Extreme Drought Thailand/us South

mbkudu

A co-worker of mine just returned from Alabama vistiting relatives. He said their fields are bone dry and the farmers have not been able to plant anything. It is the worst drought they have had since the 70s. I wonder if Thailand's drought is from the same weather pattern or is it just a coincidence?

might be because of the latitude simalirity between the southern coast and the lat. of thailand is about the same,within about 5 degrees.

I really don't know,,maybe do some checking and see if it is going on all the way around at this lat.

A friend of mine lives north of Birmingham, Ala. and he says it is the worst he's seen in many years, he blames it on the global warming, the ice melting on the north pole, El Ninia and all that other stuff, oh I forgot he mentioned the greenhouse effect too. Rianed a little here in Bkk. this morning but I think just enough to jam the traffic in the city and make commuting more miserable..

El Nino and it's ugly twin sister La Nina have opposite effects on each side of the Pacific. So, when its El Nino SE Asia has serious drought and Central America has terrible flooding. La Nina causes drought in Central America and serious flooding in SE Asia. Although El Nino and La Nina are basically tropical disturbances that move along the equator they obviously affect weather patterns further north and south of the equator. I haven't heard of an El Nino starting up but then maybe the media has other things to hype besides El Nino.

If you want a more complete description of El Nino here is UC San Diegos website.

If you want a really complicated description of why there isn't an El Nino this year here's the link to the US National Weather Service: NOAA

Most likely its just global warming :o

It is the worst drought they have had since the 70s. I wonder if Thailand's drought is from the same weather pattern or is it just a coincidence?

Same phenomenon here in Europe where the water stock is at its lowest level since ever.

Since a douzain of years, the few biggest multinational companies are buying water sources everywhere in the world. The idea is that water will be a greater value than petrol in only 5 years...

:o