May ready for tough talks over Brexit

rooster59

2 hours ago, taipeir said:

Incorrect. The digital marketing manager of Vote Leave, Dominic Cummings, is on record as stating that the NHS trope was the single most effective message of the whole campaign as it cut through all social classes. Issues such as immigration simply weren't high on the radar for almany middle class.

So it was very possibly the difference between the IN or OUT vote!

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/staggers/2017/08/its-official-theres-200m-hole-brexit-bus-nhs-promise

Strange, I don’t know of anyone who was influenced by that poster.

3 hours ago, nauseus said:

EU failed diplomacy (loose use of the word I know) helped send the former Yugoslavia even faster on the way to war in the 1990's. The French NATO officer in charge of military operations had to be replaced by an American general before the peace was finally agreed due to the influence of the U.S-dominated NATO, not the EU.  

Were the states that formed Yugoslavia in the EU at the time? I didn't know that ?

Edited by Grouse

8 minutes ago, i claudius said:

The people who cant get a negotiating team together are the politicians. They did not vote to leave.we the people voted for it .let us get a team together i am sure we can sort it out

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Let's send in the TVF brexiteers (the current version of Dad's army), they will deal with the Krauts!

1 minute ago, nontabury said:

Well us Brits have had to do that twice in the last 100 years, becuse you lot were to busy flying a white flag.

And that, I am sorry to say, sums up the typical Brexiter outlook.

I'll get my embarrassment sensitive sunglasses out ?

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, vogie said:

I heard it all now, the brexiteers are getting the blame for German staff not serving his abendessen in 1985. :cheesy:

how embarassing for you!

you did not understand the story!!!

Turnhout is in Belgium - surely the staff was not German!

Juventus - Liverpool - Turnhout, not a German in sight

• Thanks 1

And that, I am sorry to say, sums up the typical Brexiter outlook.

I'll get my embarrassment sensitive sunglasses out [emoji55]
Unlike yours and oldhippys typical outlook that we are an old out of it dads army who know nothing . Pot calling the kettle black methinks

5 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

how embarassing for you!

I was making a point, not giving a geography lesson, my point still stands.

2 minutes ago, i claudius said:

Unlike yours and oldhippys typical outlook that we are an old out of it dads army who know nothing . Pot calling the kettle black methinks

He’s so clever, that at 63 with at least 3 businesses, he still HAS to work.

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

how embarassing for you!

That was a story? More like a tall tale. Either that or Sandy had a senior moment. 

3 minutes ago, nauseus said:

That was a story? More like a tall tale. Either that or Sandy had a senior moment. 

Actually, as a Belgian I can fully believe that story.

I remember coming home from work around 22.30 the evening of the Heysel drama - I was staying at a guesthouse in Antwerpen.

Everybody was watching the TV - I remember I saw a football field and asked "what's the score", a Brit answered we are already 20 - 0 ahead.... in the body count. He was embarrassed to be a Brit and kept appologising.

And from then on, there was an enormous resentment in Belgium against British "Hooligans", a word that we previously did not even know.

Before that, there was only the resentment against the drunken Brits that would stagger off the Dover - Zeebrugge ferry.....

2 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

Admit! You had to google!

I didn't see the point of your rhetorical Q. You had two consecutive questions, rhetorical or otherwise, but no answers. So far the EU has a lousy history of handling foreign conflicts or disputes. Now they want an army and that's a bad idea.

30 minutes ago, nontabury said:

He’s so clever, that at 63 with at least 3 businesses, he still HAS to work.

6 businesses actually, three homes and two very successful children.

But you make a fair comment and here is your answer: at my age, deaths amongst friends are more common than marriages and births. And here's the thing, there certainly seems to be a correlation if not causation between retiring and dying within 2 years. In my case, I see no reason to change my life. I have several vacations each year and have staff who I trust. What would you recommend? Going on cruises with orange morons?

Now, what was your point again?

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

Actually, as a Belgian I can fully believe that story.

I remember coming home from work around 22.30 the evening of the Heysel drama - I was staying at a guesthouse in Antwerpen.

Everybody was watching the TV - I remember I saw a football field and asked "what's the score", a Brit answered we are already 20 - 0 ahead.... in the body count. He was embarrassed to be a Brit and kept appologising.

And from then on, there was an enormous resentment in Belgium against British "Hooligans", a word that we previously did not even know.

Before that, there was only the resentment against the drunken Brits that would stagger off the Dover - Zeebrugge ferry.....

I’m still trying to figure out, why some E.U. Citizens like you, want us to remain in this so called union.

On the other side of the coin, today on the beach, we were sat next to some Swedes, who are on holiday. They told me they so admire the Brits for their stance, on Brexit. I asked them what’s happening in Sweden, they all said their sick of the present situation. So I asked, how come this has come to be. They told me one of the reasons was that certain politicians had encouraged the immigration of people who they knew would vote for them. Simalar to Tony WMD Blair’s government.

”oh” by the way, these are certainly not the first Sweds who have expressed simalar views to me. 

2 minutes ago, Grouse said:

But you make a fair comment and here is your answer: at my age, deaths amongst friends are more common than marriages and births. And here's the thing, there certainly seems to be a correlation if not causation between retiring and dying within 2 years. In my case, I see no reason to change my life. I have several vacations each year and have staff who I trust. What would you recommend? Going on cruises with orange morons?

Yes, well done Grouse. Although I'm not in the same comfort zone I can actually agree about the plus sides of working (at something) for as long as possible. All I need now is a job. :smile: 

4 minutes ago, Grouse said:

Well Im actually a millionaire twice over and that will be even more so in 14 months on vesting my numerous pensions when im 55.

2 minutes ago, nontabury said:

I’m still trying to figure out, why some E.U. Citizens like you, want us to remain in this so called union.

On the other side of the coin, today on the beach, we were sat next to some Swedes, who are on holiday. They told me they so admire the Brits for their stance, on Brexit. I asked them what’s happening in Sweden, they all said their sick of the present situation. So I asked, how come this has come to be. They told me one of the reasons was that certain politicians had encouraged the immigration of people who they knew would vote for them. Simalar to Tony WMD Blair’s government.

”oh” by the way, these are certainly not the first Sweds who have expressed simalar views to me. 

QUOTE: I’m still trying to figure out, why some E.U. Citizens like you, want us to remain in this so called union.

You never read replies do you?

I gave 6 reasons why I think the UK should stay in EU.

I also gave the reason why I am happy you are leaving.

14 minutes ago, nauseus said:

I didn't see the point of your rhetorical Q. You had two consecutive questions, rhetorical or otherwise, but no answers. So far the EU has a lousy history of handling foreign conflicts or disputes. Now they want an army and that's a bad idea.

Come on now; the original point was the assertion that the EU had been instrumental in keeping the peace in Europe. Someone said that that was down to NATO. The Yugoslav wars were suggested to counter the argument but they were not part of the EU. So, please accept that the assertion European Union and its predecessors have indeed been good for peace. I for one, and my 37 year old son for two, are grateful for that.

Certainly NATO held back the USSR but that's a different issue. 

• Like 1