Thai father plays Russian Roulette in front of son - and doesn't beat the odds

webfact

Thai father plays Russian Roulette in front of son - and doesn't beat the odds

a2.jpg

Picture: Daily News

NAKHON SI THAMMARAT: A father blew his brains out in front of his 19 year old son yesterday after playing Russian Roulette at a house in Nakorn Si Thammarat.

The man was an assistant to the Phoo Yai Ban and was said to have tried to hang himself before but failed, reports Daily News.

Santi Pakdeesuwan, 44, made no mistake this time. His son said he saw him run out of the house clutching a .38 revolver. The dad then emptied all the bullets out of the  gun before putting just one back and spinning the chamber.

He then held the gun to his left temple and fired.

Thung Song police and medics called to the house in Kuan Krot sub-district of Nakorn Sri Thammarat found the victim with a single gunshot wound. The bullet had exited the right temple.

Santi was a rubber farmer and police understand that he was stressed from some personal problems. Some time before he had tried to hand himself but was saved from death.

Investigations are ongoing.

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2016-10-20

29 minutes ago, Rorri said:

Well, I guess stupidity  has its price, at least he didn't  injure anyone else.

He was not stupid.  The article stated he had problems.  Person(s) with psychological problems are usually not stupid, they are in need of help.

24 minutes ago, samsensam said:

the man clearly had issues. mental illness is an illness and should be treated as such.

If he had a mental illness,  he should not have been allowed to have a gun. But  you need  a competent police force to enforce those rules / laws 

The attempt to hang himself, should have been a hint to those concerned to put potential dangerous objects out of easy access. At least take the bullets out of the weapon and put them somewhere he cant get to them. Course if he were real serious a knife, etc would work. But to only put 1 shell in the weapon may indicate he was not 100% committed, otherwise he would have left it fully loaded. Maybe he hoped to walk away again.

Interestingly, you have a witness to the suicide and a record of a previous attempt at suicide and the investigation is still ongoing. I commend the thourghness of the investigation to rule out any foul play and hope they extend such attention to detail to cases involving apparent suicides of foreigners in the Kingdom.

my condolences to the family and hope the 19 year old son is not plagued by nightmares for the rest of his life from seeing such a thing from his own father no less. Horrendous!

2 hours ago, Rorri said:

Well, I guess stupidity  has its price, at least he didn't  injure anyone else.

Somebody obviously should write a book with instructions on how to do it right so nobody can save you the first time. 

If the father had made a previous suicide attempt, you would think the rest of the family might try to help

Taking away his gun would be a start

Then ask WHAT he was doing with a 38 to start with :whistling:

Edited by metisdead
Font reset to normal.

3 hours ago, indothai said:

He was not stupid.  The article stated he had problems.  Person(s) with psychological problems are usually not stupid, they are in need of help.

Agreed, he was in need of help and he should have sought it - but he was "stupid" to use the gun on himself in such a manner (and in front of a family member)! Would you do it as a sane person?

Condolences to his family and friends.

As a Clinical Psychologist may I say that the person who posted the comment, "Person(s) with psychological problems are usually not stupid, they are in need of help." does not know what he/she is talking about.  People with psychological problems run the gambit from the highest to the lowest of the measures we use.  I ask this poster to substantiate, with documented research, this statement because I would like to increase my knowledge in this field.   

54 minutes ago, wotsdermatter said:

As a Clinical Psychologist may I say that the person who posted the comment, "Person(s) with psychological problems are usually not stupid, they are in need of help." does not know what he/she is talking about.  People with psychological problems run the gambit from the highest to the lowest of the measures we use.  I ask this poster to substantiate, with documented research, this statement because I would like to increase my knowledge in this field.   

Shall I make it simple for you, most people are not stupid, most people with psychological problem are not stupid.

Many highly educated people lack common scene and understanding!

Edited by kevkev1888

1 hour ago, doremifasol said:

Forensic ballistics will tell.

may tell if the bullet was from that gun, if it is not too mangled and if they can find it as it exited the guys head before stopping. even then that does not really give any useful information. DNA test to see who has held the gun recently would be better or spent gun powder residues but would be surprised if they were carried out.

Edited by williamgeorgeallen

3 hours ago, johncat1 said:

If he had a mental illness,  he should not have been allowed to have a gun. But  you need  a competent police force to enforce those rules / laws 

sometimes mental illness is very difficult to define and symtoms are not always blatantly obvious...  People can hide severe depression up to the point where are ready to end it all.  Everybody has different breaking points.. some children will end it all when they cant stand being bullied or when their parents are way to strict.  I met Robin Williams before there was absolutely no way I would have guessed he was hurting so badly that he felt he just needed to end it all!

"...blew his brains out..."

Where did this "journalist" get his training?  Philistine Univ.?  Back-Alley Writer's College of Crass?  Would he appreciate a news account written like this if it had been his own father?  

The usual standards of journalism of this source are at absolute zero.  And that's way below Fahrenheit/Celsius zero. 

Edited by Fookhaht

5 hours ago, samsensam said:

the man clearly had issues. mental illness is an illness and should be treated as such.

Mental illness, or not, he made the conscious  decision to put a live round in a gun, then he made the conscious  decision to pull the trigger, to me, that is still stupid, there are, even in thailand, many other avenues available.

Mental illness, or not, he made the conscious  decision to put a live round in a gun, then he made the conscious  decision to pull the trigger, to me, that is still stupid, there are, even in thailand, many other avenues available. If he intended to commit suicide, he would have left ALL rounds chambered. He chose the wrong way to seek attention.

Edited by Rorri