Haul of fake whisky seized in Chiang Mai

webfact

Haul of fake whisky seized in Chiang Mai

p4.jpg

Picture: Sanook

There is nothing like a drom of Ballantine's - and this batch proves the point

CHIANG MAI: -- Chiang Mai police conducted a sting operation in the city on Sunday after reports that a man was producing fake whisky jn the San Sai area, reports Sanook.

They waited at a downtown hotel after a deal was struck with Julakan Klatcharoen, 29, to buy 96 bottles of Ballantine's for 74,400 baht.

When the fake booze was handed over Julakan was arrested and police found all the evidence they needed at his makeshift factory in San Sai district.

He was charged with contravening two laws dating back to 1950 regarding makjng counterfeit products.

The arrest was made following complaints from the real whisky makers.

Source: Sanook

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2016-10-25

1 hour ago, Pib said:

Good to see Thailand making its monthly counterfeit product arrest....good for another month.

Selective policing. Ask the Cannibas King. Its like buying a winning lottery ticket. Point out to them the error of their ways and fact that they should make merit right there in the police station. Works every time. You get a free amulet with each donation. 

Edited by elgordo38

I usually buy Red Label at the local 7/11 and it always comes with plastic dispenser in the neck of the bottle, however I bought a bottle last week from my local pop shop and there was no plastic in the neck, which made me wonder if it was koshe or not?

Buy less popular (among Thais, at least) brands, preferably those with more distinctive taste (or ones which you are familiar with and will recognize as fake). If you can't tell the difference, no harm done....probably.

On October 25, 2016 at 1:30 PM, vogie said:

I usually buy Red Label at the local 7/11 and it always comes with plastic dispenser in the neck of the bottle, however I bought a bottle last week from my local pop shop and there was no plastic in the neck, which made me wonder if it was koshe or not?

Dispenser or not, all fake.  Good luck

14 minutes ago, Grubster said:

Dispenser or not, all fake.  Good luck

What, even fake at 7/11? Just bought a bottle of Pastis from one of the alcohol shops, this is definately real, takes me back to when I lived in France.

On 10/25/2016 at 8:26 AM, SweatySock said:

74,400 baht for 96 bottles equates to 775 baht per bottle. A visit to Tesco's would have been a better option.

I dont think that the intention was to actually buy the whisky though , it was a police sting , so the price agreed doesnt matter

1 minute ago, vogie said:

What, even fake at 7/11? Just bought a bottle of Pastis from one of the alcohol shops, this is definately real, takes me back to when I lived in France.

I don't know but I wouldn't trust anything expensive to be real in SE Asia. Sounds like you found some good stuff. Hard to trick a man who can tell the difference.