May ready for tough talks over Brexit

rooster59

1 hour ago, SheungWan said:

UK inflation hits 2.9%. Thanks Brexit!

55 minutes ago, bartender100 said:

UK is now the second largest global power, claims think tank as it rejects the ‘doom and gloom’ around Brexit

• Henry Jackson Society think tank says UK is a 'leading global power nation'
  • Its Audit of Geopolitical Capacity puts the country before Germany and France
  • The report finds the US and UK command ‘astonishing lead’ in global influence 

The Henry Jackson Society rejects the ‘doom and gloom’ around Brexit and finds that the UK remains a ‘leading global power nation’.

Its report, an ‘Audit of Geopolitical Capacity’ puts the UK ahead of EU nations such as Germany and France.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4874780/UK-second-largest-global-power-says-think-tank.html

So, then, inflation isn't 2.9% ? :crazy:

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, aright said:

For gods sake don't make statements like this. We will now get chapter and verse on "it's true they make other machinery but it' s of very poor  quality and you should  expect this from a company run by Hamsters; best buy the good ones from Germany) " :biggrin:

Please don't say "don't". It's good gear anyway and they sell shiploads of it! :smile:

1 hour ago, bartender100 said:

UK is now the second largest global power

Actually UK is the largest "global" power according to Researchers at European Geostrategy. Because it is the only country they identified as a "global" power. 

https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/study-finds-uk-is-second-most-powerful-country-in-the-world/

According to a report on globalization from Credit Suisse on the world's strongest militaries , UK is ranked #9.

http://www.businessinsider.com/these-are-the-worlds-20-strongest-militaries-ranked-2016-4/#no-9-uk-12

1 hour ago, aright said:

by Kathy Gyngell co-editor of The Conservative Woman, a Hard Brexit supporting rag. Basically the article is just a collection of 'bits' and hardly amounts to any strategy towards Brexit which is the dog that didn't bark in the night in this shallow piece. Emblematic of the Government's own policy right now of muttering incantations as a substitute for process and timelines. No wonder the EU are confused what they have in front of them. On the other hand, just as David Davis gives some signal of being sensible (maybe), the Hard Brexiteers are not quite happy with that and so are getting ready to embrace creepy Rees-Mogg as the Hard Brexiteer's latest and greatest ecumenical authority.

49 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

by Kathy Gyngell co-editor of The Conservative Woman, a Hard Brexit supporting rag. Basically the article is just a collection of 'bits' and hardly amounts to any strategy towards Brexit which is the dog that didn't bark in the night in this shallow piece. Emblematic of the Government's own policy right now of muttering incantations as a substitute for process and timelines. No wonder the EU are confused what they have in front of them. On the other hand, just as David Davis gives some signal of being sensible (maybe), the Hard Brexiteers are not quite happy with that and so are getting ready to embrace creepy Rees-Mogg as the Hard Brexiteer's latest and greatest ecumenical authority.

Crikey! And he accuses others of posting gibberish! Any chance of a weather report from Planet Tharg?

15 hours ago, bartender100 said:

UK is now the second largest global power, claims think tank as it rejects the ‘doom and gloom’ around Brexit

• Henry Jackson Society think tank says UK is a 'leading global power nation'
  • Its Audit of Geopolitical Capacity puts the country before Germany and France
  • The report finds the US and UK command ‘astonishing lead’ in global influence 

The Henry Jackson Society rejects the ‘doom and gloom’ around Brexit and finds that the UK remains a ‘leading global power nation’.

Its report, an ‘Audit of Geopolitical Capacity’ puts the UK ahead of EU nations such as Germany and France.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4874780/UK-second-largest-global-power-says-think-tank.html

People forget that reporting is historical. Every investment company will tell you that past performance is no guarantee of future returns.

The UK had derived a great deal of global influence from being a leading member of the EU, something that has now come to an end. It would be great to see a similar report in 5 years time but very unlikely.

5 minutes ago, sandyf said:

People forget that reporting is historical. Every investment company will tell you that past performance is no guarantee of future returns.

The UK had derived a great deal of global influence from being a leading member of the EU, something that has now come to an end. It would be great to see a similar report in 5 years time but very unlikely.

More goo. The only leading influence that the UK has within the EU has been in terms of net cash contributions (Rank 2). Any influence that the UK still has in the world has origins that go back far beyond the EU. 

3 hours ago, aright said:

How do you define "good news", some companies make a profit from increased tourism and exports while the whole population face rising prices.

As for BMW, only the delusional would think it is set in stone.

http://www.bbc.com/news/av/business-41242474/bmw-we-need-free-trade-after-brexit

3 minutes ago, sandyf said:

It would be great to see a similar report

"UK is now the second largest global power, claims think tank," a neo-conservative British think tank described as right-wing ..." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Jackson_Society

... as in a nationalist organization - a dubious claim. It would be great to see a report from a more independent analysis.

According to a report on globalization from Credit Suisse on the world's strongest militaries , UK is ranked #9, etc. See my post #9633.

It is important, however, that the UK maintain it's armed forces not only for the sake of the nation for for the sake of its allies and trade partners. For that it needs a healthy economy.

2 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

"UK is now the second largest global power, claims think tank," a neo-conservative British think tank described as right-wing ..." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Jackson_Society

... as in a nationalist organization - a dubious claim. It would be great to see a report from a more independent analysis.

According to a report on globalization from Credit Suisse on the world's strongest militaries , UK is ranked #9, etc. See my post #9633.

It is important, however, that the UK maintain it's armed forces not only for the sake of the nation for for the sake of its allies and trade partners. For that it needs a healthy economy.

Please do not truncate comments out of context  - your quote "It would be great to see a similar report" is a distortion of what I said, " It would be great to see a similar report in 5 years time "

11 hours ago, aright said:

9 hours ago, SheungWan said:

9 hours ago, Khun Han said:

Crikey! And he accuses others of posting gibberish! Any chance of a weather report from Planet Tharg?

Is it plain gibberish or "whisky in the jar" gibberish. I suppose the end result is the same.

SheungWan is typical of a few who when they cannot create a constructive argument around the substance of the article, which is what debate is all about, bad mouth the author. They also like to get themselves  into non related comfort zones where they like to insult people who don't get a mention in the article.  Shame really. 

Japanese investment not so secure as some seem to think.

Deepening uncertainties over the direction and timetable of Brexitnegotiations may force Toyota to shift some UK production elsewhere if they are not addressed, the Japanese carmaker warned on Tuesday.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/toyota-brexit-uk-car-production-warning-plants-burnaston-frankfurt-show-a7944141.html

7 hours ago, sandyf said:

Please do not truncate comments out of context  - your quote "It would be great to see a similar report" is a distortion of what I said, " It would be great to see a similar report in 5 years time "

It would be great to hear your views on what, with the UK gone, the EU will look like 10 years from now.  

13 minutes ago, i claudius said:

A bit like Somalia or Eratria i should think and with far far more Mosques.

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

IMO with French, German and Netherlands  euroscepticism increasing year on year it will just require one anti-Euro government to get elected and it's all over

19 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Japanese investment not so secure as some seem to think.

Deepening uncertainties over the direction and timetable of Brexitnegotiations may force Toyota to shift some UK production elsewhere if they are not addressed, the Japanese carmaker warned on Tuesday.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/toyota-brexit-uk-car-production-warning-plants-burnaston-frankfurt-show-a7944141.html

Not stopping the Norwegians investing in the UK

OSLO (Reuters) - Norway’s $830 billion (£584 billion) sovereign wealth fund, the world’s biggest, does not see the prospect of Britain leaving the European Union as a significant risk to its investments, its chief executive told Reuters on Wednesday.

The comments came as the fund reported an overall fourth-quarter gain but said it may need to support government spending to the tune of 80 billion crowns (£6.6 billion) this year.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-norway-swf/norways-830-billion-wealth-fund-to-invest-in-uk-regardless-of-brexit-idUKKCN0WB1NJ

4 hours ago, aright said:

IMO with French, German and Netherlands  euroscepticism increasing year on year it will just require one anti-Euro government to get elected and it's all over

Really, it's been increasing. Can't be much of an increase, if there is one at all.

http://www.pewglobal.org/2017/06/15/most-europeans-judge-brexit-as-bad-for-eu-and-uk/

5 hours ago, bartender100 said:

OSLO (Reuters) - Norway’s $830 billion (£584 billion) sovereign wealth fund, the world’s biggest, does not see the prospect of Britain leaving the European Union as a significant risk to its investments, its chief executive told Reuters on Wednesday.

The comments came as the fund reported an overall fourth-quarter gain but said it may need to support government spending to the tune of 80 billion crowns (£6.6 billion) this year.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-norway-swf/norways-830-billion-wealth-fund-to-invest-in-uk-regardless-of-brexit-idUKKCN0WB1NJ

Yay!

22 minutes ago, ilostmypassword said:

Really, it's been increasing. Can't be much of an increase, if there is one at all.

http://www.pewglobal.org/2017/06/15/most-europeans-judge-brexit-as-bad-for-eu-and-uk/

According to the Spectator 83% of Dutch voters want more influence over future transfer of powers to the EU and 61% want a referendum on any further enlargement of the EU.

In Germany Eurosceptic  party' s  are polling better than they have ever. Mrs Merkel, not so long ago the darling of the Germans, is having to fight much harder to try to win an election.

Marine Le Pen increases her vote year on year. Macron, the darling of the French a few months ago, has an approval rating now of only 40%

8 hours ago, aright said:

Why all the anti EU rhetoric?

You want to leave, fine, but why wish harm on others? That's rather unpleasant don't you think?

Here's what I think: you hope the EU fails because if the UK does badly and the EU flourished you would be left looking pretty bloody stupid? Richtig?

1 minute ago, Grouse said:

Why all the anti EU rhetoric?

You want to leave, fine, but why wish harm on others? That's rather unpleasant don't you think?

Here's what I think: you hope the EU fails because if the UK does badly and the EU flourished you would be left looking pretty bloody stupid? Rechtig?

What?????? Bad day????. Why so angry????   Your reading skills have deserted you. I am not anti EU. All I am doing is giving my opinion as to what I think will happen in Europe. I take no pleasure or find insentience  in my conclusion....it's not my style. Can you tell me where I said I wished harm on them?

I know news wise it has not been a great day for the remainers but don't take it out on me.  Have a glass of wine and relax.

Having invited many remainers to tell us what they feel the state of the union will be 10 years from now your tribe prove reluctant to define their Garden of Eden. Why not give it a go.

8 hours ago, bartender100 said:

I linked to an article earlier this year on this particular investment fund increasing it's investments considerably in the UK.

Archived