Tourism in Thailand to continue with curbs on entertainment

webfact

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I have noted with bemusement that some TV posters are attempting to be more Thai than the Thais. Also, that they appear to think some of the poorest Thais can afford to give up their only source of income for a month, or longer.

As I mentioned earlier, the authorities appear to be much more pragmatic than 'some TV posters' would like. Unless anyone takes advantage of the situation, I don't see any major issues with mourning for one year as currently advised beyond the reduced tourist counts.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

18 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

As I mentioned earlier, the authorities appear to be much more pragmatic than 'some TV posters' would like. Unless anyone takes advantage of the situation, I don't see any major issues with mourning for one year as currently advised beyond the reduced tourist counts.

So, no major festivals like Yee Peng or Loy Krathong next month, no Songkran next year, or any of the other festivals that bring tourists and their money for one year. The people that will suffer are poor Thais that depend on tourists. A year without a high season will see many destitute. Reduced tourist counts are catastrophic for some.

Apparently, the one party I'd like to see permanently cancelled ( the FMP ) will carry on after one cancellation.

I assume potential tourists are left confused at a time they would normally be making travel arrangements for next month.

3 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

:laugh:   Some of us don't go to  these dens of depraved decadent debauchery. 

We've only got a couple up where I live anyway, and they appear to be run along lines dictated by Enid Blyton! :smile:

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

True. In Pattaya I saw 2 tourists wearing red shirts and completely ignored by the locals. Perhaps it is worth noting that Bkk is not Thailand- they live in a bubble there, to a certain extent.

Same in Ubon yesterday, a fair few people wearing black including myself but quite a few tourists and Thais who weren't also.

I'm sort of hoping that the government see's that they don't really need the low life bar scene in many areas. That they stay mellow for the future.  No loud music, no drunken farangs walking the streets in wife beaters or no shirts at all. This quietness is somewhat enjoyable to those of us that don't live our lives in the  pens of pigs. It would be nice if tourist came here for the true culture and the beauty of the beaches and countryside.   

37 minutes ago, kowpot said:

I'm sort of hoping that the government see's that they don't really need the low life bar scene in many areas. That they stay mellow for the future.  No loud music, no drunken farangs walking the streets in wife beaters or no shirts at all. This quietness is somewhat enjoyable to those of us that don't live our lives in the  pens of pigs. It would be nice if tourist came here for the true culture and the beauty of the beaches and countryside.   

And it would be so nice, if people like you just took their arrogance elsewhere!

This seems to be a big problem, among the Thai'er than Thai: tolerance only works in one direction- theirs!

There is a lot of stuff -touristic and non- touristic- that I don't like or enjoy!

If others like or enjoy it (or - god forbid- make a living off it!), I am tolerant enough to let that go and just not join them in their "fun"!

Ever heard of "live and let live"?

Try that sometimes!

40 minutes ago, kowpot said:

...  No loud music, no drunken farangs walking the streets in wife beaters or no shirts at all. This quietness is somewhat enjoyable to those of us that don't live our lives in the  pens of pigs. ...

Where do you actually live? Your abridged comment above appears a bit contradictory. If you are living anywhere near Soi 4 Bangkok or Soi 6 in Pattaya, I have no sympathy. If you don't ordinarily see bare chested, drunk foreigners walking about in your village, what's your point?

2 hours ago, kowpot said:

Why are you living where that goes on? Just move to a non tourist town where you will only have to put up with loud music from Thai nightclubs, and drunken Thais.

2 hours ago, kowpot said:

The irony is the gogo bars are doing business pretty much as usual and it is the cultural and wholesome activities that are taking the hit. Bangkok had to cancel two sort of big name bands as far as this town goes. Don't imagine Morissey and Scorpion will be in a hurry to come back. Loy Katong... maybe Song Kran... who knows? 

It seems to me in some ways the complete opposite of what you would like is happening. Unless no traditional events over the next one year period of mourning is what you wanted while meanwhile behind closed doors on walking street life marches on.

Edited by anotheruser

One doesn't have to live in those areas to be affected by it.  Even in a small quiet hamlet, people look upon a foreigner by the reputation given to them by the rude and uneducated.  And by uneducated, I mean those that are too ignorant to know that their actions have consequences. It reflects on the rest of the farang and expat community.

6 minutes ago, kowpot said:

One doesn't have to live in those areas to be affected by it.  Even in a small quiet hamlet, people look upon a foreigner by the reputation given to them by the rude and uneducated.  And by uneducated, I mean those that are too ignorant to know that their actions have consequences. It reflects on the rest of the farang and expat community.

I bet, you are the life of every party!

17 minutes ago, kowpot said:

Oh, get over yourself.

10 hours ago, WhizBang said:

On Tuesday, I was in Siam Paragon and decided to look at what TVs were going for now.  So I headed up to Power Mall to browse.  Every TV was in B&W.  No color anywhere.  Now who is going to buy a TV without being able to compare the colors that a TV can produce.

I understand the situitation in Thailand at the moment, but this kind of decision is just bad for business.

On the other hand, the usually too loud and annoying 'background' music played in the mall was a pleasant quiet musak for a change.  This is a change I would like to see become permanent.

Like everything in Thailand not everything is in  black and white.........................

1 minute ago, chainarong said:

Like everything in Thailand not everything is in  black and white.........................

I know, what you mean, but...

I think, it is the exact opposite: EVERYTHING in Thailand is black and white!

There is no middle way!

13 hours ago, webfact said:

curbs on entertainment

That sounds ominous. I can understand that for the first week or so entertainment is going to be toned down but what about the New Year celebrations? It's the most expensive time of the year to visit and if the period of mourning is going to stretch over Christmas and the New Year it's going to ruin it for many visitors who will have spent a considerable amount of money to make the trip.

58 minutes ago, Xircal said:

That sounds ominous. I can understand that for the first week or so entertainment is going to be toned down but what about the New Year celebrations? It's the most expensive time of the year to visit and if the period of mourning is going to stretch over Christmas and the New Year it's going to ruin it for many visitors who will have spent a considerable amount of money to make the trip.

I understand they have been cancelled. No doubt establishments that normally benefit from such are in shock, but don't expect any complaints in public ( no doubt much is going on behind closed doors ).

However, even if the authorities came out now and reversed it, most western tourists will have already have made plans to go elsewhere.

13 hours ago, seahorse said:

I have never seen the health aspect of tourism in Thailand promoted before. Perhaps someone could enlighten me as to what they mean by that? I would have thought that being a tourist in Thailand was bad for your health.

Have you ever been in a Thai "health club" ??

8 hours ago, kowpot said:

I agree but the Thai don't build nice parks and even the ones they have they charge the tourists 10times the Thai price.

Without the sleezy part Thailand is not interesting for most tourists so they won't come. And without extorting them many Thai will be out of job. Also without copy copy stuff for low prices they will miss tourists who come to buy it.

And loud music is everywhere, especially at the countryside near a temple or monkparty. 

Tourists think it would be nice to walk along the beaches on a clean wide pavement but also that's impossible in Thailand.

And without full moon parties the islanders will miss their income, unless they make it 5* on their islands and use metred taxi's to name something.

I don't miss anything now and sure not the loud noise...

13 hours ago, Mickmouse1 said:

I am shocked but not surprised that Soi 8 Pattaya is open nightly even when it was flooded 4 days ago.I received vdo clip from a friend showing me biz as usual.Sad indeed that people are greedy

I was there on Tuesday and it most certainly was not business as usual. All outside lights were off and there was no music playing in the street. Of course, it was business as usual behind closed doors, but the beer bars were absolutely dead.

16 hours ago, mcfish said:

I'm pretty sure they don't expect tourists to wear black. I'm in Chiang Mai and vests shorts and flip flops are the fashion as usual. No lynchings as of yet

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

In Chiang Mai 50% of all hotel bookings are cancelled within 3 days, as the Mayor made a stupid unforced statement, that everything will be cancelleduntil end of the year. My gf works in a 5 star hotel, today they got wriiten order to take all their free days of in November, 

November was in the last 10 years the best month in Chiang Mai with a 100% utilization. 

Now they have only 50% booked what is worth than April and May, the worst months in CM. Untill January around 30 to 50% of the tourist orientated business will give up, because no cash flow and run out of money

17 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

So, no major festivals like Yee Peng or Loy Krathong next month, no Songkran next year, or any of the other festivals that bring tourists and their money for one year. The people that will suffer are poor Thais that depend on tourists. A year without a high season will see many destitute. Reduced tourist counts are catastrophic for some.

Apparently, the one party I'd like to see permanently cancelled ( the FMP ) will carry on after one cancellation.

I assume potential tourists are left confused at a time they would normally be making travel arrangements for next month.

The authorities have already eased on initial restrictions and draconian rules haven't been enacted. For example, the Pattaya Fireworks Festival was initially canceled but subsequently rescheduled. The fact that the country has had a huge, wrenching loss with the high possibility that the majority of Thai people would easily forego entertainment for a year has not been lost on the acting government. Neither has the huge impact on the low-to-middle income earners and virtually all those directly employed in all aspects of tourism. As I mentioned earlier, I see the situation being closely monitored and the rules being relaxed as and when they see fit. But if anyone chooses to take advantage of this, then the hammer can and will come down. Just respect the huge sadness that envelopes the nation when you are mulling about possibly missing out on just another, boring, over-commercialized Loy Krathong.

14 hours ago, kowpot said:

Despite the fallacy of the locals applying the broad brush as easily as westerners do, if you are a fine upstanding citizen in your community, or as I prefer, one of those that chooses to keep to oneself, why worry about what some rude and uneducated locals think about some rude and uneducated foreigners maybe 600 km away?

13 hours ago, kowpot said:

Didn't mean to start an argument. Just my opinion. Unlike most of you, I first came to Thailand when I was 19 yrs old. That was 44 years ago. So, there isn't much you can say for me to change my position.  

...and exactly how were the temples way, way back then?

3 hours ago, chickenrunCM said:

In Chiang Mai 50% of all hotel bookings are cancelled within 3 days, as the Mayor made a stupid unforced statement, that everything will be cancelled until end of the year. My gf works in a 5 star hotel, today they got wriiten order to take all their free days of in November, 

November was in the last 10 years the best month in Chiang Mai with a 100% utilization. 

Now they have only 50% booked what is worth than April and May, the worst months in CM. Untill January around 30 to 50% of the tourist orientated business will give up, because no cash flow and run out of money

I understand that one of the first orders last Thursday was for all City Mayors and Provincial Governors to attend their offices in order to receive urgent instructions. Being the last weekend before Awk Phansa, maybe not all officials attended or some simply chose to locally extend the curfews related to the end of Buddhist Lent as they were all set in stone. Either way, the nation's immediate loss trumps all at the moment and despite my initial misgivings, with regard to tourism-related events, there's no iron-fist dictating how businesses should trade moving forward. By the same token, the lack of any national restrictions and policy may lead to confusion and cause local officials and business owners to 'wing it' in lieu of formal guidance. That is unfortunate but pales in significance to Thailand's overall loss.

12 minutes ago, NongKhaiKid said:

Post 56 .

"...  the high possibility that the majority of Thai people would easily forgo entertainment for a year... "

Do you really think so ?

Certainly not the impression I get from the Thais I've spoken to.

You've been around this block long enough to appreciate the folly of believing what a Thai says versus what a Thai does. All bets are off if any foreigner claims to have good handle on what the Thai thinks.

Either way, if they are ultimately told that they are expected to forego entertainment for a year, with the huge peer pressure and inevitable Thai 'face' aspect, what do you think the vast majority will do?

22 hours ago, robblok said:

Too bad for the tourists but something like this can happen just like other disasters. Its out of control of anyone.  For the Thais this is a major event and it will cost them some money and they will lose some tourists. I am quite sure they accept that. Its just one of those out of control things. 

But its not as bad as people have predicted in the past no violence and such against foreigners. On the bar stools complete anarchy was predicted... 

Watch this space - it's only been a week.

Just now, NanLaew said:

You've been around this block long enough to appreciate the folly of believing what a Thai says versus what a Thai does. All bets are off if any foreigner claims to have good handle on what the Thai thinks.

Either way, if they are ultimately told that they are expected to forego entertainment for a year, with the huge peer pressure and inevitable Thai 'face' aspect, what do you think the vast majority will do?

I'm not claiming to have a good handle on what a Thai thinks but am surprised at openly being told the lack of entertainment isn't appreciated as I was expecting the party line as it were.

In the same vein to a certain extent I'm really surprised at the lack of mourning clothing being worn and that's not a thought to deed conflict.

I do appreciate the effect of peer pressure however which has been seen in a disgusting fashion in a couple of videos and the anger, violence is explained away by a psychologist as part of the grieving process. How does he explain the anger and violence at other times ?