Family of well-known Houstonian killed in Thailand trying to raise money to bring his body home

rooster59

20 hours ago, longtom said:

From the original article:

"I don't know how Houston will function without Clark because he impacted so many people's lives," said Chen.

Shouldn't be a problem to find donors then.

As they have already raised $71,000 I guess you're right

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

58 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

As they have already raised $71,000 I guess you're right

Flies first class, needs donations to get his ashes / body back to US, seems to be a showpony to me.

Some folks seem to have some strange priorities.

14 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Flies first class, needs donations to get his ashes / body back to US, seems to be a showpony to me.

Some folks seem to have some strange priorities.

Unless this story is orders of magnitude stranger then it appears to be, it's tough to see how he would be the one who got on GoFundMe to raise money to have his mortal remains repatriated.

I can recall several times over my life when people passed the hat for donations to help families who later returned the money or donated it to charity because they didn't need it.   GoFundMe seems to be a way for anyone to pass the hat without even discussing whether the funds are needed or appropriate.  

Let's wait and see before we judge the poor guy's priorities.  He may have left behind an estate worth $$$ millions.

Wow, well I looked at some of his photos on Instagram ...besides his luxurious trip here .....he lives in a luxury high rise building in Houston which I have no idea what that is worth, but he has several photos of his car, which is Jaguar F, Type R Coupe with a base price starting at $105,000!!  Maybe he has a debt-driven lifestyle or paid cash, we don't know. ..however, it would seem to me that this Gofundme page is very inappropriate.

You would hope that before people started "passing a hat" they would have some idea if a hat was needed.  If you see a person is living a lifestyle that looks like this, I would assume a hat is NOT needed.  Especially this being a single man with no kids, etc.

The Gofundme page states that his family " really need your help and support during this difficult time" and that they hope to pay his medical bills, his plot, his funeral, the cost to transport him back, and MORE."

And they don't actually address what happened to his girlfriend's bills or if they will be helping her at all.

If someone did that on my behalf (for a person in my family who was dead) I would be shutting it down ASAP ... not letting it go and wondering what to do with the money later. That would be a total embarrassment to my family, the dead person in my family, etc.

Well actually, the GoFundme page, states that they are raising money in the name of his sister. I don't think it would be too far off to assume that she and the family know about this,  and will gladly accept the money, no matter how much money they later inherit from Clark's estate, or get paid from insurance later. I guess many people would do this.  Since he has earned a lot of money from the internet and from being well-known they thought to capitalize on that also.

If people who follow him are donating money, I guess they must also know, he didn't seem broke, so maybe they don't care either??  This must be different from when a basically anonymous person dies over here, and then tries to do the same (if we were to discover they are fairly well off?) So there is that to consider?

21 hours ago, Wilsonandson said:

Located and confirmed that the man died, his girlfriend was injured and this is not a scam. I won't post any links to back this up but facebook doesn't lie. Articles in newspapers don't lie. This is 100% real. Be careful what you post. You might upset the family. Just saying.

"... facebook doesn't lie. Articles in newspapers don't lie. "

No, of course not, what planet are you from?

I'd be pretty sure that the family doesn't give a bugger what posters here say, they're probably much to busy trying to work out which charities to distribute the extra money that they've scrounged after the repatriation costs have been met.

6 hours ago, madmitch said:

That's quite unusual. Normally an insurance company would not pay out, and are quite within their rights not to pay, due to non-disclosure of something as serious as a stroke! The only way they may consider paying is if the death were proven to be without any doubt unrelated to the condition, difficult with a stroke, where the brain is affected.

I'm also a little confused over the mother and daughter concealing the fact he'd had a stroke. Nothing to do with them as this should have been revealed on the initial application.

Yes, it was they who took out the insurance... 

19 hours ago, Foreign Jim said:

Horribly written headline.  How about "Houston Family Tries to Raise Money to Bring Son Home."  The way you have it written sounds like the family was killed in an attempt to bring their son home.  

Thaivisa didn't write anything, you need to complain to ABC if you think that a perfectly understandable headline when read in full was anything else.

14 hours ago, joeyg said:

What indicates the mob was involved?

I was questioning the topic headline that said he had been killed... 

To date I have not seen any evidence that he was killed, he died as the result of an unfortunate road accident.

P.S. It is not TV news I am knocking as they copied what ABC13 wrote.

14 hours ago, Friendly Stranger said:

Take it easy guys, I knew him as an acquaintance.  Very fun loving and physically strong person as he was one of the on line contributors to a very popular you tube site.

Why should anyone take it easy?  Because he was strong and had a YouTube channel?

10 hours ago, performance said:

Question what is the extortion cost here of body transfer back to the beloved family ?  Have TOT got a estimate ? 

Why would Thailand's state telephone company have an estimate?

Edited by gdgbb

6 minutes ago, gdgbb said:

Why should anyone take it easy?  Because he was strong and had a YouTube channel?

6 minutes ago, gdgbb said:

Agree, plenty of folks in this world who have really contributed to society, I would much prefer to support them rather than someone who is 'strong' and likes attention.

Edited by scorecard

32 minutes ago, gdgbb said:

Why would Thailand's state telephone company have an estimate?

1. Transport of dead bodies is very very expensive no matter what county from  /  to and what airline.

2. I don't know why, but I'm guessing there's lots of complex paperwork, certificates, approvals etc., involved, at both ends of the journey. Perhaps also means very specialized transport to / from the airport... all costs money.  Perhaps also very specialized packaging, perhaps refrigerated coffin, perhaps many / all airlines would simply refuse to handle a decomposing / unrefrigerated dead body? Perhaps there are international laws to this effect? ... all costs money.

3. All of the above applies equally to all dead bodies regardless of country of origin and regardless of whether the dead person was a bodybuilder  /  was popular... etc.

4. I guess the OP meant TAT (Gov't Tourist Authority of Thailand) not TOT (gov't Telephone Organization of Thailand), and in any case is this matter something the Thailand tourist authority should be active about? Seems to be the appropriate gov't morgue authorities etc., should be involved, not a tourist authority. 

Edited by scorecard

If my semi-famous brother and his girlfriend were in an accident and he died and she needed a lot of uninsured hospital care in Thailand, followed by a lot more when she gets back to the USA, do you figure I'd be better off appealing to his thousands of Youtube followers or to her 15 Facebook friends?

Her hospital bills could easily run up to $$ half a million (or more) with follow up care back in the USA.  And I'd bet the fact that she got injured on the back of a scooter in Thailand would negate any insurance she may have thought she had.

2 hours ago, amykat said:

Maybe he has a debt-driven lifestyle or paid cash, we don't know. ..however, it would seem to me that this Gofundme page is very inappropriate.

Maybe he's  actually broke. All funded by a sugar daddy / sugar mummy.

Seen same thing before, very highly paid young professional women supporting dumb and/or beautiful bodied cute gym boys, expensive homes, cars, etc. 

Edited by scorecard

"... facebook doesn't lie. Articles in newspapers don't lie. "
No, of course not, what planet are you from?

I'd be pretty sure that the family doesn't give a bugger what posters here say, they're probably much to busy trying to work out which charities to distribute the extra money that they've scrounged after the repatriation costs have been met.

Earth.

It is with deepest sympathy to share the passing of Sherry and Jilly’s little brother Clark Shao. He was in a tragic motorcycle accident while vacationing in Thailand with his girlfriend Melisa. The family urgently flew over to tend to Clark as he was in critical condition. Unfortunately, he couldn't pull through and passed early Tuesday morning. The Shao family is still currently in Thailand dealing with multiple processes in trying to bring Clark back home to Houston. They really need your help and support during this difficult time. The funds we are hoping to raise will help cover the expenses to transport Clark back, surgeries, medical bills, plot, funeral costs and more.

http://whereparty.com/event/3781331/houston-in-loving-memory-of-clark-shao-benefit-fundraiser-sunday-9pm

On ‎22‎.‎10‎.‎2016 at 8:02 PM, Basil B said:

Anyone know how much a cremation would cost in Thailand?

Presume the charges will vary depending where. 

I read 5k baht.

Absolutely no need to spend a lot of money transporting a dead body home. Funerals are only for the living, and they could just have a closed casket with the ashes inside.

6 hours ago, amykat said:

Wow, well I looked at some of his photos on Instagram ...besides his luxurious trip here .....he lives in a luxury high rise building in Houston which I have no idea what that is worth, but he has several photos of his car, which is Jaguar F, Type R Coupe with a base price starting at $105,000!!  Maybe he has a debt-driven lifestyle or paid cash, we don't know. ..however, it would seem to me that this Gofundme page is very inappropriate.

You would hope that before people started "passing a hat" they would have some idea if a hat was needed.  If you see a person is living a lifestyle that looks like this, I would assume a hat is NOT needed.  Especially this being a single man with no kids, etc.

The Gofundme page states that his family " really need your help and support during this difficult time" and that they hope to pay his medical bills, his plot, his funeral, the cost to transport him back, and MORE."

And they don't actually address what happened to his girlfriend's bills or if they will be helping her at all.

If someone did that on my behalf (for a person in my family who was dead) I would be shutting it down ASAP ... not letting it go and wondering what to do with the money later. That would be a total embarrassment to my family, the dead person in my family, etc.

and he is a known drinker, the photos suggest he has at times not worn a helmet.  But of course if he was in a head on crash that may not have mattered much.  More details of the crash and circumstance would be interesting but that is unlikely.   I am just tired of people crying for help after somebody acts irresponsibly.  His lifestyle seems very expensive and I am pretty sure he can't make ends meet as a simple personal trainer.  I would question how exactly he is making money, if he is. I see from his instagram post dates that he of course was in thailand recently and then also Thailand and the Philippines in March. 

2 hours ago, Spaniel said:

farang-deaths.com hasn't mentioned his death.

For those that say the funding or his death is a sham meaning he doesn't exist or didn't die here is a vid from youtube from members of the fitness company he ran online. I knew of him and subscribed to his fitness course . Can check also Houston News that talk about his death. If you don't want to contribute fine just stop  slagging him as saying some kind of scam to get money he was agreat guy who lived life to the fullest , sad ending but have some consideration for his family. Basically you have nothing nice to say  Say nothing and don't contribute to Go Fund.

Travel insurance is not something I normally buy, but on one trip several years ago I got a really good price on the airfares fro my family and decided to get it. The one I purchased covered medical issues in country, repatriation of a body if you died, etc. On that trip I got very sick and was in the hospital for four days (small private hospital in Nang Grong, Buriram). When I tried to make a claim I discovered in the small print that the travel insurance only paid after all other insurance had certified what they paid or did not pay out. Overseas is not covered by any of my medical insurance policies (I am covered by two), after several months trying to obtain the required paperwork I gave up and decided it was easier to just eat the $550 USD that I paid out of pocket than deal with the  bureaucracy. Travel insurance is not always the be all end all that some on this forum make it out to be, based on my limited experience I would recommend reading the entire policy (which almost no one except a lawyer does) and all the requirements and limitations before buying any of this stuff. In my opinion I would not buy travel insurance offered by the travel agencies ever again.

The deceased himself is something of a scammer if he's telling people there is a shortcut to a cut 6 pack.  THERE ISN'T!!!

Like other things in life, the only way to achieve a cut 6 pack is hard work, crunches, crunches, and more crunches!  A bit of careful eating, and a lot of  fat burning exercise, to get rid of the layer of fat, are also required.

No, there is NO shortcut to a 6 pack.

9 hours ago, Ahab said:

Travel insurance is not something I normally buy, but on one trip several years ago I got a really good price on the airfares fro my family and decided to get it. The one I purchased covered medical issues in country, repatriation of a body if you died, etc. On that trip I got very sick and was in the hospital for four days (small private hospital in Nang Grong, Buriram). When I tried to make a claim I discovered in the small print that the travel insurance only paid after all other insurance had certified what they paid or did not pay out. Overseas is not covered by any of my medical insurance policies (I am covered by two), after several months trying to obtain the required paperwork I gave up and decided it was easier to just eat the $550 USD that I paid out of pocket than deal with the  bureaucracy. Travel insurance is not always the be all end all that some on this forum make it out to be, based on my limited experience I would recommend reading the entire policy (which almost no one except a lawyer does) and all the requirements and limitations before buying any of this stuff. In my opinion I would not buy travel insurance offered by the travel agencies ever again.

The web site of one of the local LCC carriers fully details the coverage of their clickable travel insurance.

But on the website of the actual insurance company the same specific policy concerned shows different coverage details / numbers.

I've pointed this out twice to the LCC by e-mail, they have never acknowledged either mail, nothing has been corrected on their website,  the two sites still clash. 

Edited by scorecard