Privacy issues when using Google

advancebooking

The following article is interesting if you have ever thought about privacy issues when using Google whilst your based in Thailand. 

https://www.propublica.org/article/google-has-quietly-dropped-ban-on-personally-identifiable-web-tracking

The most important paragraph is:

''To opt-out of Google's identified tracking, visit the Activity controls on Google's My Account page, and uncheck the box next to "Include Chrome browsing history and activity from websites and apps that use Google services." You can also delete past activity from your account.''

I clicked on the link and its asking me to sign in. I have never created a Google account but I have a gmail account. Does this mean that Google is not tracking my user activity?

15 hours ago, Chicog said:

Then you have a Google Account.

But if you never sign in and it was originally created at a different location presumably they are just collecting "anonymous data" - ie they have no identity to put to it other than the ip address?

15 minutes ago, topt said:

But if you never sign in and it was originally created at a different location presumably they are just collecting "anonymous data" - ie they have no identity to put to it other than the ip address?

If you're on an Android phone you are generally signed into Google.

The easiest way to confirm is just to open Gmail.

10 hours ago, Anthony5 said:

When I exit Big C I used to get a message on my phone that said, should take about 10 minutes to get home, <deleted> hate it.

Yes, Google Now I think it is; always tells me how long it's going to take me to get to work, along with the route.

Hasn't worked out in a year that I always stop off in my satellite office first.

43 minutes ago, Chicog said:

If you're on an Android phone you are generally signed into Google.

The easiest way to confirm is just to open Gmail.

No hab gmail! - the phone was originally set up for someone else

If I go into gmail or google setting it keeps asking me to sign in with either a new or existing account

Edited by topt
addition

1 hour ago, topt said:

This is a valid point. I have a gmail account but when I clicked on one of the links in that article the google page suggest that I have to log in to change the settings. Thus, if Im logged into gmail but NOT logged into google then can I presume that they are not tracking my data? Can anyone confirm this??????

I strictly separate what I do on my Android phone (where it is unavoidable to share data and leave traces) and on my Comp.

I never use gmail or chrome on Comp, mostly duckduckgo as search engine (poor results though) and Europe-based tutamail.com, where you don't need a phone number to register, as my web based email address