May ready for tough talks over Brexit

rooster59

Couldn't make this up if you tried and there are those who still think the EU is best for us, well Junkers calls the EU Parliament "ridiculous, totally ridiculous".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-40492396

Then we have 

IREXIT? Ireland urged to follow UK out of EU as country will get bad deal, think tank says

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/823910/Brexit-news-latest-Ireland-UK-EU-exit-European-Union-talks

Just two of the EU stories this week.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Flustered said:

Then we have 

IREXIT? Ireland urged to follow UK out of EU as country will get bad deal, think tank says

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/823910/Brexit-news-latest-Ireland-UK-EU-exit-European-Union-talks

Just an oversight that you failed to note this from said think tank?

The report, added: “Whatever the outcome of the Brexit negotiations, there will be a price to pay. For Ireland, there is really no upside to Brexit."

7 minutes ago, ilostmypassword said:

Just an oversight that you failed to note this from said think tank?

The report, added: “Whatever the outcome of the Brexit negotiations, there will be a price to pay. For Ireland, there is really no upside to Brexit."

That emphasises the pint even more for Irexit....Thank you.

12 minutes ago, Flustered said:

Well, a Hobson's choice might on a purely rational basis improve the chances. But as Brexit shows, rationality is not necessarily the only or chief motivation of voters.  And it seems unlikely that the Irish are going to feel grateful to the UK for putting them into this mess. And polls have repeatedly show that Ireland is very pro-EU. In the range of 80 percent favorable.

Edited by ilostmypassword
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, ilostmypassword said:

Well, a Hobson's choice might on a purely rational basis improve the chances. But as Brexit shows, rationality is not necessarily the only or chief motivation of voters.  And it seems unlikely that the Irish are going to feel grateful to the UK for putting them into this mess. And polls have repeatedly show that Ireland is very pro-EU. In the range of 80 percent favorable.

Basic law of business, Never have just one customer as your main outlet.

Ireland chose to follow this route not only with their agriculture but their banks as well so leaving the EU would be a win win situation for them.

2 hours ago, Flustered said:

Couldn't make this up if you tried and there are those who still think the EU is best for us, well Junkers calls the EU Parliament "ridiculous, totally ridiculous".

Then we have 

Wouldn't surprise me if Juncker'd had a liquid breakfast.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Flustered said:

Basic law of business

Economy of Scale.

It's more efficient to have one large, consolidated customer that operates on a centralist philosophy than a smattering of small customers all operating independently.

6 hours ago, Flustered said:

4 hours ago, Khun Han said:

Wouldn't surprise me if Juncker'd had a liquid breakfast.

Clearly not the only one then.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Flustered said:

Ireland chose to follow this route not only with their agriculture but their banks as well so leaving the EU would be a win win situation for them.

Which exactly contradicts the report you cited as support for your position.

6 minutes ago, Khun Han said:

It's only more efficient until something changes. It's a common tactic of big companies/orgs to sucker smaller companies/orgs in with sweet deals, then tie them up in knots with changes of terms. A German-dominated federal Europe will tie the rest of the EU states up in knots. They've already had their successful little experiment with Greece and their successful larger experiment with the Euro. Once the EU is federalised, it's full steam ahead.

Germany agreed to the Euro as the price for reunification so it was hardly something they were pushing. However I see that your anti German rants haven't abated.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ilostmypassword said:

That must be the reason why the Irish never had the opportunity to vote on ratifying the new EU constitution in 2006. As required by article 29 of the Irish constitution. Probably had something to do with opinion polls at that time showing only 30% would have voted yes.This of course followed the French and Dutch referendums that also rejected the new EU constitution.

It would seem that the EU establishment have two options regarding nations not following the Bureacrats line. Either ignore it, or put pressure on,until they have.

They do of course have helping hands, or should that be helping voices,as is the case with the Remoaners.

Edited by nontabury
  • Like 2

That must be the reason why the Irish never had the opportunity to vote on ratifying the new EU constitution in 2006. As required by article 29 of the Irish constitution. Probably had something to do with opinion polls at that time showing only 30% would have voted yes.This of course followed the French and Dutch referendums that also rejected the new EU constitution.

It would seem that the EU establishment have two options regarding nations not following the Bureacrats line. Either ignore it, or put pressure on,until they have.

But the EU constitution was scrapped after been rejected and not adopted at all.

The later replacement was ratified by Ireland after article 29 was amended to allow the govt to do so, a referendum did ok the change with over 60% approving it.

8 hours ago, Flustered said:

Then we have 

There are times when UK Parliament is rather sparse too.

As regards the Express story: it is just that.

8 hours ago, Flustered said:

Groundless, baseless, and speculative. No evidence.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

Looking forward to that. Obviously, Putin who is trying to expand his own competing federation doesn't want such an economic and military bloc in his way.

There's no free lunches for a smaller economy. If less risk of economic disruption and greater opportunity for economic expansion results from such a relationship, a price is expected to be paid. So long as all the terms and conditions are transparent, one enters such a relationship with "eyes wide open."

With only 99 MEP's out of 751 MEP's (2014) a German dominance requires a coalition of inter-EU Members to dominate the EU Parliament - sounds like a very democratic institution based on majority representation.

You just don't understand. Let me explain it to you. Hitler, Hitler, and...Hitler.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Khun Han said:

Once the EU is federalised, it's full steam ahead.

18 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

Looking forward to that. Obviously, Putin who is trying to expand his own competing federation doesn't want such an economic and military bloc in his way.

All the Conspiracy Theorist Hard Brexiteers on this forum are pro-Putin, but they try not to advertise the fact too much. It just slips out now and again.

• Like 2

Just now, Srikcir said:

Still not very explicit for a conversation. So I'll expand my consternation.

How does Nazi Germany that subjugated European nations through the force of war compare to today's democratic Germany that relies on a peaceful political representation process through a multi-nation voluntary democratic institution to advance its national agenda? No comparison to Hitler's Germany.

Notice that since rehabilitation and European nations' voluntary membership into a common agenda for economic prosperity and military defense, neither you nor your family have fought and suffered in an European war.

I was attempting sarcasm. I've misconstrued similar attempts from others so I'm in no position to feel superior.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

Notice that since rehabilitation and European nations' voluntary membership into a common agenda for economic prosperity and military defense, neither you nor your family have fought and suffered in an European war.

What about a financial one. :whistling:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ilostmypassword said:

I guess I wasn't explicit enough..blitzkrieg, blitzkrieg, blitzkrieg, dunkirk, dunkirk, dunkirk. And my father who fought in the war.

dear oh dear, you've been watching too many John Wayne films. My Father was in the RN in WW2 and after visiting me for two months in Germany wanted to retire there.

1 minute ago, soalbundy said:

dear oh dear, you've been watching too many John Wayne films. My Father was in the RN in WW2 and after visiting me for two months in Germany wanted to retire there.

I know the feeling, best 3 years of my life living in Germany.