Forum upgrade in progress! ×

3bb vs ais fiber vs true online ( fttx)

primacybkk

24 minutes ago, Pib said:

Don't know....I was just sooooo happy to get the fiber.  

But regarding where suzzanehog said the AIS tech set the Edimax up in "bridge" mode, I wonder if she really saying it was just setup as an "Access Point" like how shariq607 says his AIS installation is setup, which may mean the AIS provide main router is still in control of the core routing function.

Bridging and Access Point setup is really two different things.   Heck, anytime you plug another Wifi router in another router you created another Access Point and normally you should turn off the DHCP functions in the Access Point router so as not to cause a conflict/fighting for control between the primary router and the Access Point.  Then there are variations of Bridging also. 

Heck, I have my own ASUS router hooked to the AIS router..the ASUS is setup as an Access Point (I mean specifically setup as an Access Point versus just another router).  And if I would run up stairs, take that Edimax out of its box and plug it to the AIS primary router I would have another Access Point.  But that would not change a thing/any control function in the AIS primary router which does not have a Bridging setting "accessible."  I could very well be a greyed out function only changeable by AIS unless maybe you have the HomePro package where it appears the Bridging function "may" be changeable by the customer.

That's sort of what I meant.  AIS did not set up the Edimax in bridge mode, they set it up as an access point.  After AIS's technicians left I swapped out the Edimax in favor of an Asus router that I like better, and I reconfigured the Edimax as a bridge.  I'm using the bridge to add 802.11ac wifi support to some older devices that have an ethernet jack but either have no wifi support or only support for 802.11g. 

I don't recall the exact steps that I used to reconfigure the Edimax but it wasn't complicated and I didn't spend much time doing it.  I think that I just did a factory reset and then followed the instructions on the router's configuration page. 

• Replies 917
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, Pib said:

Don't know....I was just sooooo happy to get the fiber.  

But regarding where suzzanehog said the AIS tech set the Edimax up in "bridge" mode, I wonder if she really saying it was just setup as an "Access Point" like how shariq607 says his AIS installation is setup, which may mean the AIS provide main router is still in control of the core routing function.

Bridging and Access Point setup is really two different things.   Heck, anytime you plug another Wifi router in another router you created another Access Point and normally you should turn off the DHCP functions in the Access Point router so as not to cause a conflict/fighting for control between the primary router and the Access Point.  Then there are variations of Bridging also. 

Heck, I have my own ASUS router hooked to the AIS router..the ASUS is setup as an Access Point (I mean specifically setup as an Access Point versus just another router).  And if I would run up stairs, take that Edimax out of its box and plug it to the AIS primary router I would have another Access Point.  But that would not change a thing/any control function in the AIS primary router which does not have a Bridging setting "accessible."  I could very well be a greyed out function only changeable by AIS unless maybe you have the HomePro package where it appears the Bridging function "may" be changeable by the customer.

Rereading this, I think that it might be possible that I'm getting tripped up by terminology.  I think of an Access Point as being a wifi transmitter with DHCP functions coming from the router to which is is connected (in other words, it will hand out IP addresses that are on the same subnet as the main router).  What I'm referring to as a bridge could be thought of as a wifi receiver - the way that I have the Edimax set up it is basically a wifi adapter that can be connected to up to 5 devices using ethernet cable from each device to the bridge.

Some routers like my ASUS can actually be setup in "Access Point" mode which basically ensures the primary router its hooked to/its source of internet is totally in control of DHCP/routing functions versus having the possibility of some conflicts occurring between the two devices in trying to control the home network.  For months and months I just plugged my ASUS into the AIS-provided router (and before that with my True-provided DOCSIS/cable router when I was with True) and it always worked fine.  But there were times when strange IP things appeared to have happened (or I thought they may have happened) that "may," repeat, may have been caused a DHCP conflict/confusion between the two devices as both were trying to manage the DHCP activities on my home network.   

Most poeple/laymen really would not notice any operational difference in a second router left specifically in Router Mode or Access Point Mode until they wanted to do certain special things/configurations/settings with their router.  Heck, the only reason I finally changed my ASUS from Router Mode to Access Point Mode was to eliminate the possibility of having DHCP conflicts...some conflicts I thought I may occasionally have got. 

Plus, since the primary router which was previously a True-provided DOCSIS/cable router and now the AIS-provided fiber optics router are really in charge of my reaching out to/connecting to the internet and some special things I can or can not do because they are the front door guard so to speak which you must get by (go through both coming and going) before your reach the other doors inside like my ASUS router or any other/additional router I might tag onto the front door router.  Now if there was a Bridge setting "available for me" to change in my AIS provided router vs can only be changed by AIS" in the AIS-provided router which basically delegates front door guard duties to the inside door guards then that would be a different story.  

If by chance the AIS  installers left the box for the Edimax with you, on the back it will show its different setup configurations which are Router, Access Point, Range Extender, Wifi Bridge, and WISP.   The AIS installer may have just left the Edimax in Router mode or maybe they set it to Access Point mode....I expect you could go into Edimax menu settings and check.  These functions are similar in many ways but there is still very important differences....and lord knows I don't fully understand all that networking geek/technical language and naming.  Now for my ASUS it can only be setup in Router, Repeater, or Access Point modes since it's an older router than the Edimax.

33 minutes ago, Pib said:

Some routers like my ASUS can actually be setup in "Access Point" mode which basically ensures the primary router its hooked to/its source of internet is totally in control of DHCP/routing functions versus having the possibility of some conflicts occurring between the two devices in trying to control the home network.  For months and months I just plugged my ASUS into the AIS-provided router (and before that with my True-provided DOCSIS/cable router when I was with True) and it always worked fine.  But there were times when strange IP things appeared to have happened (or I thought they may have happened) that "may," repeat, may have been caused a DHCP conflict/confusion between the two devices as both were trying to manage the DHCP activities on my home network.   

Most poeple/laymen really would not notice any operational difference in a second router left specifically in Router Mode or Access Point Mode until they wanted to do certain special things/configurations/settings with their router.  Heck, the only reason I finally changed my ASUS from Router Mode to Access Point Mode was to eliminate the possibility of having DHCP conflicts...some conflicts I thought I may occasionally have got. 

Plus, since the primary router which was previously a True-provided DOCSIS/cable router and now the AIS-provided fiber optics router are really in charge of my reaching out to/connecting to the internet and some special things I can or can not do because they are the front door guard so to speak which you must get by (go through both coming and going) before your reach the other doors inside like my ASUS router or any other/additional router I might tag onto the front door router.  Now if there was a Bridge setting "available for me" to change in my AIS provided router vs can only be changed by AIS" in the AIS-provided router which basically delegates front door guard duties to the inside door guards then that would be a different story.  

If by chance the AIS  installers left the box for the Edimax with you, on the back it will show its different setup configurations which are Router, Access Point, Range Extender, Wifi Bridge, and WISP.   The AIS installer may have just left the Edimax in Router mode or maybe they set it to Access Point mode....I expect you could go into Edimax menu settings and check.  These functions are similar in many ways but there is still very important differences....and lord knows I don't fully understand all that networking geek/technical language and naming.  Now for my ASUS it can only be setup in Router, Repeater, or Access Point modes since it's an older router than the Edimax.

I have a lot of devices in use in my house (computers, security cameras, music & video streamers, NAS, portable devices, etc) and I've played around with different networking strategies quite a bit.

Though it does make things like port forwarding more cumbersome to configure, for security reasons I prefer to have two subnets in my house.  When I swapped out the Edimax router that AIS had setup as an access point I swapped in an Asus router that is setup as a normal router.  Additionally, I turned on the wifi section of the primary router that AIS left, gave it an SSID named 'visitor' and that's what I let visitors connect to when they come to our house.  That way, all visitors to my home will be one one subnet, and everything that is connected to the ASUS router will be another subnet, and it's unlikely than any visitors to my house will be able hack into any resources that are on the ASUS's subnet. 

The AIS technicians did infact leave behind the box for the Edimax and there were instructions inside it.  None of that was or is a problem - reconfiguring the Edimax is about an order of magnitude easier than setting up similar functionality on dd-wrt, for example.  And it works well as a bridge, I don't think that it has dropped the signal even once since I set it up.

The graphic below illustrates the modes that the Edimax router can operate in.  When the AIS technicians installed my Fibre service they set it up in the second configuration (Access Point) and plugged it into the LAN port of ZTE 802.11n router to which the fibre is connected.  Now I have it configured in the fourth mode (Wi-Fi Bridge) and am using it elsewhere in my house. 

Pages from New Doc.jpg

OK... so one difference here, is that AIS gave Suzanne a ZTE N router as the primary/fiber connection, whereas Pib got the same Huawei N router from AIS that 3BB is using here in BKK.

But, I think the overall and main point here is, at least AIS appears to recognize that the wifi capability of their original fiber modem/wifi N routers has the potential to be outstripped by their FTTH service and thus are providing their customers (for free as part of the original install) with a second wifi AC router-only device. (The Edimax AC routers are relatively inexpensive, but upgrading to new AC standard fiber modem/routers I suspect would be much more expensive, thus the two-device approach AIS seems to be taking).

That supports the point I was making above that as FTTH speeds get faster and faster, especially for customers with 3BB's new 200/50 Mbps service right now, adding your own AC router or getting your ISP to provide one is going to help you utilize the full potential of your connection, at least when it comes to wifi connections.

20 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

OK... so one difference here, is that AIS gave Suzanne a ZTE N router as the primary/fiber connection, whereas Pib got the same Huawei N router from AIS that 3BB is using here in BKK.

But, I think the overall and main point here is, at least AIS appears to recognize that the wifi capability of their original fiber modem/wifi N routers has the potential to be outstripped by their FTTH service and thus are providing their customers (for free as part of the original install) with a second wifi AC router-only device. (The Edimax AC routers are relatively inexpensive, but upgrading to new AC standard fiber modem/routers I suspect would be much more expensive, thus the two-device approach AIS seems to be taking).

That supports the point I was making above that as FTTH speeds get faster and faster, especially for customers with 3BB's new 200/50 Mbps service right now, adding your own AC router or getting your ISP to provide one is going to help you utilize the full potential of your connection, at least when it comes to wifi connections.

Agree totally that AC is the way to go it you want to fully utilize a package like that.  Even with the 50/10 package 802.11n can be a bottleneck depending upon how far your devices are from you router and whether there are any sources of interference.  But whether that will matter to most users is another matter.  While that might make an important difference to someone who habitually downloads a massive amount of torrents and such, not a lot of things consume >50Mbps per connection so most users would probably be adequately served by 802.11n.

The Ais  edimax router out of the box does not support router mode,  Ais has replaced the original oem firmware for a customized Ais firmware which only supports access point.

so out of the box , the edimax router is already configured to be used solely as an access point and you cannot change to other mode unless you download the oem firmware from the edimax website and re flash it to remove the Ais firmware. 

The other thing is, even though The edimax supports Ac wifi it is still limited with 100 Mb wan and lan ports which means folks who have speed plans above 100 mb will still be limited with the max throughout being limited to 100 Mbits.

Suzanne, you're thinking of the issue solely in terms of available speeds/bandwidth, whereas IMHO, you also need to be thinking about it in terms of avoiding congestion on the current, predominantly/widely used 2.4 Ghz band.

I think in a lot of cases, particularly in urban areas, fiber users would see much better wifi performance if they merely switched to using 5 Ghz wifi instead of 2.4 Ghz. Now, 5Ghz can be done either on the N or the AC wifi standards. But as a practical matter, most of the wifi hardware out there that supports 5 Ghz wifi is going to be the dual band AC variety, as opposed to dual band N.

To support that notion, just look at the screen caps I posted above from the InSSIDer program showing the many 2.4 Ghz wifi signals broadcasting in and around my home in BKK, and the total absence (except for my own 5 Ghz AC router) of any competing 5 Ghz signals.

16 minutes ago, shariq607 said:

The Ais  edimax router out of the box does not support router mode,  Ais has replaced the original oem firmware for a customized Ais firmware which only supports access point.

so out of the box , the edimax router is already configured to be used solely as an access point and you cannot change to other mode unless you download the oem firmware from the edimax website and re flash it to remove the Ais firmware. 

The other thing is, even though The edimax supports Ac wifi it is still limited with 100 Mb wan and lan ports which means folks who have speed plans above 100 mb will still be limited with the max throughout being limited to 100 Mbits.

All that I can tell you is that I was able to put it into bridge mode and I didn't reflash it, only did a factory reset.  If it was difficult I probably wouldn't have done it.

Re the emergence of fiber here in Thailand and Bangkok specifically, I'm looking ahead to the coming time when the current U.S. commercial video streaming services (Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, etc.) begin fully deploying HDR and 4K streams (something that they're only just starting to offer now).

Back a year ago when I had my True Online 30/3 Mbps cable service, and international bandwidth only provided a fraction of that, I thought the day would never come in Thailand where I'd be able to achieve/obtain the necessary +-25 Mbps international download speeds required to play that kind of content.

But now with the new FTTH services from providers like AIS and 3BB, streaming that kind of hi def content from the U.S. is now within reach -- and certainly is already very do-able right now today for those folks who are using the Netflix Thailand variant.

All the more reason to look for a wifi configuration that gives you the best possible performance with a FTTH ISP.

29 minutes ago, shariq607 said:

In the screenshot below you can see the configuration page of my Edimax router which comes up when I type the Edimax's IP address into Firefox.  Notice at the top that is still says AIS (suggesting that it's running AIS's firmware) and it also says "Wireless Bridge".  There is also an option there to run a "Setup Wizard".  Running that wizard lets you set up the router in any of the other modes.

Untitled-1.jpg

34 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Suzanne, you're thinking of the issue solely in terms of available speeds/bandwidth, whereas IMHO, you also need to be thinking about it in terms of avoiding congestion on the current, predominantly/widely used 2.4 Ghz band.

I think in a lot of cases, particularly in urban areas, fiber users would see much better wifi performance if they merely switched to using 5 Ghz wifi instead of 2.4 Ghz. Now, 5Ghz can be done either on the N or the AC wifi standards. But as a practical matter, most of the wifi hardware out there that supports 5 Ghz wifi is going to be the dual band AC variety, as opposed to dual band N.

To support that notion, just look at the screen caps I posted above from the InSSIDer program showing the many 2.4 Ghz wifi signals broadcasting in and around my home in BKK, and the total absence (except for my own 5 Ghz AC router) of any competing 5 Ghz signals.

Those are good points.

10 minutes ago, shariq607 said:

sorry totally forgot.

LA

tE98BaP4D.png

tokyo

Edrx1Hli0.png

San francisco 

Ui5RtLGB2.png

london

jKoLaAbuI.png

Just for comparison...below are my AIS 50/10 PowerHome results compared to your AIS 50/10 PowerPro using the same Testmy.net locations and Manual Download 100MB sized file test....and done about 20 minutes after yours.  

Big thanks...I also going to save/print this out as this is the first time I've been able to get some PowerPro and PowerHome comparisons using the same tester, same testing method, same location, and very similar times.   Gives me some solid data in trying to make a decision if I want to upgrade to the higher priced Pro plan which also offers some other benefits other than higher international speed.  Thanks again.

LA

Hf4Zx2M6h.png

Tokyo

z5xrcyMDY.png

San Francisco

5jwxqe8Q0.png

London

K74BGNHoQ.png

16 minutes ago, Pib said:

Just for comparison...below are my AIS 50/10 PowerHome results compared to your AIS 50/10 PowerPro using the same Testmy.net locations and Manual Download 100MB sized file test....and done about 20 minutes after yours.  

Big thanks...I also going to save/print this out as this is the first time I've been able to get some PowerPro and PowerHome comparisons using the same tester, same testing method, same location, and very similar times.   Gives me some solid data in trying to make a decision if I want to upgrade to the higher priced Pro plan which also offers some other benefits other than higher international speed.  Thanks again.

LA

Hf4Zx2M6h.png

Tokyo

z5xrcyMDY.png

San Francisco

5jwxqe8Q0.png

London

K74BGNHoQ.png

My Cat fiber is still much faster though and gives much better pings to international servers.

1 minute ago, Pib said:

And if I remember right from posts years ago, the CAT fiber is pretty pricey.   Wasn't you paying something around Bt8K to Bt10K/month for an approx 30Mb plan?

yeah but i downgraded to the cheapest business package which costs  less than 2000 baht per month , didn't notice any difference other than reduction in upload speeds.

14 minutes ago, shariq607 said:

yeah but i downgraded to the cheapest business package which costs  less than 2000 baht per month , didn't notice any difference other than reduction in upload speeds.

So why would you be keeping and paying for both AIS and CAT fiber plans??

3 hours ago, Pib said:

LA

Hf4Zx2M6h.png

Tokyo

z5xrcyMDY.png

San Francisco

5jwxqe8Q0.png

London

K74BGNHoQ.png

Just an update, i cant seem to get the speed i was getting with my initial tests maybe its peak time now. using  AIS power pro package kinda disappointed 

yv8seLYaf.png

DxyvEBlWf.png

dDvM4XEPl.png

MYk3cgULR.png

The wife is also YouTubing on her tablet right now using some bandwidth, but here is what I got on my PowerHome package to the same locations LA, Tokyo, SF, and Singapore about 30 minutes after you did your PowerPro tests above.   Very little difference at all between the PowerHome and PowerPro package "at this point" in the day.  Whereas earlier in the day we saw some very significant differences in our tests...your PowerPro package easily beating the PowerHome international speeds.   

50KslqbY6.png

1yoYIfEtP.png

EMzbmKlZF.png

xnH8vIdUC.png

On 10/27/2016 at 6:14 PM, shariq607 said:

Sure ,  I will do it tonight but my first impressions are kinda disappointing as I have noticed that as soon I use upload speeds higher than 30% of my maximum upload speeds the pings go crazy high(1000 ms) which means Ais has poor bufferbloat. 

Compared to my Cat fiber,  maximizing both download and upload even simultaneously has no effect on ping and bufferbloat remains stable.

Can you please confirm if the same thing happens with you? By conducting upload Speedtest and see the effects on the ping using command prompt 

I am using 50/20 MB package. 

DSL Reports explanation of Bufferbloat.  Also, when DSLReports runs its speed test it shows Bufferbloat results, during the test and a grade at the end of the test.  Although the explanation talks cable/xDSL connections I'm sure it applies equally to fiber connects.

For anyone not familiar with DSL Reports speedtester it's an HTML5 tester and you can select which servers to test to....how many to test to....just one like to Singapore (or where ever)....or multiple locations during a test.    

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/17883

Bufferbloat is a common problem. It is not something your ISP is going to solve for you. If you are interested in where this grade comes from, what impact it can have, and what you can do about it, please read on.

The test continually checks latency from start to finish (not just at the beginning, like most other speed tests). If the latency rises dramatically during the download or upload section, it indicates your connection has become less responsive when fully loaded. This is bufferbloat. The degree of excess latency generates a bufferbloat grade between A+ (none) and F (heaps!).

Bufferbloat is undesirable latency caused by routers and cable/DSL modems buffering more data than necessary. It occurs at any bottleneck in a network: the most common place is the connection between your router/modem and your ISP.

Bufferbloat is undesirable because it interferes with the smooth operation of your network. You may have noticed it when, say, you run a backup to the cloud. Interactive applications become slow to respond. Web browsing, even to relatively uncomplicated pages (like gmail), is annoying. VOIP services may degrade or even stop working. Gamers can lag out. You may have become used to this, perhaps even considered it normal, but now that the problem is understood, there's a solution.

To fix bufferbloat, the router at the bottleneck must control the amount of data that's being sent so that it doesn't build a big queue. To do this, you can (a) turn on some kind of smart queue management (fq_codel, PIE, etc.) in your current router; (b) re-flash the router with new firmware that will do this, or (c) replace the equipment with a more suitable device. Although your ISP is unlikely to help fix any individual case of bufferbloat, they may (and should) be working to introduce better firmware and hardware to reduce the problem for all their customers.

You can read more about buffer bloat, and the various solutions available to you, at http://www.bufferbloat.net/projects/cerowrt/wiki/What_to_do_about_Bufferbloat

45 minutes ago, Pib said:

DSL Reports explanation of Bufferbloat.  Also, when DSLReports runs its speed test it shows Bufferbloat results, during the test and a grade at the end of the test.  Although the explanation talks cable/xDSL connections I'm sure it applies equally to fiber connects.

For anyone not familiar with DSL Reports speedtester it's an HTML5 tester and you can select which servers to test to....how many to test to....just one like to Singapore (or where ever)....or multiple locations during a test.    

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/17883

yeah i figured it out myself, Ais has a very  poor buffer bloat problem where slight increase in upload or download can cause pings to jump up significantly as well as cause packets to be lost. As i mentioned my cat fiber does not have this problem.

Pib, can you conduct a buffer bloat test on dsl reports. Thanks

8 hours ago, shariq607 said:

yeah i figured it out myself, Ais has a very  poor buffer bloat problem where slight increase in upload or download can cause pings to jump up significantly as well as cause packets to be lost. As i mentioned my cat fiber does not have this problem.

dslreports is given my AIS 50/10 Fibre service anywhere from a "C" grade to an "F" grade for buffebloat too. That's testing with an ethernet connection to the ZTE router provided by AIS and I'm in Chiang Mai. 

FWIW, I checked with 3BB yesterday as to whether they had available for their customers any AC standard routers, and the answer was NO. Only wifi N equipment at this time provided by 3BB.

Of course, that doesn't preclude anyone from buying and using their own AC device as a daisy chain to the 3BB provided Huawei modem-routers, which do have Gigabit ethernet.

16 hours ago, shariq607 said:

Like suzzanegoh I get a C or D.   Same result when I was with True DOCSIS/cable...even saw F's all too often on True.   I think I have got a B once or twice but can't remember if that was with AIS or True.   But for what I do with internet which is just basically browsing, emailing, and a little bit of video streaming I don't see or feel anything negative because of a Bufferbloat scoer of C or D.  Maybe if you are an online game player or during a half dozen different things at once with your internet connection it makes a noticeable difference, but for me Bufferbloat is a non-issue as far as I can figure.

Bufferbloat is common among ISPs, even in western nations like in the U.S. and Europe.  Quite a few western ISPs are showing grades of C, D, and F.   Below DSL Reports webpage gives an example of Bufferbloat grades from a variety of ISPs in other/western countries (but not including Thailand).   

http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest/results/bufferbloat

I notice during the Bufferbloat test the gauge briefly displays individual results when it reaching out to a certain IP/location, but I'm not sure if it just the location(s) you are testing to or some other locations are being thrown in.   Just now sure right now exactly how they are doing the Bufferbloat test "location" wise ....need to review that more.    And if the Bufferbloat test is reaching out to say US/Europe locations which is over 200ms ping away locations although you maybe be speed testing only to Singapore which is only 35ms away, then you always going to get a C, D, or F based on this DSL Reports webpage which talks bufferbloat.

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/17930

For reference, another AIS powerhome 50/10 user:

Have to say though that the slew of tests just performed have come back better than previous - during the last test, the UK was less than 2Mb down.

Today though, looking good.

Set up: Fibre to condo, DSL to AIS supplied H180 router (this set to bridge mode remotely by AIS) then an Asus RT87U doing the pppoe authentication/routing.  For the tests a MBP hardwired to the Asus.

For 950 a month, Im happy with it

Screen Shot 2016-10-29 at 16.13.02.png

After doing some more reading-up on Bufferbloat (i.e., excess buffering of packets) long ping time to a location may not be a big factor in comparison to testing to a short ping time location.    For me reading more on the DSLReports website about Bufferbloat and other sites, such as this Wikipedia article help clear my mind a little.   But whether excessive Bufferbloat causes an issue for a person is really going to depend on how they use their computer/internet connection.   For me, I can't attribute any problems to Bufferbloat based on my use of my computer.

For me, it appears Bufferbloat on my AIS Fibre 50/10 only appears during "Upload" under load; not Download.   I did a DSLReport speed test to Singapore a few minutes ago.  The Bufferbloat grade was C (like it is almost all of the time) and from below snapshot taken from the detailed results of the test you can see Bufferbloat was only an issue on Upload.  

Capture.JPG

Archived