May ready for tough talks over Brexit

rooster59

Ireland uniting followed by Great Britain joining the US as 2-3-4 separate federal states would solve everything in the long run. We might even learn 'em how to play the game with a funny shaped ball! 

Long after the bloke with a shredded wheat on his head has been impeached of course :smile:

• Like 1

21 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

A bit like govt. ministers thinking that Osborne's promised emergency budget in the event of a brexit vote would frighten people into voting remain...   I suspect this back-fired badly and resulted in quite a few voters realising that the entire remain campaign was based on fear tactics?

Perhaps they'd have been better off concentrating on the positives of remaining within the EU?  Although thinking about it, it would have been political suicide to point out that the EU has promoted more policies to help the 'ordinary' worker than UK governments!

Totally agree, one of the best posts on the thread, but just because DC and his cronies screwed up big time does not mean that leaving the EU is the right thing to do.

When the government starts amending employment legislation back in favour of the employer everyone will start to realise that they threw away the only entity that could keep the UK government in check. For many reasons the feel good factor of independence could be very short lived.

Just now, sandyf said:

Totally agree, one of the best posts on the thread, but just because DC and his cronies screwed up big time does not mean that leaving the EU is the right thing to do.

When the government starts amending employment legislation back in favour of the employer everyone will start to realise that they threw away the only entity that could keep the UK government in check. For many reasons the feel good factor of independence could be very short lived.

I also agree my job benefited under what was known as TUPE when it was transferred into the private sector.  Now I suspect the hard right of the Tory Party will be delighted that they can no longer be held in check.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Flustered said:

Anyone watching Question Time last night will have seen Sir Keir Starmer, Nick Clegg and Alex Salmond firmly put in their place and shown to be some of the big movers behind Project Fear.

Melanie Phillips destroyed Nick Clegg's stance and made him look like a member of the European negotiating committee instead of being a British citizen. He admits to being a European first. One reason why the Lib Dems are a party in decline. The UK wants a government that puts the UK first.

None of the three could or would say why they were not looking out for the UK citizens living in the EU but only that it would be a good act of faith to guarantee the EU citizens in the UK full rights. In other words...Screw the Brits.

The only bit of light hearted entertainment apart from these three was the statement by the BBC that the audience represented 55% exit supporters and 45% remain supporters. The audience was almost totally remain supporters going by the noise they made or is it that exit supporters are more cultured and do not scream and shout so much?

You must have watched a different version of the programme.

In the one I saw Nick Clegg brought up an interesting quote. Apparently David Davis is reported as having said " If a democracy cannot change its mind then it ceases to be a democracy"

5 minutes ago, sandyf said:

In the one I saw Nick Clegg brought up an interesting quote. Apparently David Davis is reported as having said " If a democracy cannot change its mind then it ceases to be a democracy"

Yep I have quoted that several times on this forum but as usual it goes over the heads of some people. However in fairness David Davis has also now changed his mind "In recent months, however, Mr Davis has suggested there should be no opportunity for Britain to change its mind on whether to leave the EU." such consistency.

7 minutes ago, pitrevie said:

I also agree my job benefited under what was known as TUPE when it was transferred into the private sector.  Now I suspect the hard right of the Tory Party will be delighted that they can no longer be held in check.

It is not only employment. Although the the Supreme Court ruled against the government in the 'Bedroom Tax' case one wonders if the possibility of the case going to the ECJ helped in the decision.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, sandyf said:

You are responding to a Brexiteer who concurrently reads the Daily Express and thinks that Brexiteers are more cultured. So good luck on your endeavours. :omfg:

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

You are responding to a Brexiteer who concurrently reads the Daily Express and thinks that Brexiteers are more cultured. So good luck on your endeavours. :omfg:

Seemingly suggesting he has eyes like Marty Feldman in order to read something else at the same time...?

Remainders might like this as discussed on the boards yesterday.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-39218108

Edited by evadgib

23 minutes ago, Grouse said:

1.4 million British people live abroad in the EU.

Actually in the EU!

1.4 million British people live abroad in the EU

Yes and more people from the EU live in the UK.

More than 14,500 UK students took part in the European Union’s Erasmus student exchange scheme in 2012-13

More EU students come to the UK and get student loans to pay for them with many never repaying them, so hardly something to celebrate.

3M British jobs linked to exports to EU

Figures from the early 2000s and they say they are dependent on the UK being an EU member.

Stability for 476,000 British farmers and farm employees

There are less farms now since the EU and the word 'stability' is very questionable.

I could go through over half of these (can't be bothered) and say that through the 40 years progression , many of these so called facts would have happened due to time. This is can hardly be contributed exclusively to the EU. Who is the numpty!

Now some will disagree with many of these points

Why is that? Is it because they are ambiguous in nature and factually incorrect.

Edited by Laughing Gravy
  • Like 2

55 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Actually in the EU!

Yes and more people from the EU live in the UK.

More EU students come to the UK and get student loans to pay for them with many never repaying them, so hardly something to celebrate.

Figures from the early 2000s and they say they are dependent on the UK being an EU member.

There are less farms now since the EU and the word 'stability' is very questionable.

I could go through over half of these (can't be bothered) and say that through the 40 years progression , many of these so called facts would have happened due to time. This is can hardly be contributed exclusively to the EU. Who is the numpty!

Why is that? Is it because they are ambiguous in nature and factually incorrect.

Well I appreciate the response

They are my opinions and whereas I don't guarantee precision, they are roughly correct

Yes some things could have happened anyway, who knows?

Shall I post the next batch or is it all too boring now?

On Tuesday, March 28, 2017 at 8:13 AM, dick dasterdly said:

Which brings us back nicely to the debating trick of insisting that those who voted brexit were voting against "little brown people'/Osborne was only forecasting (with his promised punishment budget) the result of a brexit win, rather than ratcheting up "Project Fear"/those who voted brexit were "numpties".

I can't be the only one who is sick and tired of these "debating tricks"!

And when you take into account the fact that most of us in these discussions have family who are "little brown people" (his words), this particular debating tactic is more than offensive on a general level: it's hugely offensive on a personal level. Makes one wonder what, if any, connection he has with Thailand.

37 minutes ago, Khun Han said:

And when you take into account the fact that most of us in these discussions have family who are "little brown people" (his words), this particular debating tactic is more than offensive on a general level: it's hugely offensive on a personal level. Makes one wonder what, if any, connection he has with Thailand.

Do spare me your fake outrage, you and DD can not supply me with anything that suggests it was meant in the way you have decided to take it. This was the main thrust of the poster that Farage published (which even made Gove shudder but apparently which neither you nor DD have anything to say about)and contrary to what DD tries to say about immigration from the poorer parts of Eastern Europe it showed a long line of exclusively brown people and in fact was a picture of refugees outside the borders of the EU not within. It had nothing to do with the free movement of labour it was a pure scare tactic based on race so please spare me your fake offence.

It was a main theme of Johnson and Gove when they knew there was never any chance of Turkey being admitted to the EU telling us that over 300,000 immigrants a year was impossible to integrate and he was another who referred to to Turks overwhelming Europe, the Sunday Express actually claimed that 12 million Turks were intending to come to Europe. Note again nothing to do with the free movement of Labour within the EU borders but people who had darker skins. 

To listen to Brexiters now trying to claim the moral high ground when one of the three principal themes of their campaign was controlling immigration (since abandoned) and indeed it was the principal theme of the UKIP campaign who now want to reconstruct themselves as an anti immigration party. 

Find me any statement that I have posted suggesting all Brexiters are racists. But what I will say and what the journalist Wil Self said was not all Brexiters are racist but all racists were Brexiters. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SheungWan said:

Lord Kerr re Article 50: "It is not irrevocable. You can change your mind while the process is going on'.

Isn't it about time you accepted it and 'manned up'. Criticise later if need to but if you are British, act like a patriot regardless, if you agree with the referendum or not.

• Like 1

Glad the exit has been triggered, now we can do away with Project Fear and get down to realistic negotiations.

Interesting to see that the DZ bank predict a hard Brexit attitude from the EU will put Germany into recession and cost it £34 Billion by the end of this year alone.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/673068/Germany-Brexit-EU-referendum-banks-economy-recession

As most of us have stated, the exit will be negotiated with a give and take and all of the negative rhetoric from Brussels being put aside and Industry and Finance telling their politicians to get real and agree an amicable arrangement.

I know it is not what the Bremoaners want, but rather than a disaster purely to say they were right,  it will be a compromise.

3 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

I have reported this unacceptable slur to the moderators.

Your welcome. It's about time I took another holiday. However I am surprised that you've not taken an holiday, as on many occasions you have gone much further.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SheungWan said:

Lord Kerr re Article 50: "It is not irrevocable. You can change your mind while the process is going on'.

26 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Isn't it about time you accepted it and 'manned up'. Criticise later if need to but if you are British, act like a patriot regardless, if you agree with the referendum or not.

I wondered who would bite and not be bothered to do a little actual research. Lord Kerr of Kinlochard is the author of Article 50. Lord Kerr had a long career in the British Foreign Office and jobs included British Ambassador to Washington and the EU. He drew up the clause as part of the responsibility as secretary-general of the European Convention. Still active as a member of the House Of Lords, another institution labelled with the Supreme Court and High Court as 'Enemies of the People' by certain Brexiteers.

• Like 1

On 28/03/2017 at 9:26 AM, AlexRich said:

It's all about personal attacks and no research contributions?

... if posters are highlighting articles from the Guardian (and others) ... on points like Davis, Fox and Johnson not wanting a hard line on immigration as they do not want to harm the economy ... that does not represent a 'contribution' to the debate? 

And when you refer to people who would prefer to remain as 'losers' are you not also guilty of 'personal attacks'?

... back to your fictional moral high ground!

Still waiting to hear from you as to which FM I called a looser

18 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

I have reported this unacceptable slur to the moderators.

Lighten up and stop flaming people.

It's a forum and if you take a particular stance, someone will always take an oposit view.

It may help your cause if you posted a contribution to the thread rather than make oblique remarks or try to bait FMs.

You occasionally make a good point and then ruin it by trying to adopt a superior attitude that makes you look offensive..

• Like 2

So it starts, and the EU response is hardly predictable.

The 'Security Co-Operation' inclusion appears to have ruffled a few feathers with the EU top table, and Antonio and Guy's press conference clearly showed their discontent on the issue.

No10's gentle reminder and a tactical, wise and strategic move.

FAO: EU, this your wake up call...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On 28-3-2017 at 4:39 PM, Flustered said:

I think that everyone has to admit that there were some good parts of the EU and some very bad parts. I don't think that any two people will have the same opinion about how the EU should be run.

For me it was always about a common market. I have no problem with living and working in each others countries as long as the benefits issue would be resolved. I believe that if you are looking for work an can support yourself, you should be allowed to travel freely. Same for living. If you can support yourself and not be a burden on the country you choose to live in, then you should be free to live there. I do not agree with the political integration that Frau Merkel and her ilk are after.

I object to anyone moving to any country simply because the benefits are better than their own. Once we are out of the EU, the benefit traveller will disappear.

Also I think that a case could be made for freedom of movement by simply denying benefits to anyone travelling to the UK to look for work and if found, a long period of continuous employment required before they are eligible. This would cut down the number considerably.

No matter what we think, we are coming out and whatever the negotiating committee agrees with the EU will be what happens (unless some brain dead person wants to challenge it in the courts). For good or for bad, this is the situation.

So you support the current freedom of movement system? Afterall EU/EEA nationals and their non-EU/EEA direct family members cannot simply move to a country and claim benefits. They need to be self sufficient, need to show a good reason to relocate (if staying over 3 months) such as work or study or beeing a job seeker. One cannot become an unreasonable burden to the state, one be declined free money (though no EU law stops a member state from handing out cash if they felt like doing so but then you'd should blame the national parliament such as perhaps Westminster) etc.   Only after extended stay (think 5+ years) do rights become more solid, and rightfully so I'd think if one has been paying taxes, pensions and such things.

I think 7by7 had several extensive posts on thus subject way back into this thread. But some example to sites which (sadly with little results it seems? Seeing there are still people who think the EU makes countries like the UK and NL hand out 'free money' to every person who unpacks their bags on their soil....). 

https://fullfact.org/immigration/migration-and-welfare-benefits/

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/jun/14/uk-can-refuse-benefits-to-unemployed-eu-migrants-judges-rule

http://eulawanalysis.blogspot.nl/2015/09/eu-citizens-access-to-benefits-cjeu.html