Tourism in Thailand to continue with curbs on entertainment

webfact

Tourism to continue with curbs on entertainment
By The Nation

tt.jpg

BANGKOK: -- TOURISM IN Thailand will continue as usual although the authorities have asked for cooperation from business operators to refrain from entertainment activities like dancing and concerts for at least the first 30 days  after the passing of His Majesty King Bhumibol Adulyadej, Deputy Prime Minister General Thanasak Patimapragorn said yesterday. 

Thanasak said that tourism in Thailand had other aspects including health and culture and these they could be promoted to welcome tourists to the country. 

Full story: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30297993

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2016-10-20

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, seahorse said:

I have never seen the health aspect of tourism in Thailand promoted before. Perhaps someone could enlighten me as to what they mean by that? I would have thought that being a tourist in Thailand was bad for your health.

I am guessing they mean medical tourism? I understand why things are in black and white but pics like those in the OP are hardly going to blow anybody away who is thinking of coming here. 

Dancing is a healthy form of exercise! I think this means no disco dancing, outdoor aerobics or spinning around poles.

As far as I can see on the interweb most tourist spots have been respectful and turned off their bright neon lights and moved the entertainment side inside out of view.

The advice to tourists should be don't worry it's all open as usual but please wear black.

Your not going to offend anyone if you wear black. That is all you need to do. Enjoy your holiday.

15 hours ago, anotheruser said:

I am guessing they mean medical tourism? I understand why things are in black and white but pics like those in the OP are hardly going to blow anybody away who is thinking of coming here.

On Tuesday, I was in Siam Paragon and decided to look at what TVs were going for now.  So I headed up to Power Mall to browse.  Every TV was in B&W.  No color anywhere.  Now who is going to buy a TV without being able to compare the colors that a TV can produce.

I understand the situitation in Thailand at the moment, but this kind of decision is just bad for business.

On the other hand, the usually too loud and annoying 'background' music played in the mall was a pleasant quiet musak for a change.  This is a change I would like to see become permanent.

folks just need to deal with this, its a huge loss to the Thai society.  There is plenty to do in Thailand still.  Its not like they are stopping you from having a beer. 

Those of us who live here understand the loss to the Thai people. I'm sure that if I wanted to go out drinking tonight I could.

The perception caused by these ambiguous statements, talking about curbs on entertainment, toning down, for uncertain periods of time, together with mass cancellations of football matches concerts and other events for several months will have already created a perception that Thailand's tourist industry is closed.
The first attack on a foreign tourist, by some zealot, for not wearing the right colour shirt or some other assumed insult (and we can be sure that there will be one) will serve as confirmation, and finish the job.

Dancing is a healthy form of exercise! I think this means no disco dancing, outdoor aerobics or spinning around poles.

As far as I can see on the interweb most tourist spots have been respectful and turned off their bright neon lights and moved the entertainment side inside out of view.

The advice to tourists should be don't worry it's all open as usual but please wear black.

Your not going to offend anyone if you wear black. That is all you need to do. Enjoy your holiday.

If I was planning to spend a large chunk of my annual income on a holiday here, and they told me that I would have to wear black, I would go somewhere else!

Too bad for the tourists but something like this can happen just like other disasters. Its out of control of anyone.  For the Thais this is a major event and it will cost them some money and they will lose some tourists. I am quite sure they accept that. Its just one of those out of control things. 

But its not as bad as people have predicted in the past no violence and such against foreigners. On the bar stools complete anarchy was predicted... 

3 minutes ago, JAG said:

If I was planning to spend a large chunk of my annual income on a holiday here, and they told me that I would have to wear black, I would go somewhere else!

And so you should .. Thais have a right to mourn and you have a right to change your destination.

2 minutes ago, robblok said:

And so you should .. Thais have a right to mourn and you have a right to change your destination.

Yes they have a right to mourn. I'm not disputing that at all. But if that mourning impinges significantly on visitors, then you  have  to accept that it will dissuade them from coming, yes?

I suppose what I am saying is that you can't have it both ways.

1 minute ago, JAG said:

Yes they have a right to mourn. I'm not disputing that at all. But if that mourning impinges significantly on visitors, then you  have  to accept that it will dissuade them from coming, yes?

I suppose what I am saying is that you can't have it both ways.

That is exactly what I am saying too..  can't have it both ways. 

My parents are coming in the second half of November, they have no worries at all. It wont influence a beach holiday that much, I am sure I wont have a moment less fun diving and snorkeling in the ocean. Just eating at the restaurants at night and some softer music does not sound bad to me at all. 

I guess if your love hard core partying you might have some problems. Though a friend of mine told me the disco's in Pattaya are as filled as normal. 

But some people come for events like Loy Katong.. then its a bit more problem and for the bar hoppers it might be less fun.

Deputy PM: Most tourists understand Thailand’s situation

BANGKOK, 20 October 2016 (NNT) – Deputy Prime Minister Gen Tanasak Patimapragorn has confirmed tourists’ understanding of the situation in Thailand as the country goes through a period of mourning. 

To accommodate foreign travelers coming to Thailand during this period when the country continues to mourn the late His Majesty King Bhumibol Adulyadej, Gen Tanasak revealed that cooperation has been sought from the Tourism Authority of Thailand and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs to create awareness among the visitors regarding the current state of the country. 

The deputy premier insisted that tourists are still welcome in Thailand as usual. So far, he said most of them have understood that they should refrain from engaging in entertainment activities as a way of expressing condolences to the country. However, he reiterated that traditional ceremonies and cultural events, such as Loy Krathong, can still be organized. 

In the meantime, upon their arrival at various airports around the country, travelers are being provided with black ribbons by Tourism Department officials so that they can mourn with the Thai people. Gen Tanasak admitted a slight decline in tourist arrivals is possible but it should not be a cause for concern. 

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2016-10-20

34 minutes ago, Mickmouse1 said:

I am shocked but not surprised that Soi 8 Pattaya is open nightly even when it was flooded 4 days ago.I received vdo clip from a friend showing me biz as usual.Sad indeed that people are greedy

"I am shocked......"

Why??

3 minutes ago, MZurf said:

"I am shocked......"

Why??

Im not shocked either.. people need to make money people need to live. A bad economy will have more people out on the street then a bad government. Just look at Maslow and you see that food and shelter comes first. 

People can mourn.. but getting kicked out of a home because they cant pay rent because they stopped working is not going to be good for anyone. 

I'm pretty sure they don't expect tourists to wear black. I'm in Chiang Mai and vests shorts and flip flops are the fashion as usual. No lynchings as of yet

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Mickmouse1 said:

I am shocked but not surprised that Soi 8 Pattaya is open nightly even when it was flooded 4 days ago.I received vdo clip from a friend showing me biz as usual.Sad indeed that people are greedy

Soi cowboy was doing the same the night after,  that's respect for you,  money comes first,  they've toned it down now though.  Ratchada night market was back to normal last night,  music pumping out,  was at a level where it didn't hurt the ears,  still loud though. Think someone mentioned the malls playing nicer music,  the mrt is nice at the moment without the loud advertisements,  hopefully that will stay a while. 

3 hours ago, seahorse said:

I have never seen the health aspect of tourism in Thailand promoted before. Perhaps someone could enlighten me as to what they mean by that? I would have thought that being a tourist in Thailand was bad for your health.

LOS makes probably billions of baht from health tourism, as people come to get cheaper or better surgery than they can back home. Dental alone is probably huge for overseas people in LOS.

1 hour ago, Mickmouse1 said:

There's absolutely no sadness in the country's interim leadership being totally pragmatic. I find their official guidance in the follow up to this nations most immensely traumatic event in anyone's living memory surprisingly and refreshingly enlightened.

49 minutes ago, mcfish said:

I'm pretty sure they don't expect tourists to wear black. I'm in Chiang Mai and vests shorts and flip flops are the fashion as usual. No lynchings as of yet

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

True. In Pattaya I saw 2 tourists wearing red shirts and completely ignored by the locals. Perhaps it is worth noting that Bkk is not Thailand- they live in a bubble there, to a certain extent.

1 hour ago, MZurf said:

"I am shocked......"

Why??

I have noted with bemusement that some TV posters are attempting to be more Thai than the Thais. Also, that they appear to think some of the poorest Thais can afford to give up their only source of income for a month, or longer.

2 hours ago, Wilsonandson said:

Erm, there is no need to wear black, or any other colour ( at least outside Bkk ). The black ribbons they are giving out at the airport are sufficient, and I have seen Thais wearing them with any colour shirt. I'm not saying that wearing the full Glitterman regalia would be a good idea, but as in all things, moderation is always the best way.

Having said that, wearing a red shirt outside the Grand Palace would not be recommended, and neither would wearing a string bikini in town be acceptable.

If in doubt, wear a black or white shirt, but in tourist areas there does not seem to be any reason to overthink this.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

2 hours ago, Mickmouse1 said:

Yeah, how dare they earn money to eat, pay their bills, pay rent, look after their family.

Selfish indeed.

Edited by Bluespunk