The general mood in Patty these days

swissie

18 hours ago, Daryle said:

This is a scum boss taking advantage of the 'circumstances'... you will find them world wide given an opportunity to screw employees over.

Easy to say; easy to take the uninformed free shot.  But if his business really is down, it sounds like it could come down to a choice between laying off workers or cutting salaries.  Is he "screwing employees over", or trying to keep them on the payroll?

If (and only if) he's actually just using "the circumstances" to take advantage, and his receipts aren't really suffering that much, then I agree.   (But I've heard worse...)  Personally, I think it's kind of scummy to underpay employees and expect them to make it up in squeezing customers for tips...

33 minutes ago, hawker9000 said:

Easy to say; easy to take the uninformed free shot.  But if his business really is down, it sounds like it could come down to a choice between laying off workers or cutting salaries.  Is he "screwing employees over", or trying to keep them on the payroll?

If (and only if) he's actually just using "the circumstances" to take advantage, and his receipts aren't really suffering that much, then I agree.   (But I've heard worse...)  Personally, I think it's kind of scummy to underpay employees and expect them to make it up in squeezing customers for tips...

And you think an employer cares about an employee in Thailand.

very funny. :cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

And he will also put the salary back up as soon as it all picks up again.

yes your well informed about how they do stuff in Thailand :cheesy:

Thank you for the giggle over breakfast. :thumbsup:

Edited by onemorechang

3 hours ago, onemorechang said:

And you think an employer cares about an employee in Thailand.

very funny. :cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

And he will also put the salary back up as soon as it all picks up again.

yes your well informed about how they do stuff in Thailand :cheesy:

Thank you for the giggle over breakfast. :thumbsup:

And you're a master of generalization.  I guess everybody has to be good at something.

Sorry. 'Can't say that's funny.  Lame & pathetic mainly.

1 hour ago, hawker9000 said:

And you're a master of generalization.  I guess everybody has to be good at something.

Sorry. 'Can't say that's funny.  Lame & pathetic mainly.

Well maybe you should have kept your mouth shut.

about Thai employers,   as you know NOTHING of what goes on here.

i think your comments are based on the west, not Thailand.

The hole country is geared to keep the rich rich

and the poor as poor  can be.

Edited by onemorechang

On 10/24/2016 at 4:28 AM, Suradit69 said:

In general, most of Pattaya has no direct connection to the "entertainment sector"  and I would guess that applies to most long term farang as well.

If no "direct connection" then by way of "indirect connection" to the "Entertainment Sector". Must be.

- I see no "Industrial / Trade Sector" . No Agricultural Sector. And Pattaya can't qualify as a "Financial-Hub" like London. Nor can it boast of being a historical / cultural center of Thailand. What's left? Exactly, the Entertainment Sector. In one way or the other, this is what puts rice on the tables of local Thai's.

Pattaya, the "Premier Beach Resort" in S/E Asia? If one cherishes constant traffic jams, polluted air, soiled beaches, then of course it must be paradise on earth.

- Is it a crime for a Farang to reside in Pattaya and admit, that the availability of a Farang lifestyle far away from home, including the presence of a reasonably priced and strong Entertainment Sector is a major cause of having taken residence in Pattaya?

So let it be known: I will be spending the winter months in Pattaya. But not because I take a liking to polluted air and soiled beaches.  I come because of the "Entertainment Sector". Amen & cheers.

On 24/10/2016 at 4:58 PM, LennyW said:

I guess it's cool if you have your baseball cap on back to front, the erse of your breeks hanging round your knees and if your twelve years old!

You forgot the cool 60 year old dudes who wear sunglasses on their heads at night.

17 hours ago, BlackJack said:

the roller door on one of the bars has been half closed since the big event

perhaps this week it will be raised

Some will see it as half closed, others will see it as half open.

11 hours ago, swissie said:

If no "direct connection" then by way of "indirect connection" to the "Entertainment Sector". Must be.

- I see no "Industrial / Trade Sector" . No Agricultural Sector. And Pattaya can't qualify as a "Financial-Hub" like London. Nor can it boast of being a historical / cultural center of Thailand. What's left? Exactly, the Entertainment Sector. In one way or the other, this is what puts rice on the tables of local Thai's.

Pattaya is handily wedged between at least a couple of notable industrial/trade/service sectors so there's a growing contingent of residents, mostly Thai but some foreign, that do actually work in these places. But as you say, the legions of locals that come in from the huge dormitory towns further east are only here for the beach and seafood. The Bangkokian comes for the vicarious thrill (and a soapy while the wife and/or GF is trawling Central Festival).

Pattaya, the "Premier Beach Resort" in S/E Asia? If one cherishes constant traffic jams, polluted air, soiled beaches, then of course it must be paradise on earth.

Since OA Transport got nailed for the 'zero baht' scam, I haven't had a decent traffic jam for almost a month, including the perpetual tunneling on Sukhumvit. What with the Highway 7 bypass making amazing progress, I am beginning to feel cheated! Also, with less buses on the roads, I now see that the baht buses are still driving around mostly empty.

- Is it a crime for a Farang to reside in Pattaya and admit, that the availability of a Farang lifestyle far away from home, including the presence of a reasonably priced and strong Entertainment Sector is a major cause of having taken residence in Pattaya?

But aren't most foreigners living in Pattaya criminals? Take the chap across the street from me. Nice, quiet, retired Norwegian guy with matronly Thai wife. Repainted his house taupe and fuschia. Bloody criminal!

So let it be known: I will be spending the winter months in Pattaya. But not because I take a liking to polluted air and soiled beaches.  I come because of the "Entertainment Sector". Amen & cheers.

Well said sir! Nothing quite as invigorating and liberating as coming out before one is outed. Plus the bonus of not getting bloody sand everywhere.

...and the temples. Don't forget the temples.

3 minutes ago, Seizetheday said:

How are things looking in regards to dress wear. I'm coming home after 5 months away, is it ok to wear loud colours yet?

Its not like you get arrested or beaten up for loud shirts, but 90% are wearing black and it I feel that Thais appreciate it. Besides , its very sliming.

59 minutes ago, Seizetheday said:

How are things looking in regards to dress wear. I'm coming home after 5 months away, is it ok to wear loud colours yet?

My observations on the locals; when they are out and about on the motorbike, going to the market, taking the kids to school and grabbing noodles, they wear whatever colour they would normally wear. When going to the mall or supermarket on a weekend, where there's a higher likelihood of lingering in crowds of fellow Thais, they pretty much all wear black.

Foreigners can wear what color they want but as noted earlier, black will be unspokenly appreciated if you are getting in line at the post office and especially if doing anything at a government office.