May ready for tough talks over Brexit

rooster59

Joking apart

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_semiconductor_fabrication_plants

?

Many won't even understand that it was a shame that ARM got sold. Is there anyone charge?

We can do better than lawn mowers and vacuum cleaners! We should have a Cisco!

Finally

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucas_Industries

Who makes your ECU, Lamda Sensors, Hall effect sensors?

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, mommysboy said:

Your acidic tone negates some of the fine points you make.  One thing though: I think we all need to be wary of supporting one system,eg, Capitalism.  Look at the mess unrestrained capitalism caused in recent times. IMHO a managed economy is essential and this might include social policies aligned to business, after all successful economies such as Germany adopt them.

Usually when someone starts muttering about alternatives to capitalism its away with the fairies time.

On ‎11‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 7:01 PM, onthesoi said:

With all this post referendum confidence in the UK.... can you explain why the pound has shat the bed against every other currency?

Yesterday(Friday) sterling hit its highest level since the result of the Brexit vote and according to the pundits is heading for its best week in almost 9 years against a basket of currencies. Who are you going to blame next?

44 minutes ago, aright said:

Yesterday(Friday) sterling hit its highest level since the result of the Brexit vote and according to the pundits is heading for its best week in almost 9 years against a basket of currencies. Who are you going to blame next?

Trump

Sterling is stable. It's not in crisis, which the hysterical remainers and Project Fear would have you believe. It's somewhere around it's post-EU level now. It will go up and down a bit, but not much. Expats will just have to adjust accordingly now. They are not the story.

6 minutes ago, Khun Han said:

Sterling is stable. It's not in crisis, which the hysterical remainers and Project Fear would have you believe. It's somewhere around it's post-EU level now. It will go up and down a bit, but not much. Expats will just have to adjust accordingly now. They are not the story.

Careful! You are likely to get a reference to someone else's opinion and a snide quip  to this

1 hour ago, Khun Han said:

GBP/USD 1.3594 +0.0197 +1.47%

4 hours ago, aright said:

Juncker

4 hours ago, Khun Han said:

That's right, the story is whatever the Brexiteers deem it to be. Forget the pound in your pocket.

6 hours ago, aright said:

I must go out and buy a basket.

1 hour ago, SheungWan said:

I must go out and buy a basket.

Unbelievable, sterling hits a 30 year low as a result of Brexit which causes import prices to rise and therefore inflation. Then the BoE announces that they are considering an interest rate rise to combat this inflation  which cause sterling to rise and in Brexit land its back with heads in the sand.

27 minutes ago, billd766 said:

The GBP did indeed plunge, but now?

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-41278741

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-41270299

Even without Yingluck.

Are Burberry eyeing up the UK as potentially being the new Bangladesh? I cannot imagine that sales of their £500 baseball caps are rocketing domestically since Brexit was announced. 

6 hours ago, Khun Han said:

46 minutes ago, pitrevie said:

Unbelievable, sterling hits a 30 year low as a result of Brexit which causes import prices to rise and therefore inflation. Then the BoE announces that they are considering an interest rate rise to combat this inflation  which cause sterling to rise and in Brexit land its back with heads in the sand.

I checked out the latest sterling/bht exchange rates and was taken by suprise that they'd improved so much over the last few days!

Which then made me wonder 'why?' - but it was explained by pitrevie's post.

On an entirely selfish note - a win/win for me as company/personal pensions finally increased a little (hopefully more next year), with the added bonus of an exchange rate close to pre-brexit levels!

15 hours ago, aright said:

I would agree both sides have merits unfortunately you only get one vote . In my lifetime I have voted for all three major political parties in the UK. If I had to vote tomorrow I would vote Conservative but the box I tick at the next election will involve a study of all three manifestos. Even so I am not naïve enough to think my chosen party will give me all of the manifesto. ....more like 30%

On a lighter note again. The Monster Raving Loony Party have promised if they get into power to declare Unicorns a protected species and to declare the Channel Tunnel a No Fly Zone. I might give them serious consideration.

That is the problem: winner takes all mentality, and to lose is to have no say whatsoever.  I believe Germany, as an example, has more of a consensus attitude.  Having a watered down manifesto is not a substitute.  The problems of Conservatism and Tory dogma are closely intertwined imo, and it shows in the way Brexit has been interpreted.

28 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

Are Burberry eyeing up the UK as potentially being the new Bangladesh? I cannot imagine that sales of their £500 baseball caps are rocketing domestically since Brexit was announced. 

I have no idea but if you really need to know then contact them and ask.

11 hours ago, SheungWan said:

Usually when someone starts muttering about alternatives to capitalism its away with the fairies time.

It's a shame colour tv was invented as you were undoubtedly much happier with black and white.

But seriously, capialism is just a collection of attitudes towards trade, and trade has been going on for thousands of years in all places under all sorts of market types. 

7 minutes ago, billd766 said:

I have no idea but if you really need to know then contact them and ask.

Sorry - was an open question intended to spark discussion: is Britain rapidly becoming a sweatshop nation? Workers' rights under attack; welfare state being dismantled; salaries plummeting at an unprecedented rate etc. etc. Welcome to the Brexit puppet masters' paradise. 

1 minute ago, RuamRudy said:

Sorry - was an open question intended to spark discussion: is Britain rapidly becoming a sweatshop nation? Workers' rights under attack; welfare state being dismantled; salaries plummeting at an unprecedented rate etc. etc. Welcome to the Brexit puppet masters' paradise. 

Surely, that would have been a pre-Brexit situation.

Euro muppets paradise....

Archived