May ready for tough talks over Brexit

rooster59

22 minutes ago, bert bloggs said:

Anyone who thinks Britain would be better under a communist govt run by Corbyn is delusional ,the Labour party is no longer the party of the working man , that party died years ago .

As far as this thread is concerned, the current risk is whether the Hard Brexiteers are prepared to throw Theresa May under the bus and let in Corbyn. Apparently Johnson is messing around again.

Edited by SheungWan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, simoh1490 said:

It isn't that increased taxes will or will not have an impact on growth, it's a case that higher taxes will be mandatory in order to pay the interest on increased government borrowings. And since that increased borrowing is to be spent on social programs rather than business growth, they will in turn drive business and wealth out of the country - what else have we got we can sell, is there anything!

How about arms? How much better off would the country be if governments had not abused the defence budget, failed military projects and a desire to be a global war monger pushed investment in other industries to one side.

1 hour ago, ilostmypassword said:

Higher taxes will be mandatory to pay for increased government services. The guaranteed way for the UK to decline is to continue underfunding the educations and health of its citizens. Germans are taxed at a considerably higher rate than UK citizens and they seem to be doing just fine. As are the Scandinavians.

The UK is in decline?

51 minutes ago, sandyf said:

How about arms? How much better off would the country be if governments had not abused the defence budget, failed military projects and a desire to be a global war monger pushed investment in other industries to one side.

UK defence spending has decreased since 1997. In fact it has been on a long decline since 1959. Are you making things up as you go along? https://www.ukpublicspending.co.uk/past_spending

Edited by SheungWan

Not all our own people go without. Amber Rudd is doing well - so well, in fact, that she has several offshore bank accounts. The PM's husband makes a nice little packet helping others with managing their own tax avoiding offshore activities. Lord Ashcroft - well, I don't think we really need to rehash his situation as it is well known. Yet we still vote for these parasites and allow them to continue to feather their own nests, and we continue to blame the weakest in society for the mess we find ourselves in. Masochism or madness - either way, the British voter is getting what it asked for. 

Of course Corbyn and Abbott are starving in their 1 bed council flats. And having to go to the food banks

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, i claudius said:

Of course Corbyn and Abbott are starving in their 1 bed council flats. And having to go to the food banks

In Central London one bed ex-council flats go for over 300k and I won't upset you with what the equivalent size fetch in Hong Kong. More desirable than a house 'oop North.

1 hour ago, i claudius said:

I fail to see the relevance, but you provide a perfect example of the sort of thinking that Rudd, Ashcroft, May etc fully approve of - whenever someone highlights the shocking disparities and inequality that they are responsible for, you can count on some prole or other to cloud the issue with inane whataboutery. So, let's all complain about Abbot and Corbyn, let's all wave our pitchforks at another episode of Benefits Street - let's all continue to ignore, nay support, the wholesale transfer of wealth from the many to the few. 

• Thanks 2

I fail to see the relevance, but you provide a perfect example of the sort of thinking that Rudd, Ashcroft, May etc fully approve of - whenever someone highlights the shocking disparities and inequality that they are responsible for, you can count on some prole or other to cloud the issue with inane whataboutery. So, let's all complain about Abbot and Corbyn, let's all wave our pitchforks at another episode of Benefits Street - let's all continue to ignore, nay support, the wholesale transfer of wealth from the many to the few. 

And you my friend are a perfect example of the left wing. You shout anyone down who does not agree with you.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, RuamRudy said:

3 minutes ago, i claudius said:

And you my friend are a perfect example of the lefy wing. You shout anyone down who does not agree with you.

Synaesthesia much?

4 minutes ago, whatsupdoc said:

The latest news: David Davis has just admitted that the Government has not conducted a single economic impact assessment on the impact of Brexit to the UK economy.

So Brexit means not only going towards the cliff edge but also doing so in complete darkness.

I am not at all surprised at this news, but can you post the source of it please?

6 minutes ago, whatsupdoc said:

The latest news: David Davis has just admitted that the Government has not conducted a single economic impact assessment on the impact of Brexit to the UK economy.

So Brexit means not only going towards the cliff edge but also doing so in complete darkness.

l

Edited by ilostmypassword

7 minutes ago, whatsupdoc said:

Or it could mean that they have done such studies and the results were so negative that they disappeared.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, simoh1490 said:

Where are are the forums Brexit guys on this revelation, is it still OK that Brexit is a completely dark economic abyss?

I suppose the EU made economic assessments of Brexit, as did many other organizations on the continent....

1 minute ago, whatsupdoc said:

I suppose the EU made economic assessments of Brexit, as did many other organizations on the continent....

As far as I can see, the only people to make any attempt at modelling economic behaviour before and after Brexit, was Treasury and that was labelled project fear, despite the fact that much of what was predicted has come true subsequently, albeit some things later than thought.  But how can it be that those things are project fear and not project reality when there is nothing to compare them against, who is to say those things are scaremongering and not accurate modelling and prediction based on fact. The Brexit approach to these things seems to be, there's a car coming, better get out of the way.....if it hits me I'll believe you, until then, you're just trying to scare me!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

As far as I can see, the only people to make any attempt at modelling economic behaviour before and after Brexit, was Treasury and that was labelled project fear, despite the fact that much of what was predicted has come true subsequently, albeit some things later than thought.  But how can it be that those things are project fear and not project reality when there is nothing to compare them against, who is to say those things are scaremongering and not accurate modelling and prediction based on fact. The Brexit approach to these things seems to be, there's a car coming, better get out of the way.....if it hits me I'll believe you, until then, you're just trying to scare me!

I'm hoping our economists do not make any economic models because they are never right,  If those economists were any good, the UK wouldn't be printing tons of worthless notes.  Someone mentioned in an earlier post 'dark abyss'...the UK has been in a government engineered one for ages. Gypsy Rose Lee would be better.

5 minutes ago, talahtnut said:

I'm hoping our economists do not make any economic models because they are never right,  If those economists were any good, the UK wouldn't be printing tons of worthless notes.  Someone mentioned in an earlier post 'dark abyss'...the UK has been in a government engineered one for ages. Gypsy Rose Lee would be better.

Well thank you for giving us evidence of your economic acumen, Last I heard, those worthless notes could be exchanged for worthwhile things.

Just now, ilostmypassword said:

Well thank you for giving us evidence of your economic acumen, Last I heard, those worthless notes could be exchanged for worthwhile things.

Which is exactly why illicit drug prices are so high. Because even if they were legal, a criminal monopoly would impose whatever price they thought that they could get away with? History doesn't support your analysis.