May ready for tough talks over Brexit

rooster59

21 hours ago, aright said:

But iyo you can penalise popular democracy (for that read the country) and the millions of people who voted to leave because you didn't like the result.

What I think of the result is totally immaterial and as for 'popular democracy', nothing more than a brexiteer myth. There has only ever been three national referendums and only one with a contentious result. One swallow does not a summer make.

At the end of the day the only thing that matters is what is beneficial to the UK population as a whole and if David Cameron had put into essential services before the referendum what Teresa May has wasted on the brexit fiasco, there wouldn't be this seven hundred and odd pages of divisive comments.

The cost of trying to circumvent parliamentary democracy would have put a fairly big grin on the faces of many a doctor and nurse.

When TM said 'brexit means brexit' , she failed to tell the population exactly what that was going to cost them.

The elephant in the room.

The Irish Prime Minister has set Theresa May a one-month deadline to explain how she will avoid a damaging hard border with Northern Ireland, or the EU will block Brexit trade talks.

Leo Varadkar dismissed Ms May’s claim that negotiations on the future land border are “almost there” as “wishful thinking”, at a breakfast meeting.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-irish-prime-minister-leo-varadkar-ireland-border-clarity-theresa-may-trade-talks-block-a8060046.html

3 hours ago, aright said:

Much as I admire Merkel, I think the way their coalition system operates is far superior to our own as it forces consensus between different parties representing different view points. I feel quite disenfranchised in the UK.

4 minutes ago, Grouse said:

Much as I admire Merkel, I think the way their coalition system operates is far superior to our own as it forces consensus between different parties representing different view points. I feel quite disenfranchised in the UK.

It might force another election too!

15 hours ago, SheungWan said:

Fortunately we have your contribution as an alternative shining beacon of light.

15 hours ago, SheungWan said:
18 hours ago, talahtnut said:

The English working class has known nothing else for millennia.

UK news media is full of propaganda, lies, and trivia.

Fortunately we have your contribution as an alternative shining beacon of light.

A truly inspiring comment..radiating like a Toc H lamp.

4 hours ago, talahtnut said:

If the eu pays back what the owe us..Champagne all round.

The EU bill is real, and a big sum of money that no one mentioned at the referendum will be paid, wiping out any so-called "savings for the NHS" for 5 or 6 years  ... "what they owe us" is a fiction, no money will ever be received. 

4 hours ago, sandyf said:

From previous posts.

"lose the chip on your shoulder <deleted>!"
"<deleted>, get a grip........... I am surprised to find someone as old as you who is so undemocratic."

You don't see that as personal?, and the fact that I do not believe that national referendums have any real validity in UK politics does not make me undemocratic. I subscribe to the parliamentary democracy that exists in the UK.

When Cameron (on behalf of parliament) said that the referendum result would be binding, I believed him.

Not personal, I believe you have a chip...

The deleted part was simply an exclamation, not insult, but the editor deletes f - f - s

• Like 2

15 hours ago, AlexRich said:

The EU bill is real, and a big sum of money that no one mentioned at the referendum will be paid, wiping out any so-called "savings for the NHS" for 5 or 6 years  ... "what they owe us" is a fiction, no money will ever be received. 

Can I ask you why we owe the EU a big bill.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, nauseus said:

Ah, someone in the know, at last!

So how much does the UK actually owe and how is that sum calculated?

We'd all love to know. Thanks in advance.

I'd bet that the UK will pay north of £40bn, possibly more. The sum will be made up of a whole series of contracts and commitments, with discounts applied ... a political settlement if you like. Now you can argue about the fairness or otherwise all day for the rest of your life, but that is the reality of the situation.

This will wipe out any of the so-called "savings" for many years, and in return we'll get less than we have currently. 

2 minutes ago, talahtnut said:

Can I ask you why we owe the EU a big bill.

There are some genuine commitments that the UK has signed up to ... employee pension rights, building leases, programme funding, for example. But no one mentioned any of that during the referendum? There is also the "goodwill" element, that we'll pay in order to get agreement and cooperation on a trading relationship going forward. Ultimately it will be a "political" agreement ... and the Tory's will pay as much as they think they can get away with without upsetting the populace. But that will be a very big sum of money ... and will wipe out any so-called savings for years.

5 minutes ago, AlexRich said:

I'd bet that the UK will pay north of £40bn, possibly more. The sum will be made up of a whole series of contracts and commitments, with discounts applied ... a political settlement if you like. Now you can argue about the fairness or otherwise all day for the rest of your life, but that is the reality of the situation.

This will wipe out any of the so-called "savings" for many years, and in return we'll get less than we have currently. 

Ah well. Silly of me to ask.

15 hours ago, Srikcir said:

Covered in the 700+ pages of previous posts.

But a quick google search gives this background:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-07-14/brexit-s-costs-and-whether-britain-will-pay-up-quicktake-q-a

Thank you for the link, which concluded with:..... The Times newspaper reported on March 4 that government lawyers had found no legal obligation for the U.K. to pay up. A study by the House of Lords also questioned whether there was a legal requirement to pay and calculated the bill could be as low as 15 billion euros. May has said "money paid in the past" into joint EU projects and the European Investment Bank should be taken into account. When all is said and calculated, Johnson said May 13, Brussels could end up owing Britain money.

Earlier it was mentioned by Juncker that a huge bill would put off other members copying Brexit.  

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, talahtnut said:

Thank you for the link, which concluded with:..... The Times newspaper reported on March 4 that government lawyers had found no legal obligation for the U.K. to pay up. A study by the House of Lords also questioned whether there was a legal requirement to pay and calculated the bill could be as low as 15 billion euros. May has said "money paid in the past" into joint EU projects and the European Investment Bank should be taken into account. When all is said and calculated, Johnson said May 13, Brussels could end up owing Britain money.

Earlier it was mentioned by Juncker that a huge bill would put off other members copying Brexit. 

Would that be the same Johnson still peddling the 350 million nonsense. For sure you should go with his calculations.