3bb vs ais fiber vs true online ( fttx)

primacybkk

• Replies 917
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had a good moan at AIS this evening.

I was watching BBC 2 1080p with my IPTV, no problem, then at exactly 6p.m. buffering started and became and unwatchable, so I downgrade to 720p and that was OK for about 30mins then that started buffering, so I downgraded to SD and again that was OK for about 30 mins before the buffering started.

I suggested  cutting my payment to 666 Baht as I'm only getting a useable 18 hours, to which they replied that I was already getting my moneys worth as I was using a lot of bandwidth everyday.

I thought what's that got do with it as I'm supposed to be getting unlimited bandwidth and I suggested that maybe they were cutting my bandwidth because I was using too much.

They said no and that they would never do that, but I was not convinced. Anyway they said they would pass it on to their engineers. so that will probably take 3 days.

This is the very reason I got rid of True in September 2015, and swapped it for AIS, and it has been wonderful for most of that time, with the occasional hiccup.

I hope this is just another hiccup. Or has their customer base got so big that they are having to resort to dirty tricks like True and 3BB.

2 hours ago, elfpattaya said:

I had a good moan at AIS this evening.

Where is the IPTV service that you're trying to use, and more particularly its servers, located?

A normal, everything working OK AIS Fiber connection ought to be able to handle any domestic Thailand video streaming connection without any problem, pretty much any time of the day.

But if you're trying to connect to video servers in the UK, for example, that seems to be one area in particular that AIS seems to have more problems with.

Also, if you're getting slow internet for EVERYTHING in the evening hours, that would suggest you've got too much usage for the fiber cable that serves your area (i.e., AIS has oversubscribed your line). But if most of your internet is fine in the evenings, but it's just your IPTV that's having problems, then there's probably a different factor coming into play.

Hello TallGuyJohninBKK, the problem is basically with my IPTV service, which is Dexter, which to be honest with you is crap and having problems of it's own and  I will probably be unsubscribing after this month.

I just find it remarkable that it deteriorates so quickly at 6 p.m. and works again perfectly at around midnight. It's working fine again now in glorious HD.

I may be becoming a little paranoid over this because I had the same problems with True over a year ago.

I don't think I'm oversubscribed as I was the only one in my Moo Ban with AIS and all the advertising banners have now gone.

Still this only started a week ago, and it just reminds me of the problems I had with True, especially the crap about peak hours. It was surely still peak hours from 6p.m. to midnight last month when it was working perfectly.

the problem is basically with my IPTV service, which is Dexter, which to be honest with you is crap and having problems of it's own and  I will probably be unsubscribing after this month.

I don't know where Dexter and its servers are located. But, I think it's important to remember, there are typically many different links in the chain that it can take to get video content from one place to another over the Internet. And it only takes a problem in any one of those links for the end result to suffer.

It kind of seemed like you started out blaming AIS, and now in your last post, you're saying you think the problem is with your IPTV provider. So it seems to me, before you start complaining about AIS's fiber service here to all those reading in the thread, you ought to be a bit more careful and clear in establishing what's actually going on with your situation.

If the problem is with your Dexter service, then you should be able to stream just fine from other places like YouTube, etc., even in the evening hours local time. If the problem is with your AIS service, then obviously,  it would likely impact your overall internet connection much more broadly. And you haven't indicated you've done any of the things you might do to try to tell the difference between the two.

Who controls the routing of an IP connection? As I said, (in post 240), I seem to be able to get my connection to perform well enough to stream without issues by using a VPN. This demonstrates that the problem is most likely not my IPTV. It also suggests that the problem isn't my local connection either.

Now, this is where my knowledge fails me. I'm aware that an Internet connection could take a number of different routes via multiple different servers. Now, who controls the route? AIS, or someone else?

Either way, I see it as AIS's problem because they are not providing me a service that is acceptable to me. I jumped ship from True because of performance issues, so where's the guarantee that if I now go to 3BB for example that it will get better, consistently and permanently? Unfortunately I'm fairly sure the same will happen again.

Basically with a VPN connection (which can be encrypted or non-encrypted but most people just it in encrypted mode) it can sometimes get around choke-points by taking a different routing....and/or your ISP not being able to recognize the type of data flowing and not throttling it .    

While your chokepoint could be anywhere between your residence and your streaming service (to include the streaming service itself), I expect the problem is at AIS's international gateway....ditto for True and 3BB.  By problem at their international gateway I mean not buyiing/having enough international bandwidth.  And could the international speed quickly go down from 6pm to midnight?  Sure, because maybe there is a rapid increase at that time due to people being home from work and school starting to use international bandwidth or it's just the type of international bandwidth the ISPs have bought which have time of day pricing provisions (like maybe more expensive from 6pm to midnight Thailand time) and the ISPs instead opt for a cheaper/less dedicated/less assured international bandwidth during that period.    

I was with True DOCSIS/cable for 5 years and saw the same thing happen in their international speed being noticeably lower during the evening to around midnight.

Here are some partial quotes from AIS and True regarding the speed your get...notice True even points out the 6pm to midnight period.  Although True is talking large files duirng the 6pm to midnight time frame I expect it applies to any type of data traffic.

From AIS Terms and Conditions

(2) For the prevention and avoidance of effect on other subscriber using of service, AWN reserves the right to specify the conditions prioritizes the collective interest of general subscribers. Furthermore, Fixed Broadband Service is a co-speed of data usage service for both the receiving and sending of data. Therefore the quality and speed of internet depend on quantity, amount of subscribers, the distance between the internet network and subscribers’ premises, quality and efficiency of connecting devices including the server of website which the subscribers visit and may affect the speed of internet to be lower than specified for the package selected by Subscriber.

From True Terms and Conditions

5.1 speed connection Is the speed of the computer connected to the network. TrueOnline-Internet (No download speed data) Actual download speeds may be lower than the maximum speed. The connection would apply the hold. The sites are located abroad. Depending on several factors, including climate and the distance phone calls within the user's service. The computer Speeds Connect to the Internet And jamming of the Internet Accessories include server and Router Users of the site visit. And several other factors. Therefore, the Company can not give assurance that the speed of the service, the user will be equal to the speed at which the expressed purpose. 

5.2 download large files The download from overseas during 18.00 - 24.00 hrs., During which time the broadband network. And the use of Wi-Fi network density could cause the speed of the service under contract this fall.

Interesting legalese in something not quite English. Of course I accept (reluctantly) that there is always going to be some kind of "fair use policy", however I fail to see how my interests are being served when AIS are unable to provide me even 10% of my rated bandwidth. If they're doing it to me then they'll be doing it others and it shouldn't be accepted.

4 hours ago, JaiMaai said:

As I said, (in post 240), I seem to be able to get my connection to perform well enough to stream without issues by using a VPN. This demonstrates that the problem is most likely not my IPTV. It also suggests that the problem isn't my local connection either.

What IPTV service are you trying to use, and where are its servers located?

The stated plan DL speeds that the various ISPs provide are only MAXIMUMS meant to apply to domestic Thai connections. They make no promises re international connections.

If you can get your IPTV to work fine with AIS and an entirely free and unlimited VPN connection like Opera, that's not such a bad outcome.

I think Pib has got it 100%, in that it is the international gateway that is affected.

I agree also with JaiMaai, they offer unlimited bandwidth and should not cut the bandwidth just because it is more expensive at peak hours.

I was hoping AIS wouldn't do this, they promised me (verbally) that they wouldn't, but it seems that they have gone the same way as the others now that they have got a substantial customer base.

6 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

If you can get your IPTV to work fine with AIS and an entirely free and unlimited VPN connection like Opera, that's not such a bad outcome

The Opera VPN only works in their Browser. I am using my IPTV in Kodi.

I have got a VPN (Zenmate) that used to work on the desktop, but unfortunately that doesn't work that well now.

19 minutes ago, elfpattaya said:

I think Pib has got it 100%, in that it is the international gateway that is affected.

I agree also with JaiMaai, they offer unlimited bandwidth and should not cut the bandwidth just because it is more expensive at peak hours.

AIS and other ISPs don't offer "unlimited bandwidth." As the T&Cs Pib posted above clearly show, the ISPs specifically say that they don't guarantee their speeds, especially for international connections.

Also, they're not cutting the bandwidth during prime time. More than likely, it's simply a case of trying to drive home on the freeway at 5 pm in the evening. There's going to be congestion because there's more cars competing to use the same space -- not because the freeway got smaller or was restricted.

If your issues are related to AIS's international bandwidth, then you'd be experiencing the same kinds of slowdowns for other international connections during those same hours. And I haven't seen you indicate that.

2 minutes ago, elfpattaya said:

I'm using Kodi on my desktop computer. Why should I have to use a VPN anyway ?

There are tons of VPN options that operate at the PC system level.

You use a VPN service because, often with ISPs in Thailand, doing so will dramatically improve your international streaming performance.

At VPN prices as low as $2 to $5 per month, it's an easy choice to make.

The Opera VPN only works in their Browser. I am using my IPTV in Kodi.
I have got a VPN (Zenmate) that used to work on the desktop, but unfortunately that doesn't work that well now.

There is an Android app. That's what I'm using.

Re Dexter, you're expecting consistent, quality streaming performance from a gray-market Kodi add-on service???

Is this who you're dealing with? From reading the comments, sounds pretty shady.

https://www.facebook.com/Dexertv/

https://www.reddit.com/r/Addons4Kodi/comments/4jc5lh/avoid_dexter_iptv/

4 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

You use a VPN service because, often with ISPs in Thailand, doing so will dramatically improve your international streaming performance.

I didn't have a problem with International streaming until last week.

Why should I pay for a VPN because a Thai ISP aren't willing to pay more for international bandwidth during peak hours.

Surely AIS have more customers, hence the problem, so with their extra income, why don't they pay the extra costs.

Anyway I'm still waiting for the engineer to contact me, I have had satisfactory outcomes from them in the past.

ISPs advertise their plans as "domestic" speed; not international. If you are getting the plan's full speed when using Speedtest.net to your nearest domestic server then full bandwidth is being provided. ISPs do not guarantee what level of international speed you will get.

Testmy.net to London at 6:39pm Thailand time on my AIS 50/10 PowerHome plan.  Later on it may be one tenth of below speed to the UK while still speedy to Europe and US.  UK just seems to be a problem child for AIS and even True when I was with them...probably other Thai ISPs also.

NwSQ7zIgy.MaziFul6j.png

55 minutes ago, Pib said:

Testmy.net to London at 6:39pm Thailand time on my AIS 50/10 PowerHome plan.  Later on it may be one tenth of below speed to the UK while still speedy to Europe and US.  UK just seems to be a problem child for AIS and even True when I was with them...probably other Thai ISPs also.

NwSQ7zIgy.MaziFul6j.png

And just for comparison, 3BB fiber 200/50 plan in BKK:

Direct connection, no VPN

PS0105.jpg

Connection thru UK VPN server

PS0106.jpg

Someone asked earlier, why should they use a VPN for international connections...

On 11/3/2016 at 4:47 PM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

If you end up going down that "mini" road, I'll be very curious to hear how that kind of wifi adapter performs, especially at the AC wifi levels.

Usually, for optimum reception purposes, you WANT a good antenna.

TG, 

Yesterday I got a "mini" Wifi USB adpater...specifically the Edimax AC600 EW-7811UTC as shown at this InvadeIT page.   It was in store stock when I ordered it from Invade and 24 hrs later I rec'd it....I used EMS shipping at a shipping cost of Bt52.   The Edimax 7811 is a AC433 & N150 adpater which means it can do 1x1 RX/TX stream at  433Mb Link Speed on 5Ghz and 150Mb Link Speed on 2.4GHz.   I went with the Edimax versus the ASUS AC51 mini adapter because the speed comparison at this SmallNetBuilder webpage showed it edged out the ASUS in speed and signal range.

Although the Edimax came with a mini CD with driver and you can get the driver off the Edimax web page the Edimax support site said the driver is built-into Win 10.  So, I just plugged the Edimax into my USB 2 slot and it was immediately recognized/driver loaded....I'm up and running.  Too easy.   With the adapter plugged in its basically sticks out the length of your thumbnail...not potentially in the way like a full size finger length adapter or even a biger one that comes with a dipole antenna.  

So, will such a little adapter with a tiny internal antenna have much range?   I have been pleasantly surprised.   I have the Edimax AC750 freebie router setup in Access Point mode and hooked to the primary AIS Fibre fiber optics router...and these two devices are on the second story of my two story concrete home.    A home with 4 to 6 inch thick internal concrete walls and 6 inch thick 2 story floor....just awesome Wifi signal obstruction material. 

I then ran some speed tests using Speedtest.net as the source and also  a 100MB sized file from my home server at the source.   My AIS plan is the 50/10 plan.  And a key point here regarding the test with the home server, the Edimax AC750 Access Point as only 100Mb/FAST ethernet ports...so even though my home server has 1000Mb/gigabit ports the transferred of that 100MB sized file from the home server can not exceed approx 100Mb speed due the the Edimax ports....basically Edimax ethernet ports cause  a chokepoint where the speed test could not exceed 100Mb even if the router's and min-adpater's Wifi circuits could transfer data faster than 100Mb.   OK, here are the results.

First, using Speedtest.net I had no problem pulling my AIS Fibre 50/10 speed on a 2.8 or 5GHz connection either upstairs only a few meters away from the Edimax Access Point or Downstairs after the signal had to fight through concrete walls and a floor.

Now, let's use my Home Server as the source by transferring a 100MB sized file:

The laptop only a few meters from the Access Point on 5Ghz connection...no obstructions...Link Speed showing on adapter is the max 433Mb...I do three transfers tests..   I pulled 98Mb data throughput speed which is probably the max the Edmax Access Point 100Mb ethernet ports could really pass through to its Wifi circuit.

Capture 5G Upstairs_433Mb Link Speed.JPG

The laptop now downstairs probably 8 diagonal meters away from the Access Point and the signal having to fight through two 4 inch thick concrete walls and one 6 inch thick floor.  Still using a 5Ghz connection...adapter Link Speed now showing 260Mb....I do three transfer tests.  I pull around 95Mb data throughput speed. 

Capture 5G Downstairs)260Mb Link Speed.JPG

I now switch to a 2.4Ghz connection....laptop still in same location downstairs....adapter Link Speed now showing  the max 150Mb for a 1X1 N connection...I do three tests and still pull around 95Mb data throughput speed even 2.4Ghz. 

Capture 2.4G Downstairs_150Mb Link Speed.JPG

Big thumbs up to the Edimax EW7811UTC mini Wifi USB adapter.   I've used it for the last 24 hours with zero problems.

Over the coming days I'm probably going to buy an ASUS RT-55UHP AC1200 router like shown at this InvadeIT page but I will buy it locally at a nearby ITCity Computer store.    It will be used in Access Point mode and replace my ASUS N300 (300Mb, 2.4Ghz only) Access Point downstairs....and will be connected to the AIS primary router via in-place Ethernet connection.    This will give me an even better 5Ghz signal downstairs and a pretty good one upstairs probably and also eliminate the 100Mb ethernet port chokepoint I have with my Home Server right now.  Although the server has 1000Mb ports it been hooked to an Access Point that only had 100Mb ethernet ports. With this choke point eliminated I will be able to see what max data throughput/real life speeds the mini Wifi adapter can reach and should be a little over 200Mb based on the 5Ghz connection close range throughput test results shown in the SmallNetBuilder link I gave earlier.    

With the freebie Edimax used to provide 5 and 2.4Ghz coverage upstairs and the ASUS to provide 5 and 2.4Ghz coverage downstairs....and being able to now use a 5Ghz connection to eliminate neighbor's Wifi interference (I'm the only one using a 5Ghz signal in my area per the app InSSIDER...everyone else is using 2.4Ghz N Wifi) my max speed via Wifi connection should be able to easily handle a 100Mb internet plan at full speed anywhere in the house.....and maybe up to around 200Mb if I ever get a plan that fast like you HiSo 3BB 200Mb plan folks.  :tongue:    I say "maybe" on the 200Mb plan because I'm thinking I may have to get a AC1200 2x2 Wifi USB adapter that are currently finger length in size....once I get my new ASUS AC router and do some more testing I will know.

30 minutes ago, Pib said:

my max speed via Wifi connection should be able to easily handle a 100Mb internet plan at full speed anywhere in the house.....and maybe up to around 200Mb if I ever get a plan that fast like you HiSo 3BB 200Mb plan folks.  :tongue:    I say "maybe" on the 200Mb plan because I'm thinking I may have to get a AC1200 2x2 Wifi USB adapter that are currently finger length in size....once I get my new ASUS AC router and do some more testing I will know.

Pib, with all your new and coming networking hardware acquisitions, you think your home network is finally going to be fast enough for your to check your online email or even post to ThaiVisa???  :cheesy:

And now a few minutes below 10pm on my AIS 50/10 to the UK using Testmy.net....big slow down from about an hour ago to the UK.

n1i2Ph6uD.75rLwKZAs.png

But immediately test to Germany and a single thread test is still moving along OK.    Just something about getting across the English Channel I guess.

T7JrsyFPA.rtdp25KlU.png

Some quick results from my AIS 50/10 in the morning....looks like going towards Europe it's  s...l....o....w  but fast going towards the U.S.   And going to Singapore although a good speed it's slower than normal.   Me expect (a guess) the AIS international gateway is the problem, except maybe for the UK which is frequently slow while Europe and the U.S. remain fast....and Singapore is normally faster than it is this morning.

And not at 8:17am in the morning to the UK....really slow.

I2YtCwHTf.E5Mwx9DTl.png

And even slow to Germany at 8:20am

ST9D0KF5A.t42qNGHRB.png

But speedy to the U.S. at 8:24am

9DhWA7ola.2lkFxERch.png

And to Singapore at 8:26am....usually to Singapore anytime of the day it's faster than below 21Mb...normally in the 40Mb plus ballpark.

O5ApowSJF.fAHw4hjJ3.png

Will check later in the day to see if speeds improve.  But for typical browsing and emailing I don't notice any difference in responsiveness.

Archived