure and simple 

Walking around shirtless in Thailand is frowned upon. Visitors to the country need to adapt to the Thai way of living not the other way around.

9 minutes ago, Xircal said:

Walking around shirtless in Thailand is frowned upon. Visitors to the country need to adapt to the Thai way of living not the other way around.

Well no I don't agree I see plenty of Thai men walking round shirtless every day. It is not frowned upon by Thais only dress code farang. But I would agree to wear a top in bars and restaurants be it a t shirt or vest whatever. I would rather have a farang in a vest in a bar near me than one smoking near me. The latter I then have to move away but that's my choice to do so.

Edited by Deepinthailand

3 minutes ago, Deepinthailand said:

Well no I don't agree I see plenty of Thai men walking round shirtless every day. It is not frowned upon by Thais only dress code farang. But I would agree to wear a too in bars and restaurants be it a t shirt or vest whatever. I would rather have a farang in a vest in a bar near me than one smoking near me. The latter I then have to move away but that's my choice to do so.

http://www.thaizer.com/etiquette/keep-your-shirts-on-gentleman/

12 minutes ago, Deepinthailand said:

As I said dress code farangs writing what they belive. As I said I see many Thais shirtless every day.

You might see Thais shirtless working out in the fields harvesting rice, but never in the cities. I've never seen one shirtless in Patong.

On 10/18/2016 at 3:04 PM, kiwikeith said:

Correct, just talking to a friend and we both agreed that LOS needs taming down, maybe this could be a permanent thing.

No loud noise from bars trying to drown each other out and nice quiet staff in bars.

Peaceful.

Yes, we should look at the lining in the cloud. This could put an end to those maddening, Mad Max style, boom boom trucks that piss everybody off. If those idiots were never allowed near the beach again it would be quite an improvement. Though in Thailand it seems to be all or nothing so I have no reason to think that some sort of reasonable balance will eventually be struck.

9 hours ago, Xircal said:

Guessing you don't live in a rural area - because you are talking crap.

14 hours ago, Xircal said:

It is after all their country and therefore they're entitled to make their own rules.

"it's easy to say that farangs shouldn't become involved in politics but those that do live in Thailand pay taxes and generally contribute to the economy. Therefore it's only reasonable to suggest that they have some say in how local policies are devised especially when it comes to the state of the highways and other infrastructure."

Make your mind up, in one breath you say they are entitled to make their own rules, and then in the next you say you should be allowed to help decide those rules.

On 2016-10-18 at 3:56 PM, foxboy said:

This is one of my pet hates, and brings an 'ugliness' to Pattaya. I don't want to see fat, sweaty, bare-chested men near me whilst I'm having a drink in a bar, eating a meal in a restaurant or even walking around the shops! Yes I actually see men walking around 7/11's and Mike's Mall with no shirt on... why??? It's disgusting and inappropriate. Have some decorum, wear a cotton or linen shirt if you're hot. 

It's tactless, ignorant, disrespectful and actually quite offensive, especially but not exclusively to Thai people

No Shirt No Sandals No Service this is the norm in Canada and USA..it is the two week millionaire Russians...same happens in Queing at check out Russians will go to exit side of counter and become next! Or loud screaming from over weight Russian lady shouting out in Russian her Credit card does not work at timid check out clerk at Tesco...OMG these foreigner are total opposite from the Thai speaking foreigner speaking in Thai with assuring eye contact to keep calm!..Mi Pen rai..