May ready for tough talks over Brexit

rooster59

15 hours ago, vogie said:

Yes intelligence can go a long way. You can educate an intelligent person but not the other way round as I'm sure you know.

It is not uncommon for people with high IQ to make stupid mistakes.

On the other hand, a dog can be taught some quite clever tricks.

Common sense is rare.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, talahtnut said:

In your days there were no zero hours contract, 100 people applying for the same job, and university grads having to work in McDonalds.

Times have changed.

In my days there were no employment agencies, no internet, no email, we didn't even have a telephone. If I wanted a job I either had to read the national newspapers with the job adverts in them every Thursday, write a letter and wait for a reply or I would go to the company and try to get an interview. Yes, times have changed, now with the internet you have access to thousands of job vacancies and instant replies.

Edited by simoh1490
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

In my days there were no employment agencies, no internet, no email, we didn't even have a telephone. If I wanted a job I either had to read the national newspapers with the job adverts in them every Thursday, write a letter and wait for a reply or I would go to the company and try to get an interview. Yes, times have changed, now with the internet you have access to thousands of job vacancies and instant replies.

There are still those without internet or computer. A friend uses my machine, but can only seek local jobs as he has no car,  jobs available are low paid menial positions like washing up, or gardening, at the moment he shovels pig muck in a piggery..he tells me that it is not as easy as it once was to get a job.  Firms paying people not to work, may be the future.

3 minutes ago, talahtnut said:

There are still those without internet or computer. A friend uses my machine, but can only seek local jobs as he has no car,  jobs available are low paid menial positions like washing up, or gardening, at the moment he shovels pig muck in a piggery..he tells me that it is not as easy as it once was to get a job.  Firms paying people not to work, may be the future.

But he has access to one, that is the point.

I didn't have a car either when I lived in the UK. I lived in the North and I went to job interviews in London by train, coming back the same day, easily a 4 hour journey one way at the time. Only seeking local jobs because the person doesn't have a car, seems like they really aren't trying that hard or are probably not too serious about improving their lot.

I think one of the things that is happening with Brexit is many younger people are looking at their wealth versus that of their parents and are feeling disenfranchised and they're looking for someone to blame, for many, the EU and all membership entails is the target and Brexit is the means - that is, seriously misguided stuff. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, talahtnut said:

Remain or leave will make no difference to the common man.

The government and its economists will make sure us commoners

lose out. ie. will be stuffed.   Some things never change.

I think you will find that inequality will increase exponentially without EU constraints on the Komodo Cons.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

But he has access to one, that is the point.

I didn't have a car either when I lived in the UK. I lived in the North and I went to job interviews in London by train, coming back the same day, easily a 4 hour journey one way at the time. Only seeking local jobs because the person doesn't have a car, seems like they really aren't trying that hard or are probably not too serious about improving their lot.

I think one of the things that is happening with Brexit is many younger people are looking at their wealth versus that of their parents and are feeling disenfranchised and they're looking for someone to blame, for many, the EU and all membership entails is the target and Brexit is the means - that is, seriously misguided stuff. 

Could you afford the Train fare to London now?

House prices have been prohibitive long before brexit.

More and more folk are living homeless.

2 minutes ago, talahtnut said:

I could certainly afford the coach fare, especially an overnighter.

Your point about homelessness is well taken and agreed, it's an appalling scenario.

Edited by simoh1490
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, talahtnut said:

EU 'restraints' have'nt done much so far.

I take your point. However, they can't cover all the bases. We are largely responsible for our own economic system. I hate to forecast what's coming down the line...

5 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

I suspect the poster was referring to the average person, not the fortunate few who escaped their poor background?

More specifically as to why things are far worse for young people today - pensions.  Good company schemes used to be relatively easily available - but they've been destroyed.

Wages/salaries dropped a few decades ago as companies 'restructured' their salary schemes - to the detriment of those at the bottom, but benefit of those at the top.

Not that this has anything to do with the EU - the blame for the foregoing can be laid entirely on Brit. govts. and the greed of the wealthy.

The open borders policy just allowed the already wealthy and greedy yet another opportunity to keep wages as low as possible.... 

The British housing scam has bankrupted the country and wrecked young people's future. Far too much unearned wealth from property inflation. No proper rental system 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Grouse said:

I take your point. However, they can't cover all the bases. We are largely responsible for our own economic system. I hate to forecast what's coming down the line...

I can give you a hint...it comes out of the end a sewer, and its brown.

So you live on the island?

And you told us before you are into buddhism?

Surely much easier to be a buddhist on that island than in Thailand, where you would be confronted with the reality of buddhism.

I'm sure your local library has very inspiring books on buddhism - whereas Thailand has no libraries and no inspiring books on buddhism. They have monks though. Lots. Monks on grid.....

15 hours ago, oldhippy said:

So you live on the island?

And you told us before you are into buddhism?

Surely much easier to be a buddhist on that island than in Thailand, where you would be confronted with the reality of buddhism.

I'm sure your local library has very inspiring books on buddhism - whereas Thailand has no libraries and no inspiring books on buddhism. They have monks though. Lots. Monks on grid.....

Wrong again.

I am in Thailand now. 6 months, 6 months in UK   There are books in Thailand on Buddhism. Monks are human..Its the philosophy thats right.  So what is your point?

Now this IS a key issue and worthy of debate. In the UK we have this terribly wrong. Look at Germany and Denmark. Different systems. Look it up ?

2 hours ago, Grouse said:

You clearly know little about Singapore. Nice for a weekend; very glitzy. But dig beneath the surface.....

You can keep it

Thanks for your succinct review on Ambrose Evans-Pritchard's economic review of Singapore. I must say, i find the review is more "Red top" than "Broadsheet" . I have a small business interest there and know three British expats (two working) who are extremely happy living there so your reasons for thinking it is not a good economic model would be appreciated or is this another I want to criticize but I don't want to explain moment..

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Grouse said:

Now this IS a key issue and worthy of debate. In the UK we have this terribly wrong. Look at Germany and Denmark. Different systems. Look it up ?

Really, this issue is key and worthy of debate. We are the 6th economy in the world but most people are poor. Why? The housing farago is a major contributory factor. Ignore if you wish butthis is much more important than much else...

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Grouse said:

Right on Grouse, Germany, and its people are impressive.

• Sad 1

20 minutes ago, aright said:

Thanks for your succinct review on Ambrose Evans-Pritchard's economic review of Singapore. I must say, i find the review is more "Red top" than "Broadsheet" . I have a small business interest there and know three British expats (two working) who are extremely happy living there so your reasons for thinking it is not a good economic model would be appreciated or is this another I want to criticize but I don't want to explain moment..

Well I've been visiting Singapore regularly for 35 years. I do my banking there.

Its a very controlled environment (which it needs to be). But, controlled nevertheless. I like several elements including the superannuation / mortgage / pension set up.

The hot house children's training (it's not education) is not my style

Its NOT a democracy

Finally, it's just not British (though they have made a much better fist of it than we did!)

Anyway, off topic....

Edited by Grouse