May ready for tough talks over Brexit

rooster59

2 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Happy to hear that you think Mandleson was/is hated by the electorate without cause - much like his boss :laugh:.

Agree about Boris.

Re Mandelson whenever I hear people talk how corrupt he was I would like to hear the reasons. He resigned twice on very minor matters and the second time in fact he was cleared. I suspect most of the hatred directed at Mandelson was like Blair he helped Labour win three elections and that the economy while Blair was PM did rather well. On the other hand Liam Fox who is now back in government had to be dragged kicking and screaming from the Defence Ministry when there were calls for his resignation on far more serious charges.

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Grouse said:

So you believe opinion polls?

You do realise that 78% of statistics are just made up ?

I don't necessarily believe them, so I looked at several polls and just averaged them out. The numbers are not as vital as the trend, in this case. The common factor was the immediate rapid closure between Con and Lab % immediately after the Con manifesto was released. May declared her reasoning for the election as soon as she called it but the social welfare elements were not widely known until the manifesto was issued.

78%? How can you be sure? :crazy:

45 minutes ago, Grouse said:

Remember Carrington? Tories used to be honourable people...(except Tebbit)

28 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

The tories/vast majority of politicians are/were far from "honourable"..... 

But its sweet that some are so lacking in intelligence that they believe previous politicians were "honourable" :laugh:!

31 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

And I'm sorry that you think everyone with a different point of view is a "sad" case....

Will the UK prosper if (a very deliberate 'if' ....) it leaves the EU?  I've no idea - and neither has anyone else.  It's all opinion.

No, I speak English, not estuary English

I meant literally that it is a sad fact that many of those who voted for Brexit because they thought it might improve their lot will be disappointed. It is indeed a sad state of affairs.

18 minutes ago, nauseus said:

Unemployment in the south, rebellion in the east plus Brexit. Not particularly harmonious at the moment is it? It wont get better, it will continue to deteriorate. The chances for necessary reforms have come..and gone.

And this is what annoys me the most!

The E U was given a v good reason to reform - but preferred to rely on bullying rhetoric to keep other electorates in line....

1 hour ago, dick dasterdly said:

I disagree.  If the lower paid and average salary workers in the UK had prospered, they would have accepted the overpaid/over bureaucratic/wasteful EU, and only grumbled about these traits.

1 hour ago, Grouse said:

You think these people are going to do better post Brexit. I'm sorry to say this but you are very wrong. Sad really ?

41 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

And I'm sorry that you think everyone with a different point of view is a "sad" case....

Will the UK prosper if (a very deliberate 'if' ....) it leaves the EU?  I've no idea - and neither has anyone else.  It's all opinion.

8 minutes ago, Grouse said:

I meant literally that it is a sad fact that many of those who voted for Brexit because they thought it might improve their lot will be disappointed. It is indeed a sad state of affairs.

7 minutes ago, Grouse said:

I for one, live for your self-entitled OPINIONS masquerading as facts and, of course, the insults against those with a different POV....

I've no idea what "estuary English" means and can't be bothered to look it up.  Clearly, it's yet another insult (roll eyes).

17 hours ago, aright said:

Perhaps you are unaware the Royal Prerogative only serves as a ceremonial; function. We have a constitutional monarchy which when combined with representative democracy ( you have most probably ignored that if a remainer), is a compromise between total trust in the political class and in well bred well trained monarchs raised for the role since birth .Constitutonal Monarchy imo complements democracy.

Your slip is showing slightly. Would I be fair to assume you are a Republican?

I might be if Fag Ash Lill (Lady Camilla) is crowned Queen.

57 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

I for one, live for your self-entitled OPINIONS masquerading as facts and, of course, the insults against those with a different POV....

I've no idea what "estuary English" means and can't be bothered to look it up.  Clearly, it's yet another insult (roll eyes).

.....being a Grammar School Boy I am pretty sure I slide into Estuary English now and again. Probably on a par with Brummie. You know that old saying: 'An Englishman is condemned as soon as he opens his mouth'.

12 hours ago, rockingrobin said:

Are you forgetting the European Scrutiny Committee, who have the power to withold from clearance and  forward any proposals to parliament for debate

A good dictionary will tell you the difference between scrutiny, debate and rejection.

Of the 12000 pieces of legislation imposed by the EU can you tell us how many have been rejected by our Parliament.

The European Communities Act 1972 implicitly recognised the primacy of EU law over UK law. Years later this was deepened and extended by the decisions of the top court........The European Court of Justice

On the specifics of EU legislation the EU has approximately 740 MEPs 

The sick economies of the EU  Greece, Portugal, Italy and Spain have 180 MEP's the UK has 72. Do you honestly think the basket cases of Europe are going to be discussing legislation of value to Britain. The likelihood is they will pursue their own pecuniary interests.

The UK in voting terms has 10% of the chambers votes (very little influence).

Do I want Lithuania, Hungary, Latvia, Slovenia et al having a say in legislation which is binding on the UK. No!

You are obviously happy for these countries to be a wilful force in the UK. You voted stay  

5 minutes ago, aright said:

A good dictionary will tell you the difference between scrutiny, debate and rejection.

Of the 12000 pieces of legislation imposed by the EU can you tell us how many have been rejected by our Parliament.

The European Communities Act 1972 implicitly recognised the primacy of EU law over UK law. Years later this was deepened and extended by the decisions of the top court........The European Court of Justice

On the specifics of EU legislation the EU has approximately 740 MEPs 

The sick economies of the EU  Greece, Portugal, Italy and Spain have 180 MEP's the UK has 72. Do you honestly think the basket cases of Europe are going to be discussing legislation of value to Britain. The likelihood is they will pursue their own pecuniary interests.

The UK in voting terms has 10% of the chambers votes (very little influence).

Do I want Lithuania, Hungary, Latvia, Slovenia et al having a say in legislation which is binding on the UK. No!

You are obviously happy for these countries to be a wilful force in the UK. You voted stay  

They meet once a week (sometimes) and cannot cope with the sheer volume of all this crap. It's all on record.

Here, here, well said and rah rah rah! Time for a Stoli!

6 hours ago, Grouse said:

https://inews.co.uk/opinion/republicans-tories-face-challenge-nationalism/

Just read this over breakfast at Hotel du Vin in Winchester.

Very good piece and represents my personal views accurately

Recommended reading for those who actually give a damn!

I can understand why you don't like him. He is the polar opposite to Corbyn....the man you hope will keep us in the EU (vote at midnight tonight), an individual in a world of spin. You don't get into Trinity College, Oxford or go anywhere in the city by being stupid. I like a man who expresses his religious opinion with the caveat that it won't be imposed on anyone else.

He is not prepared  to compromise his views to fit the mould. He has not tried to change his accent so shut your norf and sarf. He has not soft peddled his views.  He is a breath of fresh air.

More of a Trump man are you?

Wish I could afford to name drop and say I stayed at the Hotel du Vin. Went to one , I think Chester, had a light ale and was on tinned soup for the rest of the week. :biggrin:

9 hours ago, soalbundy said:

The EU is a work in progress, it will evolve as it has to, the UK is a dinosaur living on the past glories of crushing the life's blood out of other countries and is being kept alive by foreign firms still (for how long) producing in the UK, even the great British icon Rolls Royce (cars) is owned by BMW, 

Total rubbish.

Aston Martin have attracted a £500 million investment from Japan. Since the referendum Softbank, Nissan and Toyota have invested heavily in the UK . Mrs May has secured a post Brexit deal with Japan. Other trade deals USA and the Commonwealth are being discussed at the moment.

On the home front we have large world wide players with a British pedigree.

B P,   HSBC,  Tesco, Prudential,  Vodaphone,  Unilever,  Barclays,  Lloyds,  SSE,  Centrica,  GlaxoSmith Kline,  Aviva,

J Sainsbury, Rio Tinto,  RBS,  BT,  Compass Group,  BAE Systems, Rolls Royce Holdings etc etc 

You do know don't you the British economy is the fifth largest in the world. 

2 hours ago, aright said:

I can understand why you don't like him. He is the polar opposite to Corbyn....the man you hope will keep us in the EU (vote at midnight tonight), an individual in a world of spin. You don't get into Trinity College, Oxford or go anywhere in the city by being stupid. I like a man who expresses his religious opinion with the caveat that it won't be imposed on anyone else.

He is not prepared  to compromise his views to fit the mould. He has not tried to change his accent so shut your norf and sarf. He has not soft peddled his views.  He is a breath of fresh air.

Wish I could afford to name drop and say I stayed at the Hotel du Vin. Went to one , I think Chester, had a light ale and was on tinned soup for the rest of the week. :biggrin:

http://tinyurl.com/yc22jt4b

Rees-Mogg? Known to his fellow Parliamentarians as the MP for The Nineteenth Century Constituency. It would seem that most forum Hard Brexiteers are prepared to harness their wagon to any old fool these days.

1 minute ago, aright said:

Total rubbish.

Aston Martin have attracted a £500 million investment from Japan. Since the referendum Softbank, Nissan and Toyota have invested heavily in the UK . Mrs May has secured a post Brexit deal with Japan. Other trade deals USA and the Commonwealth are being discussed at the moment.

B P,   HSBC,  Tesco, Prudential,  Vodaphone,  Unilever,  Barclays,  Lloyds,  SSE,  Centrica,  GlaxoSmith Kline,  Aviva,

J Sainsbury, Rio Tinto,  RBS,  BT,  Compass Group,  BAE Systems, Rolls Royce Holdings etc etc 

With all this post referendum confidence in the UK.... can you explain why the pound has shat the bed against every other currency?

2 hours ago, aright said:

I must be a sociopath as I don't like anybody including May, Rees Mogg, Corbyn or Trump!

I would prefer to remain in the EU and get some things sorted out from within.

It's always a mistake to name drop; prince Charles told me that.

The occasional reference to my itinerary is just a bon mot for your amusement but also to give some credibility to my pro European stance and to undermine views that I am anti British.

You find me in The Black Boy ? supping pints of Saxon Bronze bitter (served with no head for some arcane reason)

Rees Mogg is educated and privileged. How he possibly relates to our population is questionable at best. The article provides an accurate portrait!

17 minutes ago, aright said:

Total rubbish.

Pedigree is a label for dogs like Chihuaua or maybe what they eat? Pedigree Chum.

4 minutes ago, Grouse said:

You find me in The Black Boy ? supping pints of Saxon Bronze bitter (served with no head for some arcane reason)

You little teaser. I,m stuck at home drinking pints of Cripplecock Cider

I find it hard to believe no head.  Last time I was in the Black Boy there were plenty of available women.  :biggrin:

1 minute ago, SheungWan said:

So tell us, is it Volkswagen or BMW that own Rolls Royce, the British pedigree company?

Now your Grammar school education and knowledge of British Industry is letting you down Rolls Royce Holdings are a British company which make jet engines they have nothing to do with Rolls Royce cars. Please don't apologise I accept you for what you are.

11 minutes ago, Grouse said:

I must be a sociopath as I don't like anybody including May, Rees Mogg, Corbyn or Trump!

I would prefer to remain in the EU and get some things sorted out from within.

It's always a mistake to name drop; prince Charles told me that.

The occasional reference to my itinerary is just a bon mot for your amusement but also to give some credibility to my pro European stance and to undermine views that I am anti British.

Rees Mogg is educated and privileged. How he possibly relates to our population is questionable at best. The article provides an accurate portrait!

Sozzled or not, you should cut out the double-spacing! The nonsense of what I have been reading in some of the above contributions is that the very same people who want to laud Rees-Mogg for his educational background were the very first in the queue to denounce Cameron for the very same thing! That's the trouble with some poorly educated individuals....Bad memories! Rees-Mogg doesn't even look right. I'll tell you who he reminds me of: Parker in Fireball XL5.

1 minute ago, SheungWan said:

Sozzled or not, you should cut out the double-spacing! The nonsense of what I have been reading in some of the above contributions is that the very same people who want to laud Rees-Mogg for his educational background were the very first in the queue to denounce Cameron for the very same thing! That's the trouble with some poorly educated individuals....Bad memories! Rees-Mogg doesn't even look right. I'll tell you who he reminds me of: Parker in Fireball XL5.

No he's a dead ringer for Charles Hawtrey

10 minutes ago, aright said:

Now your Grammar school education and knowledge of British Industry is letting you down Rolls Royce Holdings are a British company which make jet engines they have nothing to do with Rolls Royce cars. Please don't apologise I accept you for what you are.

To suggest that Rolls Royce cars are nothing to do with what was the parent company is a bit of a stretch. Even the slightest perusal of the company's history will inform us that. Two interesting points emerge. The first is that the company entered liquidation in 1970 and had to be rescued. So much for the idea of a glorious past before the UK entered the EU. The second point is the degree to which Rolls Royce is involved in European projects. I should also point out that RR is a member of the ADS which is the trade organisation for the aerospace industry. The ADS has warned very strongly against the idea of a Hard Brexit see  http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2017/06/14/aerospace-industry-warns-against-hard-brexit/  So, for any forum Hard Brexiteers to claim either the auto or the aerospace industry as being in their camp is just pure ignorance, dare one say it, Rees-Mogg style?

57 minutes ago, Grouse said:

Stuck in HK overlooking Victoria Harbour. My internal clock completely haywire so I am going to make a cup of tea. Its 3am. Its Lost In Translation time. Again. No I'm not going out.

52 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

Great theme tune!

40 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

To suggest that Rolls Royce cars are nothing to do with what was the parent company is a bit of a stretch. Even the slightest perusal of the company's history will inform us that. Two interesting points emerge. The first is that the company entered liquidation in 1970 and had to be rescued. So much for the idea of a glorious past before the UK entered the EU. The second point is the degree to which Rolls Royce is involved in European projects. I should also point out that RR is a member of the ADS which is the trade organisation for the aerospace industry. The ADS has warned very strongly against the idea of a Hard Brexit see  http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2017/06/14/aerospace-industry-warns-against-hard-brexit/  So, for any forum Hard Brexiteers to claim either the auto or the aerospace industry as being in their camp is just pure ignorance, dare one say it, Rees-Mogg style?

Rolls Royce Holdings couldn't have gone into liquidation in 1971 because the company wasn't formed until 2011. Rolls Royce Limited (different company)went into liquidation in 1971.

You are grabbing at straws. I never claimed any past for RR Holdings...you did but seem to haver got it confused with RR Limited. My only claim is they are a worldwide British successful company.

I never claimed RR Holdings were pro or anti Brexit you introduced that but why that would have any bearing on past or current success I don't know.

Why you would want to bad mouth a successful British Company Is beyond me. In the first half of 2017 they had a revenue of £7566 million providing profit before tax of £1941million. Their share price is a healthy £9 and you will find them in most large pension plans.

What' s the problem. I'm British and proud of their achievement.  

17 minutes ago, Khun Han said:

The City improves it's status as the world's top financial centre. As I keep saying, the finance companies only intend to do the bare minimum to get by EU regulations:

http://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-britain-eu-london-rating/london-stays-worlds-top-finance-centre-despite-brexit-idUKKCN1BM0E7?il=0

Good article.......mmmmmm.........well only good if you want out I suppose.

Archived