May ready for tough talks over Brexit

rooster59

40 minutes ago, Grouse said:

This is worth reading together with the back up info

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/you-should-read-japans-brexit-note-to-britain-its-brutal-a7833396.html

Operation educate....

Meanwhile, Japan is doing a deal with the EU.

I think Japan, Germany and Italy could form quite an axis!

Nah why bother better to listen to the only world leader that wanted the UK to leave the EU, Donald Trump the greatest President in the history of the world if not the universe.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, nauseus said:

EFTA (only) countries are not in the EU but they have to pay a contribution, accept free movement of people and partial ECJ law. 

It's up to the EU if they want to allow the UK a "special relationship" or any access to their single market or customs union.

If you leave the EU you leave the single market. How many times does this have to go through the washer?

18 hours ago, sandyf said:

A decision to leave the EU was taken, there was no vote to leave the single market. Despite what you may think, one does not mean the other, just ask the EFTA countries.

As for stabbing in the back, it was the English that did that to my fellow countrymen, not me.

Now,

You can be an EFTA member without being in the single market and without free movement.

EFTA members as such do not have to pay contributions to EU.

The single market access is something that comes with being party to EEA

(goes for both EFTA and EU members, me thinks - cannot be an EU member without being party to EEA).

Single marketeers pay.

37 minutes ago, melvinmelvin said:

Now,

You can be an EFTA member without being in the single market and without free movement.

EFTA members as such do not have to pay contributions to EU.

The single market access is something that comes with being party to EEA

(goes for both EFTA and EU members, me thinks - cannot be an EU member without being party to EEA).

Single marketeers pay.

EU-diagram.jpg

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, melvinmelvin said:

thanks, pretty good diagram that

what is being referred to as "common currency" in the heading? euro? pound? or ?

Common currency in the heading refers to the Euro (used by 19 countries within the Euro Zone (in green on the chart).

4 hours ago, nontabury said:

You have made many pathetic comments on this thread. But this beats the lot.

When did the English stab you in the back? presumably when you were living in Sheffield. Or was that when they were trying to chop the chip off your shoulder.

Superb post.

2 hours ago, nauseus said:

Common currency in the heading refers to the Euro (used by 19 countries within the Euro Zone (in green on the chart).

yes, thats what I thought, but I was wondering why UK focuses on that,

but reading again I see what they meaan.

So time is of the essence. But NOTHING is happening!

Where is our leadership? Our moral supremacy? Our business acumen?

Let's just stay with what we have until the laughter dies down and we can regroup under proper leadership!

I was going to quote Henry V

But this better!

"It is a curious thing, Harry, but perhaps those who are best suited to power are those who have never sought it. Those who, like you, have leadership thrust upon them, and take up the mantle because they must, and find to their own surprise that they wear it well."
Edited by Grouse

55 minutes ago, Grouse said:

So time is of the essence. But NOTHING is happening!

Where is our leadership? Our moral supremacy? Our business acumen?

Let's just stay with what we have until the laughter dies down and we can regroup under proper leadership!

I was going to quote Henry V

But this better!

"It is a curious thing, Harry, but perhaps those who are best suited to power are those who have never sought it. Those who, like you, have leadership thrust upon them, and take up the mantle because they must, and find to their own surprise that they wear it well."

Yes, a pity they never hold their hands up. Same in the States and several other countries.

Edited by nauseus
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, melvinmelvin said:

yes, thats what I thought, but I was wondering why UK focuses on that,

but reading again I see what they meaan.

Well the UK didn't. At least we still have our own pound sterling.

P.526 everybody. :clap2:

Edited by nauseus

15 minutes ago, Flustered said:

I am always amazed at the amount of news and information on Brexit that is not reported by the BBC or other new gatherers here in the UK. I have taken to watching Euro News and today they had an interview with Carlo Calenda, Minister of Economic Development for Italy.

He brought up a very good point when asked what would happen if the was no agreement at the end of the negotiations with the UK. He replied, "Worst case scenario for the EU is that the UK sign up with NAFTA or TPP who already have the agreements in place and all the UK would have to do is sign them. This would immediately give the UK access to a huge market equal in size to the EU without having to accept freedom of movement within the EU.

Why has no one mentioned this before or is it meant to be kept quiet?

Ssssshhhhhhh ?

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Flustered said:

I am always amazed at the amount of news and information on Brexit that is not reported by the BBC or other new gatherers here in the UK. I have taken to watching Euro News and today they had an interview with Carlo Calenda, Minister of Economic Development for Italy.

He brought up a very good point when asked what would happen if the was no agreement at the end of the negotiations with the UK. He replied, "Worst case scenario for the EU is that the UK sign up with NAFTA or TPP who already have the agreements in place and all the UK would have to do is sign them. This would immediately give the UK access to a huge market equal in size to the EU without having to accept freedom of movement within the EU.

UK media is "owned" and only publishes what it's owners want the public to hear  ;)  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Flustered said:

NAFTA and TPP.  Yeah right. Top of  Donald Trump's agenda. Some people seemingly just channel hopping in a desperate search to find something they can sign on for.

8 hours ago, nauseus said:

I'm sure that you enjoy that rotating sensation.

Mostly I just roll my eyes when I read some of the outlandish prattle pushed out by forum Hard Brexiteers.

Edited by SheungWan

39 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

Unlike of course the lunatic 'alternative' websites and the Daily Express and the Daily Mail.

Jonathan Harmsworth, 4th Viscount Rothermere, a great-grandson of the one of the co-founders, is the current chairman and controlling shareholder of the Daily Mail and General Trust, while day-to-day editorial decisions for the newspaper are usually made by a team around the editor, Paul Dacre.

Daily Mail - Wikipedia

===================================
Daily Express. The Daily Express is a daily national middle market tabloid newspaper in the United Kingdom. It is the flagship title of Express Newspapers, a subsidiary of Northern & Shell (which is wholly owned by Richard Desmond). It was first published as a broadsheet in 1900 by Sir Arthur Pearson.

7 hours ago, Flustered said:

Yeah good idea lets go with the Italian economics minister and not our own Finance Minister or UK business leaders or even the concerns expressed by Japanese business leaders. Seems to me an Italian economics minister is an ideal source if you want economic advice. 

9 hours ago, Flustered said:

Not clinching a deal by the end of the 2-year period does not mean that the UK will not have access to the EU market.

NAFTA? Sure, enjoy if you consider that UK products will do better in America than in continental Europe.

Another moderate Brexiter!

A viscount who offered money on Facebook for anyone to run over and kill anti-Brexit campaigner Gina Miller is facing jail after being convicted of sending menacing messages.

Miller was one among many people who campaigned for the Remain side who received death threats and hate mail.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, pitrevie said:

Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson has told MPs that the government had "no plan" for what to do in the event of no deal being agreed with the EU.
What a surprise.

Yet before the referendum the government, under David Cameron also had no plan if a Brexit wote was in favour.

What a surprise

So what?

The UK has a little less than 2 years to come up with a plan in the event of a no deal, and I am sure that the Brexit tean will deal with that on the way to a deal.

It is not as though the plan is needed first thing on Monday morning. If it was then I would agree with you wholeheartedly.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Yet before the referendum the government, under David Cameron also had no plan if a Brexit wote was in favour.

What a surprise

So what?

The UK has a little less than 2 years to come up with a plan in the event of a no deal, and I am sure that the Brexit tean will deal with that on the way to a deal.

It is not as though the plan is needed first thing on Monday morning. If it was then I would agree with you wholeheartedly.

The so what is that Cameron wasn't negotiating Brexit, this lot are. 

Apparently British Industry doesn't share your optimism neither do the Japanese who have huge investments in the UK. So I will go with the people actually at the sharp end rather than your complacent attitude.

Just one of many examples,

Britain’s car industry has called on the Government to accept that transitional deal to leave the EU is necessary to stop the automotive sector falling off a “cliff edge”.

But hell what do they know about it.