May ready for tough talks over Brexit

rooster59

On 8/3/2017 at 2:26 PM, jpinx said:

Crisis?  What crisis?  These so-called crisis have little effect on the average Joe in the street.  Having been through devaluations, decimalisation, Exchange rate controls, etc, etc, ad nauseum, it's probably fair to say that the effect on an average individual is insignificant when compared the effect of the "normal" day-to-day dealings everyone has.  Since there is no gold-standard anymore - carefully removed so that comparisons can never be made - how do we know what is "worth" more?  Apples and pears anyone? ;)

Sitting in the ranks of the Hard Brexiteers one will find the usual barmy army of gold bugs, conspiracy theorists and ultra-right-wing nuts rattling away.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, nauseus said:
4 hours ago, Grouse said:

The precision is required first, he's a liberal nutter who thinks Oprah Winfrey should run for office!

A complete numpty who will have bruised his thumb several times by judgment day!

Of course he wants Oprah to run for office: He's a drama queen, and Oprah is the queen of drama queenery. When you find yourself looking into Michael Moore's crystal ball, you know it's time to take a reality check.

We need to be on the  lookout for Brexit jihadis and isolate the few extremists in our midst who would do harm to the many. Are there any here ? Remainers take courage for we shall seize victory from the jaws of defeat. The moment draws near.....

Cable says those who want a hard Brexit are 'becoming desperate'.

'Rather than closing down dissent, they might like to explain how Britain can flourish if it is cut off from the world's largest single market,' he adds.

'For the Brexit martyrs, paradise beckons... No longer Project Fear but Project Near. After that it will be Project Here.'

And he questions polls which claim people are content to see living standards and jobs decline in the name of Brexit. 'I don't encounter people running around saying 'please make me poorer', or 'please sack me',' he says. 

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4764278/Lib-Dem-leader-Vince-Cable-blasts-hardliners.html

Edited by beautifulthailand99
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

We need to be on the  lookout for Brexit jihadis and isolate the few extremists in our midst who would do harm to the many. Are there any here ?

'Rather than closing down dissent, they might like to explain how Britain can flourish if it is cut off from the world's largest single market,' he adds.

'For the Brexit martyrs, paradise beckons... No longer Project Fear but Project Near. After that it will be Project Here.'

And he questions polls which claim people are content to see living standards and jobs decline in the name of Brexit. 'I don't encounter people running around saying 'please make me poorer', or 'please sack me',' he says. 

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4764278/Lib-Dem-leader-Vince-Cable-blasts-hardliners.html

Vince Cable: the man who approaches MPs from opposing parties to support his cause, rather than doing the right thing in getting his agenda heard by trying to improve his own party's dismal approval ratings. What a prick! He pretty-much sums up in a nutshell remain's underhand, dishonest campaign.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

We need to be on the  lookout for Brexit jihadis and isolate the few extremists in our midst who would do harm to the many. Are there any here ? Remainers take courage for we shall seize victory from the jaws of defeat. The moment draws near.....

Excellent article! And from the Mail!

He's correct of course. The Brexiters are now running scared. Even on here, they're becoming more shrill and more intolerant of opposing views.

Edited by Grouse
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Grouse said:

He's correct of course. The Brexiters are now running scared. Even on here, they're becoming more shrill and more intolerant of opposing views.

"Running scared" ? quoting Michael Moore would appear that remainers are becoming desperate. Does anyone listen to unstable Cable anymore? :cheesy:

10 hours ago, nauseus said:

The precision is required first, he's a liberal nutter who thinks Oprah Winfrey should run for office!

A complete numpty who will have bruised his thumb several times by judgment day!

Whats wrong with Winfrey?

Have been a range of similar proposals before;

Reagan (who made it), John Wayne, The Terminator, The King (Elvis), and I'd guess a few more

1 hour ago, melvinmelvin said:

Whats wrong with Winfrey?

Have been a range of similar proposals before;

Reagan (who made it), John Wayne, The Terminator, The King (Elvis), and I'd guess a few more

Similar proposals? As the Duke said: talk low, talk slow, and don't talk too much!

9 hours ago, Khun Han said:

Vince Cable: the man who approaches MPs from opposing parties to support his cause, rather than doing the right thing in getting his agenda heard by trying to improve his own party's dismal approval ratings. What a prick! He pretty-much sums up in a nutshell remain's underhand, dishonest campaign.

Try this for size

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/politics/vince-cable-warns-country-heading-13428966

Eminently sensible. 

Let's see what positive feedback we get from the Brexiters! :shock1:

6 hours ago, Grouse said:

The Mail are no slouches when it comes to shilling a position. Lord Dacre from his lofty tax exile promontory along with his Master of the Universe chums have seen which way the wind is blowing financially if we proceed on to the Brexiteers Stalingrad and are beggining the 'Great Retreat'. Expect more of the same and as for head-banging Brexiteers - this is the beggining of the 'Great Betrayal'. :smile:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

The Mail are no slouches when it comes to shilling a position. Lord Dacre from his lofty tax exile promontory along with his Master of the Universe chums have seen which way the wind is blowing financially if we proceed on to the Brexiteers Stalingrad and are beggining the 'Great Retreat'. Expect more of the same and as for head-banging Brexiteers - this is the beggining of the 'Great Betrayal'. :smile:

If Phil The Goth can be removed, your cause is a lost one.

1 hour ago, Grouse said:

is there a list of which agencies UK would like to leave? Or agencies they would like to continue in?

2 hours ago, Grouse said:

much more to come I would say,

I think that what we have seen in Europe over the past 3-4 years re migration / migrant crisis, call it what you like, is just a wee beginning of what will come in the next few years

http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/etias-brexit-schengen-area-british-passports-online-visa-a7879876.html

Well the Brexiters have been banging on about control of borders. It's just that we will be considered aliens by the EU. Isn't that just great! And for what???

In the meantime, what is being done to harden our borders? Er, nothing! Border Force my arse.

30 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Here he is once again on yesterdays BBC News online

What a freaking eejit.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-40842017

He is 74, has been an MP since 1997 (thus he will be entitled to a good pension from bein an MP). He is entitled to a state pension (unfrozen), possibly to a pension from Glasgow University as he was a lecturer there for 6 years, possibly another pension from Cable studied economics at Cambridge and Glasgow, then was an economic adviser to the Government of Kenya between 1966 and 1968 and to the Commonwealth Secretary-General in the 1970s and 1980s. From 1968 to 1974 he lectured in economics at Glasgow University. He served as Chief Economist for Shell from 1995 to 1997.

Writing in the Mail on Sunday, the Lib Dem leader accused the over-65s of being "self-declared martyrs" who claim leaving the EU is worth the cost.

"The martyrdom of the old comes cheap," he said, as fewer have jobs to lose and living standards are protected by the triple lock on pensions.

"For the Brexit martyrs, paradise beckons," he added.

I have no doubt that the Mail on Sunday paid him quite handsomely too.

He IS one of the older people without a mortgage and with more than one pension. He IS holding down a very well paid job that a younger person could do.

Then he has the gall to blame older people for Brexit.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vince_Cable#Expenses

To be fair, not an idiot - just someone only looking out for his own interests.

He doesn't know (or care) about the plight of poorer people - either old or young.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, dick dasterdly said:

He doesn't know (or care) about the plight of poorer people - either old or young.

The forum Brexiteers here are a regular bunch of self-appointed Mother Theresas. :sad:

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

In other words, a typical remoaner.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Here he is once again on yesterdays BBC News online

What a freaking eejit.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-40842017

He is 74, has been an MP since 1997 (thus he will be entitled to a good pension from bein an MP). He is entitled to a state pension (unfrozen), possibly to a pension from Glasgow University as he was a lecturer there for 6 years, possibly another pension from Cable studied economics at Cambridge and Glasgow, then was an economic adviser to the Government of Kenya between 1966 and 1968 and to the Commonwealth Secretary-General in the 1970s and 1980s. From 1968 to 1974 he lectured in economics at Glasgow University. He served as Chief Economist for Shell from 1995 to 1997.

Writing in the Mail on Sunday, the Lib Dem leader accused the over-65s of being "self-declared martyrs" who claim leaving the EU is worth the cost.

"The martyrdom of the old comes cheap," he said, as fewer have jobs to lose and living standards are protected by the triple lock on pensions.

"For the Brexit martyrs, paradise beckons," he added.

I have no doubt that the Mail on Sunday paid him quite handsomely too.

He IS one of the older people without a mortgage and with more than one pension. He IS holding down a very well paid job that a younger person could do.

Then he has the gall to blame older people for Brexit.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vince_Cable#Expenses

What on earth are you taking issue with?

The article was from The Mail on Sunday. I thought it was cogent and reasonable. As you know pro Brexit is corrolated with age and negatively corrolated with educational attainment

If you actually read the Wicki piece you would see the man is much further from being a "freeking eejit" than you are!

Finally:-

When overall MP allowances are ranked, Cable came in 568th for 2007–08 (out of 645 MPs). The Daily Telegraph also noted that he did not take a recent 2.33% salary rise.[23]

Maybe you could tell us which of his policies you disagree with?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Maybe I'm a bit slow but on what basis do you conclude that Cable doesn't know (or care) about the plight of poorer people - either old or young? I don't see that.

He particularly notes the downside of Brexit for the young.

Frankly, his politics are quite centrist and should appeal to most fence sitters - either old or young ?

Just now, vogie said:

Yeah, but he is too old, remember it's the old that has got us into this mess according to some remainers? Or doesn't old matter if you're a politician, only a pleb?

Statistics again! He's an outlier; so am I. I'm 63 but well educated and informed as is Cable

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/fame-fortune/vince-cable-my-earnings-peaked-at-150000-after-a-surprise-promot/

Well written piece in The Telegraph. A good man I reckon!