Wifi Adapter or Ethernet?

yzak

Kinda stupid question, but does anyone here in Thailand use a Wifi Adapter for their desktop? My apartment does not have ethernet so I can't use wire unless I pay to have it installed. Can someone suggest a good wifi adapter that will meet my needs? The onboard wifi adapter I have on my mobo is pretty shit and the connection is spiky. My laptop's wifi on the other hand works fine. 

Last question, does it cost a lot to have a wire run into my room? I think the landlord will let me if I pay and have it arranged. Any experiences? Thank you!

I've used several.

ZyXel NWD2105 cheap (around 400 baht).

It is only N150 but works perfectly for a desktop.

There is a later model (2205) which is N300.

To free up a USB port I currently use a TP-Link WN881ND PCI Express card.

Sells for around 600 baht in Thailand but cheaper overseas.

I replaced the antennas that came with it with larger ones I had but it is still only about 5% faster than the tiny ZyXel.

There are plenty to chose from but I was impressed with how the ZyXel performed.

Running some cable in to your room will probably be inexpensive but if you have a decent desktop a good USB adaptor will do the trick provided you don't have a lot of walls in the way.

If there are a lot of obstructions and if the signal is a long way away, then wired would be better.

8 minutes ago, Stocky said:

I use a powerline network rather than cables, works fine for me.

http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/cat-18_TL-PA4010KIT.html

I bought mine from InvadeIT

i would love to use powerline in all honesty. but i live in an apartment and im afraid that i will get bad speeds due to the fact that their is a circuit board and there are 40 rooms with 40 meters.