3bb vs ais fiber vs true online ( fttx)

primacybkk

And now using a multi-thread speed tester at around 8:50am Bangkok time (below snapshots reflect Hong Kong time...need to change my Speedtest.net time zone setting), specifically Speedtest.net," versus the single-thread tester Testmy.net, the speeds to above locations is much better....but notice the slower than normal ping times to the UK.   

To the UK...ping time is normally a little over 200ms...but right now around 300ms...I tried two different servers in London..the other server gave a little over 300ms.

Depending on the app/type of interneting you are doing you would experience a different feel.  Based on the Testmy.net single thread tests in above post your live video streaming/single thread operation to the EU/UK would probably suck; but work just fine to the U.S.  And based on the multithread test below apps like browsing, email, etc., would work just fine/be speedy.

UK....higher than normal ping time...must be some longer routing involved.

5807107592.png

Germany...normal ping time

5807112462.png

U.S. west coast...normal ping time

5807116335.png

Singapore...normal ping

5807118566.png

Bangkok...getting full speed on my AIS Fibre 50/10 domestically

5807120223.png

• Replies 917
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 04/11/2016 at 7:38 PM, denby45 said:

Got the same in South Pattaya. 3bb is OK when it's working but now it's down completely so no internet at all. 10 phone calls and 4 days later and no show for any service personnel. Service is crap. Guy next door has the same problem. Still waiting and I will dump them as soon as I can.

Den 

Seven F******* days I had to eventually wait before someone turned up to fix the connection. That is outrageous. Soon as I can I will be changing providers. 

Den

On 11/17/2016 at 11:34 AM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

There are tons of VPN options that operate at the PC system level.

You use a VPN service because, often with ISPs in Thailand, doing so will dramatically improve your international streaming performance.

At VPN prices as low as $2 to $5 per month, it's an easy choice to make.

You seem to be having good results with your VPN. Could you tell me which one you are using.

Is your ISP AIS fibre

18 hours ago, Pib said:

Big thumbs up to the Edimax EW7811UTC mini Wifi USB adapter.   I've used it for the last 24 hours with zero problems.

Over the coming days I'm probably going to buy an ASUS RT-55UHP AC1200 router like shown at this InvadeIT page but I will buy it locally at a nearby ITCity Computer store.    It will be used in Access Point mode and replace my ASUS N300 (300Mb, 2.4Ghz only) Access Point downstairs....and will be connected to the AIS primary router via in-place Ethernet connection.    This will give me an even better 5Ghz signal downstairs and a pretty good one upstairs probably and also eliminate the 100Mb ethernet port chokepoint I have with my Home Server right now.  Although the server has 1000Mb ports it been hooked to an Access Point that only had 100Mb ethernet ports. With this choke point eliminated I will be able to see what max data throughput/real life speeds the mini Wifi adapter can reach and should be a little over 200Mb based on the 5Ghz connection close range throughput test results shown in the SmallNetBuilder link I gave earlier.  

OK, I have bought that ASUS RT-55UHP router and did some speed tests with the Edimax EW7811UTC mini Wifi USB adapater.   The router and adapter are about a meter apart on the same table with my temporary testing setup....temporary setup is also geared to test and setup my the new router.    

Now that I have got rid of the 100Mb ethernet chokepoint between my old router and my home server I can now see what the max 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz transfer download speeds are for the mini adapter.   For a 2.4Ghz connection I got approx 120Mb donwload data throughput speed.  For a 5GHz connection I got approx 285Mb download data throughput speed.    Will do more testing for upload and range once I get the new router permanently setup/tweaked/etc and permanently swap it into my old ASUS router position.   But the Edimax mini adpater no larger than your thumbnail when plugged into a USB port is working just fine.   

OK AIS, I'm now ready to handle a 200Mb AIS speed plan via Wifi when and if you put-out a low cost plan to match the 3BB 200Mb plan at Bt1200/month.

With a 5GHz Connection

Capture_ASUS55 on 5GHz.JPG

With a 2.4GHz Connection

Capture_ASUS55 on 2.4GHz.JPG

I have now had AIS Fiber 50/10 package for around 2 months. I have gone from absolute delight to absolute disgust with it. Sure speedtest dot net shows the connection running full speed but my IPTV service from the UK is now unusable because a single thread connection to the UK is now running at less than 2 Mbps.

I now reaaaalllyyyyyy wish I'd stayed with True. I'm stuck with AIS for the year contract, then they're gone.

Despite what they tell you, you're not liable for any early termination fees according to Thai law. There's more info on TV somewhere.

Sent from my R2D2 using my C3P0 manservant

The magic of a phone call to AIS "or" a router power off-on.  Tonight (Saturday around 8:30pm) I notice my AIS Fibre 50/10 plan seemed slow on my browsing to international websites....surfing to domestic website was fast.  Did a couple of Speedtest.net and Testmy.net test sand yes, I was only getting a couple of Mb's (less than 5Mb) to even Singapore.  But my domestic speed was pulling 51/12.    

So, I decided to call AIS...walked upstairs to get the latest bill which has my AIS account number and I powered down & up the AIS provided router also.  Come back downstairs to make the call.    I then called AIS and  told them my international speed sucked....only getting a few Mb's while domestic speed is full speed.    The rep said they would check into it and call back in about an hour.    A few minutes after completing the call I did some more speed tests to Singapore using above mentioned testers....now I'm getting 50Mb with Speedtest.net and 48Mb with Testmy.net---what I normally get to Singapore....and my browsing international sites is snappy again.

So, did AIS just quickly fix my issue....like reset my connection from their end?  Or, was it the router power down-up that fixed the international speed issue?    Don't know.    When my international speed was less than normal I have powered down-up the router below and it didn't make a difference.  Oh well, fixed.  Now will wait and see if AIS does call back.  They always have before.

AIS called back 30 minutes later asking if I still had the slow international speed problem.  I said no...the problem went away a few minutes after I had called them initially.  I asked them what they did to fix the problem.  They said they reset my connection from their end.  Some tests run around 9pm Saturday night after the reset my connection from their end.

To Singapore

sKyrHCFTY.McvI2sapJ.png

To Singapore

5810995470.png

To UK/London

fls5YzhAJ.png

Well on this "good morning of the day" (a little before 8am Bangkok time) the speed to Singapore and US are still back to normal, but the speed to UK and even mainland Europe are abysmal.   But my interneting is to the US and in Thailand so the UK/EU speeds are not really a factor for me....but I know for many others it is.  

Time of day and night can make a big difference.  And me thinks depending on the international routing/bandwidth the ISP is buying (i.e., higher priority 24/7 or lower priority 24/7....kinda like Quality of Service) makes a big difference.  This also mean different customers can have very different opinions of how good the Thai ISP international speed is because they may primarily use their connection to different parts of the world at different times during the day/night.  

I will have to say that since being with AIS for almost 4 months now, the last 2 months of international speed has been significantly lower than the first 2 month.   I seriously doubt the seemingly slower international speed was because of giving a new  customer higher priority for a few months, but just the increase of customers loading down their international gateway servers and/or they are now buying lower priced/lower quality international bandwidth.

To Singapore

JX45qBWhr.r4xXiwc3n.png

To US West Coast

0ZNozWu7q.png

To UK/London

76tAga1qk.png

To Germany/Frankfurt

qdjNnOCRp.png

Time of day can make all the difference (and some days are worst than others).  As shown earlier this morning the speed to the UK sucked at 1.5Mb...now at 6:15pm in the evening it's over 33Mb.   The wife is also youtubing on her tablet as I did below tests so she was sucking a little bit of the bandwidth.   Yeap, time of day "all along the internet pipe" can make a difference in your speed.

To London

UEgV4D9QH.png

And to the US west coast at 6:18pm....still a little over 20Mb like this morning.

F6PRBGu4x.png

And finally to Singapore at 6:21pm

DkGSV2Ydu.png

Sure would like to see some Testmy.net results from some folks on the True 50/20 and/or 100/30 plan.  Hint...hint.  

The reason I would like to see some is because those two plans became very competitive just a few months ago with 3BB and AIS fiber plans....and I was with True DOCSIS/cable for 5 years but on their 20/2Mb and 15/1.5Mb plans.   During those 5 years True was super reliable uptime-wise but their international speed was so-so unless using VPN....ith VPN the speed was quite good.  

Heck, I would seriously consider going back to True when my contract is up with AIS in around 8 months, say to True's 100/30 plan if their international speed is good and assuming AIS doesn't lower its cost and/or increase my speed while maintaining the current price.   Plus True's plan includes better TV than AIS, a 3G SIM with 500Mb/mo, and a land line.   And the few times I did have an issue with True they fixed the problem within hours....but AIS has been just as responsive...probably a little more responsive as they also call back within an hour or two to confirm your problem is fixed.  Your results may vary.

I live out of town and have True not sure of the package but i get 20/3mbs on a normal day, there is as you say a large variation between national and international traffic and depending on time of day, sometimes its 18mbs to chonburi but 1.5mbs to UK. I'm not so sure its carrier related.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

16 hours ago, Pib said:

Sure would like to see some Testmy.net results from some folks on the True 50/20 and/or 100/30 plan.  Hint...hint.  

Not *quite* what you're asking for, but...    My B899 30/3 Mbps True DOCSIS plan (with TV and SIM, but no landline) appears to be upgraded now to 50/3 Mbps?  At least, using speedtest.net to BKK and SIN I get almost 50 Mbps download now.  Using testmy.net on a PureVPN Singapore server (they've apparently fixed the access problem with an app update) I now get 32-35Mbps downloads from Los Angeles.

3 hours ago, wpcoe said:

Using testmy.net on a PureVPN Singapore server (they've apparently fixed the access problem with an app update) I now get 32-35Mbps downloads from Los Angeles.

Excellent rates compared to a few (4/5) years ago!

Just remembered: a couple of undersea cable projects are in construction.

One major step seems to have been completed this year:

Connecting SEA-ME-WE 5 to Singapore (a couple of countries connected).

Total capacity 24 TBit/s (~24'000 Gbit/s, 24'000'000 MBit/s).

http://www.submarinenetworks.com/systems/asia-europe-africa/smw5/singtel-lands-sea-me-we-5-in-tuas-singapore

marking a major step towards its completion by the end of the year

Maybe done?

Enjoy before it's eaten up by the unstoppable growth of internet traffic.

This cable will have landings in Bangladesh, Myanmar, Singapore but not Thailand. So all going overland to Singapore.

Thailand is heavy dependent on land lines to Singapore.

21 hours ago, wpcoe said:

Not *quite* what you're asking for, but...    My B899 30/3 Mbps True DOCSIS plan (with TV and SIM, but no landline) appears to be upgraded now to 50/3 Mbps?  At least, using speedtest.net to BKK and SIN I get almost 50 Mbps download now.  Using testmy.net on a PureVPN Singapore server (they've apparently fixed the access problem with an app update) I now get 32-35Mbps downloads from Los Angeles.

Strange.  They don't have a 50/3 plan...plus I doubt they would upgrade you from free from 30/3 to their 50/20 plan due to the different prices involved...and to boot only upgrade the download portion.   But hey, anything is possible.   And just to confirm you are indeed on 50/3 just do an "in-Thailand" test to Bangkok using Speedtest.net.    Maybe even try to other OOKLA based speed testers to Bangkok like the TOT speedtester.   Using a couple of different speedtester is just to try to confirm one is not giving bogus local speed results.

Do you mind doing some "non-VPN" Testmy.net tests to their LA and London servers?   Thanks.

15 hours ago, Pib said:

Strange.  They don't have a 50/3 plan...plus I doubt they would upgrade you from free from 30/3 to their 50/20 plan due to the different prices involved...and to boot only upgrade the download portion.   But hey, anything is possible.   And just to confirm you are indeed on 50/3 just do an "in-Thailand" test to Bangkok using Speedtest.net.    Maybe even try to other OOKLA based speed testers to Bangkok like the TOT speedtester.   Using a couple of different speedtester is just to try to confirm one is not giving bogus local speed results.

Do you mind doing some "non-VPN" Testmy.net tests to their LA and London servers?   Thanks.

TOT speedtester:

Last Result:
Download Speed: 40737 kbps (5092.1 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 3278 kbps (409.8 KB/sec transfer rate)
Latency: 16 ms
11/22/2016, 11:36:12 PM

speedtest.net:

5818960808.png

Yesterday, it was testing in the upper 40's.  Maybe it's simply aggressive over-provisioning ?

I initially forgot to disconnect from PureVPN's Singapore server and got this the first time:

Last Result:
Download Speed: 32762 kbps (4095.3 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 4986 kbps (623.3 KB/sec transfer rate)
Latency: 92 ms
11/22/2016, 11:35:01 PM

All over the place.  5Mbps upload to Bangkok (?) via Singapore VPN, but only 3Mbps locally within Thailand without VPN?

And, for non-VPN testmy.net:

London

non-vpn-lon-testmy.net.jpg

Los Angeles

non-vpn-lax-testmy.net.jpg

Like I said:  all over the place.  Those were the *fastest* results I got from running multiple tests!

I keep running the London/Los Angeles tests with and without VPN and they are abysmal right now.

[edited to add:]

Just re-ran the TOT speedtester test using the PureVPN Singapore server:

Last Result:
Download Speed: 37799 kbps (4724.9 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 6521 kbps (815.1 KB/sec transfer rate)
Latency: 85 ms
11/23/2016, 12:20:54 AM

How the heck can it be a ~6Mbps upload rate???

Something must be seriously wrong with the TOT speedtester, or I am totally misunderstanding the results.  I tested again using the PureVPN Singapore server:

Last Result:
Download Speed: 35019 kbps (4377.4 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 13086 kbps (1635.8 KB/sec transfer rate)
Latency: 72 ms
11/23/2016, 12:49:52 AM

How can I be getting 13Mbps upload?  No other tester, with/without VPN, to Bangkok, Singapore or elsewhere goes above 3Mbps  e.g. speedtest.net test to Bangkok using PureVPN Singapore server:

5819183043.png

OK, you are still  on at 30/3 plan; not a 50/3 plan.   I'm assuming you are on DOCSIS/cable internet (like me for 5 years) and True DOCSIS includes download "bursting" where the download speed is allowed to briefly go much higher (burst) that the plan's normal speed.  By "briefly" I mean a significant portion of the speed tester testing period which is only 10 to 15 seconds.  

When I was on the True DOCSIS 15/1.5 plan I initially use to get download speeds of aorund 28Mb....almost doubling the plan's advertised local speed.  Other ThaiVisa members on True DOCSIS/cable made posts also showing the same speed boost.  True use to advertise these feature but don't seem to much any more.   But bursting does not affect upload speed.  During my final year on the 15/1.5Mb plan I would get 22 to 24Mb download speeds....around 50% more than it's advertised speed.   As mentioned this bursting only lasted for a brief period...great for browsing...pulling up webpage....but for streaming live video it really don't help.

When doing speedtesting with a VPN connection to Singapore but testing to Bangkok remember you are increasing the distance travelled big time since you testing is going back and forth between Bangkok and Singapore.  The internet lines between Thailand and Singapore are pretty good/high capacity (not like overseas lines) and a person can usually pull close to full speed on a multispeed tester like Speedtest.net and usually 70 to 90% or maybe even close to 100% on a single thread tester on Testmy.net .

However, reach out beyond Singapore with a single thread tester like testmy.net and it can show weakness in an internet plan like your tests to LA and London.  A multithread tester will still show pretty good results since it opening up multiple pipes....2, 4, 6, or 8 pipes....but usually just 2 or 4 pipes.  It can only up as many pipes as the server it's testing to will allow/is resourced for.

Regarding your upload speed being high during VPN upload tests, I expect some throttling is being bypassed or the VPN is just confusing the speedtester.   Heck, one time I was getting over 200Mb download speed on my AIS 50/10 plan with a SSTP VPN connection to San Francisco but if making a PPTP VPN connection it was down around 30Mb.   I expect the speed tester was just totally confused by the SSTP encryption/data stream.  

Looking into AIS Fiber and saw this on their site

"The customer who subscribe PowerHome Package receive free Private IPv4 with DDNS* and Public IPv6. Can use port forwarding and bridge mode. "

"For the customer who want to use port forwarding can register through www.thddns.net before use without any service fee. The customer can download registration manual here "

Could someone explain this? Usually I just port forward on my router or sometimes even on the OS/software. Never heard of having to register for port forwarding or it being a privilege service.

Also, I have my own router, will I be able to use it on a bridge mode? Can't find anywhere on their site that says what input modem is being used. Is it an ISP provided box or is it like ADSL where I can get my own modem?

Looking into AIS Fiber and saw this on their site

"The customer who subscribe PowerHome Package receive free Private IPv4 with DDNS* and Public IPv6. Can use port forwarding and bridge mode. "

"For the customer who want to use port forwarding can register through www.thddns.net before use without any service fee. The customer can download registration manual here "

Could someone explain this? Usually I just port forward on my router or sometimes even on the OS/software. Never heard of having to register for port forwarding or it being a privilege service.

Also, I have my own router, will I be able to use it on a bridge mode? Can't find anywhere on their site that says what input modem is being used. Is it an ISP provided box or is it like ADSL where I can get my own modem?

They seem to be trying to encourage people who want to run a server to buy their more expensive packages. When I first got ais Fibre none of my ports were accessible from the outside world until I called AIS to ask them why and then it suddenly started working.

3 minutes ago, suzannegoh said:

They seem to be trying to encourage people who want to run a server to buy their more expensive packages. When I first got ais Fibre none of my ports were accessible from the outside world until I called AIS to ask them why and then it suddenly started working.

That's just... -_-

So did you have to pay for it in the end? Or was it just a call and all your ports were open?

Still really weird though. Wouldn't those who run servers be using their PRO or business packages rather then home users.

That's just... -_-

So did you have to pay for it in the end? Or was it just a call and all your ports were open?

Still really weird though. Wouldn't those who run servers be using their PRO or business packages rather then home users.

Didn't pay them anything extra, just made a call (about 3 months ago) and it's been working ever since. I'm not very clear about what they are doing, they also have a Web page for subscribers to open up ports on their own but I was completely unable to log onto that.

19 minutes ago, suzannegoh said:

Didn't pay them anything extra, just made a call (about 3 months ago) and it's been working ever since. I'm not very clear about what they are doing, they also have a Web page for subscribers to open up ports on their own but I was completely unable to log onto that.

Ah okay, thank you :)

Also, what kind of a receiver/modem is it for AIS fiber? Is it just a modem or modem/router combo?

Will I be able to use my own router on a bridge?

Ah okay, thank you :)
Also, what kind of a receiver/modem is it for AIS fiber? Is it just a modem or modem/router combo?
Will I be able to use my own router on a bridge?

They gave me a ZTE 802.11n router (with the WiFi section turned off) to which the incoming Fibre is attached and to which they connected a cheap Edimax 802.11ac router that they configured as an access point. The Edimax can easily be replaced by the router of your choice. Fortuitously, the Edimax can be reconfigured to operate as a WiFi bridge so if you have your own ac router and devices in your house that lack ac capability but do have an ethernet jack, that's an easy way to give them 802.11ac capability.

Ah okay, finally I managed to get an answer! Called them up and they couldn't give me a proper answer on that. So strange to give so many devices in such a manner. Do you have full access to the ZTE router? Like in Malaysia, some ISPs give you a modem and give you partial access to it, so you can't configure some settings and such.

Ah okay, finally I managed to get an answer! Called them up and they couldn't give me a proper answer on that. So strange to give so many devices in such a manner. Do you have full access to the ZTE router? Like in Malaysia, some ISPs give you a modem and give you partial access to it, so you can't configure some settings and such.

AIS might be using somewhat different hardware in different parts of Thailand. I am in Chiang Mai.

I watched what the technicians were doing very closely while they were doing the installation and I had them give me the passwords for both the ZTE and Edimax routers, and with that you can reconfigure them as you please. The Edimax does have custom firmware which limits what modes you can operate it in, but others here have reported success reflashing that router with the stock Edimax firmware and to use it as a simple bridge it was not necessary to reflash it.

Archived