May ready for tough talks over Brexit

rooster59

31 minutes ago, Grouse said:

Maybe I'm a bit slow but on what basis do you conclude that Cable doesn't know (or care) about the plight of poorer people - either old or young? I don't see that.

He particularly notes the downside of Brexit for the young.

Frankly, his politics are quite centrist and should appeal to most fence sitters - either old or young ?

The earlier post below explains quite well some of the reasons why I believe "Cable doesn't know (or care) about the plight of poorer people - either old or young".

Edit - I'd also add that he's a politician, and altruistic politicians are a very rare species!

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

Here he is once again on yesterdays BBC News online

What a freaking eejit.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-40842017

He is 74, has been an MP since 1997 (thus he will be entitled to a good pension from bein an MP). He is entitled to a state pension (unfrozen), possibly to a pension from Glasgow University as he was a lecturer there for 6 years, possibly another pension from Cable studied economics at Cambridge and Glasgow, then was an economic adviser to the Government of Kenya between 1966 and 1968 and to the Commonwealth Secretary-General in the 1970s and 1980s. From 1968 to 1974 he lectured in economics at Glasgow University. He served as Chief Economist for Shell from 1995 to 1997.

Writing in the Mail on Sunday, the Lib Dem leader accused the over-65s of being "self-declared martyrs" who claim leaving the EU is worth the cost.

"The martyrdom of the old comes cheap," he said, as fewer have jobs to lose and living standards are protected by the triple lock on pensions.

"For the Brexit martyrs, paradise beckons," he added.

I have no doubt that the Mail on Sunday paid him quite handsomely too.

He IS one of the older people without a mortgage and with more than one pension. He IS holding down a very well paid job that a younger person could do.

Then he has the gall to blame older people for Brexit.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vince_Cable#Expenses

Edited by dick dasterdly
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, billd766 said:

He is also rich enough not to worry about his job as he has enough money and pensions to live very comfortably for the rest of his life, Brexit or no Brexit.

So how does that make him biased? Please explain

51 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

The earlier post below explains quite well some of the reasons why I believe "Cable doesn't know (or care) about the plight of poorer people - either old or young".

Edit - I'd also add that he's a politician, and altruistic politicians are a very rare species!

I agree that they are a rare species! Nevertheless I do think he is altruistic and indeed philanthropic ?

5 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

I didn't realise that so many of our forum Brexiteers were as poor as doormice and that living in abject poverty gave them such a wonderful sympathetic insight to the problems of the downtrodden masses.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, billd766 said:

He is also rich enough not to worry about his job as he has enough money and pensions to live very comfortably for the rest of his life, Brexit or no Brexit.

I assume you are still climbing up chimneys.

10 hours ago, nontabury said:

In other words, a typical remoaner.

The biggest moaners on here are the ardent Brexiters moaning about the so called 'remoaners' . We 'remoaners' are becoming increasingly happy about the realism and pragmatism entering the debate along I would think with the larger majority of the British people. Ultimately it's about winning the war not the battle. You better get used to it and stop brexmoaning !!!

4 hours ago, SheungWan said:

I didn't realise that so many of our forum Brexiteers were as poor as doormice and that living in abject poverty gave them such a wonderful sympathetic insight to the problems of the downtrodden masses.

That's the problem in their abject destitution they have incubated toxic world views that pivot around if only so and so had happened then they would have been succesfull etc.  Always somebody's elses fault why they inhabit the slow lane of life. Brexit was a once in a lifetime opportunity to stick it to the man and feel potent once again. Sad to say they will lose even this and go back to peddling half-truths and salting their bitter and twisted personalties on the Pattaya bar stool. Inger.....land .....

Edited by beautifulthailand99

35 minutes ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

That's the problem in their abject destitution they have incubated toxic world views that pivot around if only so and so had happened then they would have been succesfull etc.  Always somebody's elses fault why they inhabit the slow lane of life. Brexit was a once in a lifetime opportunity to stick it to the man and feel potent once again. Sad to say they will lose even this and go back to peddling half-truths and salting their bitter and twisted personalties on the Pattaya bar stool. Inger.....land .....

What a bitter and twisted, thoroughly vitriolic person you are.

2 hours ago, pegman said:

Fighting over the spoils. Paris and Frankfurt going at it over the E.U. Financial Industry. Someone be sure to turn the lights out in London once the move is complete.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/837953/Brexit-eu-uk-frankfurt-paris-london-jobs-emmanuel-macron-france-germany-finance-city

You keep posting hysterical nonsense about the finance industry leaving London. It isn't. The banks and finance companies are doing the bare minimum to enable them to operate in post-brexit Europe, and the article you linked confirms this (along with confirmation that a Dutch bank is moving some jobs to London).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, pegman said:

Fighting over the spoils. Paris and Frankfurt going at it over the E.U. Financial Industry. Someone be sure to turn the lights out in London once the move is complete.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/837953/Brexit-eu-uk-frankfurt-paris-london-jobs-emmanuel-macron-france-germany-finance-city

Amsterdam better (RBS)

You keep posting hysterical nonsense about the finance industry leaving London. It isn't. The banks and finance companies are doing the bare minimum to enable them to operate in post-brexit Europe, and the article you linked confirms this (along with confirmation that a Dutch bank is moving some jobs to London).

You are probably right but it will be a costly part of the negotiation. The EU has the upper hand on this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

2 minutes ago, Johnyo said:

You are probably right but it will be a costly part of the negotiation. The EU has the upper hand on this one.

I shouldn't take too much notice of Khun Han accusing you of posting hysterical nonsense, only a short while back he was claiming that Remainers had claimed the City of London was moving en masse to the EU. He conveniently omits to provide any proof for that which if asked for he dismisses as a "debating trick".

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Johnyo said:

A few weeks ago the Beurocrats in Brussels were talking a figure of £90+ billion, as a divorce settlement, now they're talking £50 b. On the UK side, the civil servants have mentioned a figure of £36 b, while the  Briexit politicians are talking £10 b. this being a goodwill gesture. The figure is just up from the £8.1 b, that the UK presently pays each year to the E.U.  So basically the politicians are offering to pay just over One extra year from 2019. Which is also the final year of the current E.U budget.

What figure do you think they will agree on, if they do finally conclude an agreement?

2 hours ago, nontabury said:

A few weeks ago the Beurocrats in Brussels were talking a figure of £90+ billion, as a divorce settlement, now they're talking £50 b. On the UK side, the civil servants have mentioned a figure of £36 b, while the  Briexit politicians are talking £10 b. this being a goodwill gesture. The figure is just up from the £8.1 b, that the UK presently pays each year to the E.U.  So basically the politicians are offering to pay just over One extra year from 2019. Which is also the final year of the current E.U budget.

What figure do you think they will agree on, if they do finally conclude an agreement?

You are the guys who want to leave, so pay up and shut up. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nontabury said:

They are not bothered about the UK, it seems their allegiance is with the EU, anything that hurts the UK is fine by them!

36 minutes ago, vogie said:

They are not bothered about the UK, it seems their allegiance is with the EU, anything that hurts the UK is fine by them!

To be fair, the EU will still have to pay very large pensions to those Ex-EU Buerocrats,who would struggle on their House of Lords  allowances and expenses.

image.jpeg

• Like 2

There is a huge divide in wealth between the North and South of England. Especially between London and the rest.  London being the richest area in Europe. Quite telling when you look at the actual brexit results in each area. 

Not sure who I would blame though......

Edited by goldenbrwn1

29 minutes ago, goldenbrwn1 said:

There is a huge divide in wealth between the North and South of England. Especially between London and the rest.  London being the richest area in Europe. Quite telling when you look at the actual brexit results in each area. 

Not sure who I would blame though......

loadsamoney.jpg

I have no idea on the settlement bill, I guess the amount is actually measurable. What is not measurable right now is how much the U.K will pay to have " free access to the single market", keep some degree of passporting rights for the city and the transitional deal they are desperate to achieve but I'm guessing the latter three will be far more substantial than any divorce bill as the U.K. can't afford to lose any of those.