May ready for tough talks over Brexit

rooster59

3 hours ago, bert bloggs said:

Just beat me to it , great news ,but then we knew it all along , unlike the Remoaners who must be having a breakdown ,trying to see how they can spin it , Bet you wont hear this on the BBC or in the Guardian , one of which begs for donations to keep going and the other who just takes it off you in tax ,or they would go broke like the Guardian .

QUOTE: (the Guardian) begs for donations to keep going

Yes, they ask for donations, because, unlike most other quality newspapers, they are not behind a pay wall.

16 hours ago, oldhippy said:

QUOTE: (the Guardian) begs for donations to keep going

Yes, they ask for donations, because, unlike most other quality newspapers, they are not behind a pay wall.

Could it be that they are asking for donations because nobody is buying it?

Perhaps people are more discerning than you think.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, talahtnut said:

Perhaps people are more discerning than you think.

I think it's because they don't carry advertising, don't pay readers for smutty stories and pictures and they just carry news, thereby appealing to the smaller and more int..  intell... discerning component of the population.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, talahtnut said:

Seems asking for donations is consistent with its financial structure rather than a customer base.

It’s owned by the nonprofit Scott Trust, not allowed to make profit distributions to shareholders and created nonprofit theguardian.org, to raise money from people and foundations to support its journalism.

http://www.smh.com.au/business/media-and-marketing/guardian-asking-readers-to-donate-money-to-continue-its-intelligent-journalism-20160630-gpv80k.html

https://digiday.com/media/guardian-launches-nonprofit-fund-journalism/

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Srikcir said:

Seems asking for donations is consistent with its financial structure rather than a customer base.

It’s owned by the nonprofit Scott Trust, not allowed to make profit distributions to shareholders and created nonprofit theguardian.org, to raise money from people and foundations to support its journalism.

http://www.smh.com.au/business/media-and-marketing/guardian-asking-readers-to-donate-money-to-continue-its-intelligent-journalism-20160630-gpv80k.html

You and Simoh give logical reasons for the Guardian but, like most papers, it is losing readers.      [The editor may have to consider sticking dollops of smut in it..

to attract more punters!]

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, talahtnut said:

You and Simoh give logical reasons for the Guardian but, like most papers, it is losing readers.      [The editor may have to consider sticking dollops of smut in it..

to attract more punters!]

Here is an interesting link to the circulation figures of most UK daily and Sunday papers.

https://mediatel.co.uk/newsline/2017/08/17/guardian-and-observer-take-biggest-circulation-hits-in-july/

• Like 1

2 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

I think it's because they don't carry advertising, don't pay readers for smutty stories and pictures and they just carry news, thereby appealing to the smaller and more int..  intell... discerning component of the population.

Maybe headline catching blatant scaremongering and lies like " Blue Passport holders will be sent to back of immigration queues".....makes red buses look miniscule

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Srikcir said:

I wouldn't get too agitated about it. Most Brexiteers in Thailand are Cheap Charlies who wouldn't spend a penny on access to a newspaper.

• Like 1

Maybe headline catching blatant scaremongering and lies like " Blue Passport holders will be sent to back of immigration queues".....makes red buses look miniscule

I fail to see why this is a lie. If we leave the EU and end free movement of people then obviously we will need to pass through an immigration check to enter and standard practice is to join a queue at the back unless, of course, you are expecting TM to backtrack and inadvertently sign us up to Schengen.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, oldhippy said:

Do I detect a small inconsistency in the conspiration theory of the brexiteers?

The Guardian influences people by printing fake and biased news, but nobody buys the paper?

The oldhippy conspiracy theory will be debunked in a couple of years.

And newspapers will die a slow death..how will you manage without the smut?

11 minutes ago, Orac said:

I fail to see why this is a lie. If we leave the EU and end free movement of people then obviously we will need to pass through an immigration check to enter and standard practice is to join a queue at the back unless, of course, you are expecting TM to backtrack and inadvertently sign us up to Schengen.

Because they stated the reason being....blue passport, nothing to do with leaving the eu, and agreements havnt even been met yet.

• Confused 1

Because they stated the reason being....blue passport, nothing to do with leaving the eu, and agreements havnt even been met yet.

But the article does go on to say

“But as the announcement divided domestic opinion along increasingly entrenched cultural battle lines, sources in Brussels pointed out that holders of any colour of British passport could see diminished travel rights after Brexit unless there were further negotiating concessions.”.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Orac said:

Because we didn't join Schengen, we have always had to queue up to enter. Just as we have always had to provide advance passenger information to countries involved in that scheme, such as Spain. Nothing much is going to change on this front due to brexit.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

You're taken with the word I see, it does have a certain, "roll off the tongue" feel to it does it not. As in Brexit Piffle, which sounds like some kind of breakfast cereal, I'd like a nice big bowl of Brexit Piffle, please!

I'm sure it would taste better than a big bowl of Brexit Macromics smothered in sour cream.

7 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

You're taken with the word I see, it does have a certain, "roll off the tongue" feel to it does it not. As in Brexit Piffle, which sounds like some kind of breakfast cereal, I'd like a nice big bowl of Brexit Piffle, please!

This is my favourite! 

Image result for brexit cereals

Edited by nauseus
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, oldhippy said:

The Guardian influences people by printing fake and biased news, but nobody buys the paper?

Even the most faithful guardians are finally becoming unbiased. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, oldhippy said:

too much mindfulness can damage your mental health

That is an incorrect statement.

Mindfulness can help give access to a different perspective, and helps open other possibilities, and enhances resilience and the capacity to tolerate distress.

Also good for physical health.

4 hours ago, oldhippy said:

About 160,xxx people buy the actual paper version daily though I suspect that few in Thailand do simply because of the cost. In the UK it is £2 a copy so I would think it would be over that amount here. It would also probably be out of date if it ever gets here due to the time difference and the delivery.

It is also available on line if you wish to search for it and again I am not sure how many people on TVF would read it, Brexiteers or Remainers.

Usually someone from one side or the other quotes it and only then do people read it on line. The same I would think goes for all the online UK papers. I think that you have to take out a subscription to read the Telegraph but most of the others are free.

• Like 1

"The EU can have whatever relationship and deals it likes with Turkey and the Ukraine. So long as the UK is out of the EU, their relations with other non-EU states is a matter for them.

Notice how this has come not from the EU itself, but from its puppet-masters - the Germans. "

Edited by aright
grammar
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, billd766 said:

About 160,xxx people buy the actual paper version daily though I suspect that few in Thailand do simply because of the cost. In the UK it is £2 a copy so I would think it would be over that amount here. It would also probably be out of date if it ever gets here due to the time difference and the delivery.

It is also available on line if you wish to search for it and again I am not sure how many people on TVF would read it, Brexiteers or Remainers.

Usually someone from one side or the other quotes it and only then do people read it on line. The same I would think goes for all the online UK papers. I think that you have to take out a subscription to read the Telegraph but most of the others are free.

In Patts the only available hard copy daily is the FT and only one place I know gets that now. FT costs 140/150 baht. Central Festival Asia Books now only stocks the Weekend FT and The NYT in original format. The Economist and other mags available. One restaurant I know gets hold of photocopied Daily Mail, good for the usual hysteria while I am eating my poached eggs. FT and The Times and NYT are all subscription-based. Two London freebies which are overlooked are City AM  http://www.cityam.com/  and the London Evening Standard https://www.standard.co.uk/