Certifying Docs Oz Embassy

This was sent to me by a member who recently went through the process and due to the number of questions regarding this, I thought I would post it here. This is an edited version of the message I received.

Get the Thai doccument translated into English.

The translation agency must put their agencys stamp on the translation.

Take the Original translation to the Embassy along with the original doccument.

The embassy/ case officer sees the original translation stamped by the translation agency and then the embassy compares the doccument that was translated to the original and then stamps the doccument as certified.

Thats is all that needs to be done, We did not need to go to the thai ministry of foreign affairs to get the translation certified. Going there is just a waste of time and money because you just simply take the original doccument and original translation to the embassy for them to certify. But the translation must have the translation agencys stamp, thats all.

Hopefully this info will help others.

Thanks to the member for this info and I hope it assists others

Edited by gburns57au

This was sent to me by a member who recently went through the process and due to the number of questions regarding this, I thought I would post it here. This is an edited version of the message I received.

Get the Thai doccument translated into English.

The translation agency must put their agencys stamp on the translation.

Take the Original translation to the Embassy along with the original doccument.

The embassy/ case officer sees the original translation stamped by the translation agency and then the embassy compares the doccument that was translated to the original and then stamps the doccument as certified.

Thats is all that needs to be done, We did not need to go to the thai ministry of foreign affairs to get the translation certified. Going there is just a waste of time and money because you just simply take the original doccument and original translation to the embassy for them to certify. But the translation must have the translation agencys stamp, thats all.

Hopefully this info will help others.

Thanks to the member for this info and I hope it assists others

can you clarify what this was in response to Burnsie :o

It was sent to me by a person who wishes to remain anonymous, This person has just been through the process and wanted to pass the info onto the rest of the Aussies here, especially as there have a number of comments in regard to certifying copies in recent posts.

While I cant confirm this procedure, I have no reason to disbelieve the person who sent it to me.

It was sent to me by a person who wishes to remain anonymous, This person has just been through the process and wanted to pass the info onto the rest of the Aussies here, especially as there have a number of comments in regard to certifying copies in recent posts.

While I cant confirm this procedure, I have no reason to disbelieve the person who sent it to me.

Fair enough, was just wondering what process the poster was referring to

Ok, if you are taking already certified documents to the embassy, then yes all they have to do is sight the original and the copy.

But if you need a document cerified at the Oz embassy, then it costs you bucks, or at least did back then, could have changed again.

I actually took a pile of documents back home to Oz last time and got 5 copies of each certified at the police station just in case.

After further consultation I can add further...

The application was lodged at the Embassy....English copied documents presented with the originals were also certified. It may be that this is part of a paid application service, perhaps if you turned up at the Embassy with a heap of documents to be certified and no aplication then costs could apply.

The original source of this info meant this to show that it is not necessary to go to outside agencies for document certification.

Hope that answers any other questions.

I'm assuming that this advice relates to a spouse visa or similar application.

Referring to the Partner Migration book, it states:

Certified copies.

Do not supply original documents with your application. If we require an original document at any stage, we will ask for it.

You should provide 'certified copies' of original documents. 'Certified copies' means copies authorised, or stamped as being true copies of originals, by a person or agency recognised by the law of the person's home country.............

It then goes on to state who in Australia can certify copies, most of whom offer a free service.

The Partner Migration book states this about translations:

Documents in languages other than English must be accompanied by an English translation. If you are applying in Australia, the translator must be accredited by the National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters (NAATI). If you are applying outside Australia, please contact the nearest Australian mission for information about how to get your documents translated.

From this information, and from my own experience of providing documents written in Thai, I took the Thai papers to a translating service in Pattaya. (in a travel agency.) They translated and stamped them with their official stamp. The embassy accepted these without question.

Although we had the original Thai documents in our possession, the case officer did not ask to see them.

Yes it does refer to spouse visas and similar where certified copies are required.

This is for certified copies made in Thailand and not in Oz...that is a different matter.

It would appear from the info received that the originals were not asked for but were looked at and then a certified stamp was applied to the copies. It could be that they may have been accepted without the originals but as the originals were provided (and I must add, were returned to the applicant and were not part of the application) They did check them against the copies.

As we know the rules and systems changes constantly and what was once accepted may not be the rule today. I have shared this info as it is merely a couple of weeks old.

:o

I'm assuming that this advice relates to a spouse visa or similar application.

Referring to the Partner Migration book, it states:

Certified copies.

Do not supply original documents with your application. If we require an original document at any stage, we will ask for it.

You should provide 'certified copies' of original documents. 'Certified copies' means copies authorised, or stamped as being true copies of originals, by a person or agency recognised by the law of the person's home country.............

It then goes on to state who in Australia can certify copies, most of whom offer a free service.

The Partner Migration book states this about translations:

Documents in languages other than English must be accompanied by an English translation. If you are applying in Australia, the translator must be accredited by the National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters (NAATI). If you are applying outside Australia, please contact the nearest Australian mission for information about how to get your documents translated.

From this information, and from my own experience of providing documents written in Thai, I took the Thai papers to a translating service in Pattaya. (in a travel agency.) They translated and stamped them with their official stamp. The embassy accepted these without question.

Although we had the original Thai documents in our possession, the case officer did not ask to see them.

In support of the information Graham has given regarding original documents, the Australian Embassy, Bangkok website states the following:

You may be asked to provide further documents or information relating to your particular circumstances after your application has been lodged. The list of supporting documentation provided is not exhaustive. You may also include additional documents if they are relevant to your application. You should provide original documents and a set of clear copies. All originals will be returned to you after the copies have been certified. You should also provide an English translation of any document in another language.

I have highlighted and underlined the pertinent part.

This, I believe, only relates to "additional (and uncertified) documents" that have been called for after the lodgement of the application.

If uncertified documents are provided with the application, the message I get from the passage above is that the embassy will certify them, keep the copies and return the originals.

Edited by Mighty Mouse

In support of the information Graham has given regarding original documents, the Australian Embassy, Bangkok website states the following:

You may be asked to provide further documents or information relating to your particular circumstances after your application has been lodged. The list of supporting documentation provided is not exhaustive. You may also include additional documents if they are relevant to your application. You should provide original documents and a set of clear copies. All originals will be returned to you after the copies have been certified. You should also provide an English translation of any document in another language.

I have highlighted and underlined the pertinent part.

This, I believe, only relates to "additional (and uncertified) documents" that have been called for after the lodgement of the application.

If uncertified documents are provided with the application, the message I get from the passage above is that the embassy will certify them, keep the copies and return the originals.

:D:D:o

The translations are stamped by the translation agency and then by the embassy for the following two reasons. One is to proove the thai to english translation is correct and then two is to proove that the translation is of the original doccument.

1- After the translation agency translates the doccuemnt, they stamp the doccument with their agencys stamp. This is to proove that the English translation is a true/ correct translation of the Thai doccument that it is attached to. As long as the translation agency you used is "certified" their stamp will be recognised by the embassy as being a true/ correct translation. Usually the translation will be stapled to a copy of the thai doccument. The you are ready for step 2.

2- You take the Original translation that has been stamped by the translation agency to the Embassy to submit in your visa application. Also take the Original doccument of the translation. The staff at the embassy, usually your case officer, will first look at the translation and check that it has the translation agencys stamp on it. Then they will look at the original doccument and compare it to the copy of the Thai doccument that has been translated (this is so that they can see that the english transllation is of the original doccument, not a different doccument) Once they compare the english translation, the copy of the thai doccument that was translated and the original thai doccument, they will then stamp the translation as being certified.

That is the process you need to follow when submiting translations in your visa application.

Dont ask me how the embassy knows what translation agencys are certified or not, I have no idea. Also I cant comment on what you need to do if you get a doccument translated from an agency that isnt certified......................but I have a feeling that this is when you need to take the trip to the thai ministry of foriegn affairs to get their stamp on the doccument. So just make sure you use a certified translation agency when getting doccuments translated, but I dont know how you will be able to tell if the agency is certified or not, just have a look around inside their office for some certification certificate or ask them.

Edited by aussiestyle1983

Is there a thread dealing with the requirements for an Australian citizen wanting to take a Thai National fiancee to Australia for a short visit, or can that be answered on this thread?

Or is there no such visa and it just comes under the category of a Visitors Visa?

Any info and or difficulties on obtaining such would be appreciated.

Is there a thread dealing with the requirements for an Australian citizen wanting to take a Thai National fiancee to Australia for a short visit, or can that be answered on this thread?

Or is there no such visa and it just comes under the category of a Visitors Visa?

Any info and or difficulties on obtaining such would be appreciated.

There have been many threads concerning this...try reading back through a few pages on the visa and migration forum

Go to the immigration website and read the relevent section...

The answer is that you would need for her to apply for a tourist visa. If you have specific questions after that we can try and assist

I made frequent visits to the Australian Embassy in Bangkok during early 2004 and the Consular Section (which deals with Passports, and all other Australian Citizen issues) was charging 500 baht per certification.

When I wandered over to the Immigration Section they accepted a few documents that I had not copied. They just took them away and photocopied them behind the glass window.

The majority of my documents were certified; I gathered ALL the documents I had with me and sent them to my parents in Australia. They had the documents certified and posted them back within a week. They also included a Stat Dec stating they had met my partner and were supportive, etc. This is a useful document to posses.