Tourism overtakes dairy as New Zealand's top overseas earner

webfact

Tourism overtakes dairy as New Zealand's top overseas earner

By NICK PERRY

WELLINGTON, New Zealand (AP) — In New Zealand there are twice as many cows as people, but it's the hobbits that are really making hay.

According to figures released Wednesday, tourism has overtaken dairy as the nation's top earner of overseas dollars. And tourism officials say the success of the fantasy movie trilogy "The Hobbit" has helped.

The dairy industry is struggling to recover from a slump in prices, while a record 3.4 million visitors arrived in New Zealand in the year ending September. The Pacific nation is particularly popular among tourists from Australia, China and the U.S.

Spending by international tourists was up by 20 percent in the year ending March when compared with the previous year, according to Statistics New Zealand. That follows a 17 percent rise the year before.

Kevin Bowler, the chief executive of Tourism New Zealand, said people were drawn to New Zealand by its spectacular landscapes and its outdoor lifestyle. The hobbit movies showcased some of that scenery and were heavily marketed overseas.

"The result was a heck of a lot of interest in New Zealand," he said.

One survey showed 16 percent of tourists cited the movies as influential in their initial interest in New Zealand.

Directed by Peter Jackson, "The Hobbit" trilogy built on the success of his earlier, critically acclaimed trilogy, "The Lord of the Rings." The six movies earned a total of nearly $6 billion at the box office.

Bowler said planned increases in flights from the U.S. and growing economies in Asia boded well for the future. The challenge, he said, would be providing enough accommodation and ensuring tourists can savor their individual experiences.

The industry got another boost this week when "Lonely Planet" named the relatively unknown Taranaki region as a place to visit in 2017. The travel guide noted an offbeat gallery there dedicated to the late artist Len Lye.

John Matthews, who chairs the Len Lye Foundation, said he was "surprised and delighted" with the inclusion.

But while tourism is booming, income from dairy products has fallen by 22 percent over the past two years, Statistics New Zealand says.

Dairy farmer Jessie Chan-Dorman, who runs 950 cows on her farm near Christchurch, said most dairy farmers have been losing money in recent years as prices for milk powder have hit record lows.

That's due to softening demand in China for premium infant formula coupled with a glut in the worldwide supply.

Prices have begun rising again but Chan-Dorman said she remains cautious about whether that will last. It will take several years for most farmers to recover their losses, but she said she hopes many built more resilient businesses as a result.

Some farmers are cashing in on the tourism boom by offering home stays or hunting trips.

New Zealanders have long been outnumbered by their farm animals. With a population of 4.7 million people, the nation is also home to 29 million sheep and 10 million cows. And zero hobbits, of course, unless you count those on the big screen.

ap_logo.jpg
-- © Associated Press 2016-10-26

10 hours ago, Grouse said:

New Zealand is a great place to go if you're bored; it makes you realise that you weren't REALLY bored ?

ha, i grew up on a farm there and i had a pretty good time. if i can ever sell up everything here i am going to take my kids back to grow up there as well. problem for me is not boredom its the size of the heifers.

6 minutes ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

ha, i grew up on a farm there and i had a pretty good time. if i can ever sell up everything here i am going to take my kids back to grow up there as well. problem for me is not boredom its the size of the heifers.

I was just being facetious! Never been but quite fancy the skiing and The Lord of the Rings stuff!

Just now, Grouse said:

I was just being facetious! Never been but quite fancy the skiing and The Lord of the Rings stuff!

i did my fist 20 years there but am glad i got to spend the last 10 years in thailand to start my family. if it wasnt for the climate i could be happy to live out the rest of my days there, life is good as long as you dont have a big mortgage which pretty much every one seems to have.

2 minutes ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

i did my fist 20 years there but am glad i got to spend the last 10 years in thailand to start my family. if it wasnt for the climate i could be happy to live out the rest of my days there, life is good as long as you dont have a big mortgage which pretty much every one seems to have.

So sorry it's your last 10 years ?

10 hours ago, Grouse said:

New Zealand is a great place to go if you're bored; it makes you realise that you weren't REALLY bored ?

N Z is great if you like the outdoors, not so much for culture, though there are the Maori cultural shows in a few places. Most places are pretty dead by 10 pm. Absolutely no nightlife equivalent of what is in Pattaya, anywhere.

The cities have the usual problems that arise from allowing the car to take over everything. Outside the cities, public transport is pretty pathetic. There is no equivalent of Thailand's cheap rail and bus travel, unfortunately.

The best way to get around, especially given the outrageously high accommodation costs is in a rented campervan, but don't think you can park anywhere and poo in the bushes. Big trouble for anyone doing that.

IMO NZ takeaway food is the best I've had anywhere. Fish and chips to die for. All cooked while you wait- none of that precooked crap drying out under the heat lamps like in London.

5 minutes ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

Housing and rent costs are causing a huge crisis in NZ and the government is hiding it's collective head where the sun don't shine. IMO going to be BIG problems sooner or later. 

8 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Housing and rent costs are causing a huge crisis in NZ and the government is hiding it's collective head where the sun don't shine. IMO going to be BIG problems sooner or later. 

housing costs are a problem anywhere interest rates are low encouraging people to borrow more to buy. nz government  recently bought in new strict lending rules requiring a 20% deposit on residential purchase and 40% deposit on purchasing  investment property. quite a good move to slow down raising property prices. when i was in oz they had the same problem so they started giving first home buyers grants which pushed prices up even faster. they keep doing studies to determine why many people will never be able to afford to buy in australia but they never blame themselves for driving up the prices. 

1 minute ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

housing costs are a problem anywhere interest rates are low encouraging people to borrow more to buy. nz government  recently bought in new strict lending rules requiring a 20% deposit on residential purchase and 40% deposit on purchasing  investment property. quite a good move to slow down raising property prices. when i was in oz they had the same problem so they started giving first home buyers grants which pushed prices up even faster. they keep doing studies to determine why many people will never be able to afford to buy in australia but they never blame themselves for driving up the prices. 

Yes, they were forced to do something, but they have done nothing to stop rents going up to unaffordable levels. It's the first time NZ families have been forced to live in cars.

15 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Yes, they were forced to do something, but they have done nothing to stop rents going up to unaffordable levels. It's the first time NZ families have been forced to live in cars.

we may all love the artificially low interest rates but they come at a cost. increased debt on more expensive properties and more people living without housing are probably 2 of the biggest problems.

As someone who intends to return there soon, I fear I can never own my own home again. I have some options, so all is not doom and gloom, but my first preference would have been a small house. Mostly, though, I'm looking forward to living in a country where people make a major effort to do things right, and corruption (which I'm sick to death of here) is minimal, and the police and government officials are mostly very obliging folk. At least they were on my last visit home 4 years ago :) -  life, where I intend to live, will be relaxed and gentle, except for the odd earthquake.

6 hours ago, ilostmypassword said:

Where are there artificially low interest rates?

pretty much every western country including nz. the rate was recently cut again to help the dairy farmers. it is now at 2% which is barely over inflation. lucky banks dont have to rely on people depositing money with them to lend back out because the return is so low bank deposits give a very low return.

9 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Big problems sooner, the cracks are more than showing.

17,000,000baht entry level for first home buyers, frightening. 

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=11737165

9 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

N Z is great if you like the outdoors, not so much for culture, though there are the Maori cultural shows in a few places. Most places are pretty dead by 10 pm. Absolutely no nightlife equivalent of what is in Pattaya, anywhere.

The cities have the usual problems that arise from allowing the car to take over everything. Outside the cities, public transport is pretty pathetic. There is no equivalent of Thailand's cheap rail and bus travel, unfortunately.

The best way to get around, especially given the outrageously high accommodation costs is in a rented campervan, but don't think you can park anywhere and poo in the bushes. Big trouble for anyone doing that.

IMO NZ takeaway food is the best I've had anywhere. Fish and chips to die for. All cooked while you wait- none of that precooked crap drying out under the heat lamps like in London.

The time warp was cancelled here a number of years ago.

Central Auckland remains open until well past the wee small hours and you can indulge in street fighting on vomited pavements as club patrons make their exodus, if that floats you boat.

Prostitution is legal in NZ and South Auckland would be your magnet, Manurewa Train Station could be a start.

Don't expect examples of Asiatic beauty or femininity, East German shot-put physiques spring to mind.

Edited by Paul Catton
link insertion

3 hours ago, Paul Catton said:

Big problems sooner, the cracks are more than showing.

17,000,000baht entry level for first home buyers, frightening. 

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=11737165

The time warp was cancelled here a number of years ago.

Central Auckland remains open until well past the wee small hours and you can indulge in street fighting on vomited pavements as club patrons make their exodus, if that floats you boat.

Prostitution is legal in NZ and South Auckland would be your magnet, Manurewa Train Station could be a start.

Don't expect examples of Asiatic beauty or femininity, East German shot-put physiques spring to mind.

I hope you wrote that tongue in cheek.

Which is why I specifically said MOST places. Auckland is NOT NZ, and most people in NZ try not to think of it anymore than they have to, especially when trying to just get through the place on the abomination of a motorway. Try looking for something to do in Mt Maunganui after 10 pm, one of the so called premier tourist areas.

Having  a few brothels is not the same as Pattaya's bar scene.

If one enjoys whale watching, it's probably a pretty good destination though.

41 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I hope you wrote that tongue in cheek.

Which is why I specifically said MOST places. Auckland is NOT NZ, and most people in NZ try not to think of it anymore than they have to, especially when trying to just get through the place on the abomination of a motorway. Try looking for something to do in Mt Maunganui after 10 pm, one of the so called premier tourist areas.

Having  a few brothels is not the same as Pattaya's bar scene.

If one enjoys whale watching, it's probably a pretty good destination though.

No tongue in cheek at all.

"Most places are pretty dead by 10 pm" is really too broad a statement to make to interpret that you really meant other destinations aside from the Gateway to the Nation.  

Auckland like Bangkok is a great tourist stop for a few days before sampling the other regions.

As Mt Maunganui has casually been thrown into the pot, here's an example http://www.ikandi.co.nz/ but I doubt they and others have promotional cards on the countertops in the motor camps.

On a pro rata basis between services available versus actual patronage, wouldn't be at all surprised if NZ isn't punching well above its weight.

Edited by Paul Catton

3 minutes ago, Paul Catton said:

No tongue in cheek at all.

"Most places are pretty dead by 10 pm" is really too broad a statement to make to interpret that you really meant other destinations aside from the Gateway to the Nation.  

Auckland like Bangkok is a great tourist stop for a few days before sampling the other regions.

As Mt Maunganui has casually been thrown into the pot, here's an example http://www.ikandi.co.nz/ but I doubt they and others have promotional cards on the countertops in the motor camps.

On a pro rata basis between services available versus viable patronage, wouldn't be at all surprised if NZ isn't punching above its weight.

LOL. I checked out your link, and it would be cheaper to travel to Thailand for "fun" than to use that service for more than a quicky, given by their hourly rate. It was a better deal when prostitution was illegal. Pattaya wins that one.

I have been to the Mount at night, and it's like a plague wiped out most of the human race after 10 pm. I'm not talking about Waikickamoocow, but I am referring to a town that is supposed to be a tourist destination. It's not even as if the tv is anything worth looking at, with interminable ads seemingly every five seconds.

I am not saying that NZ should be like Pattaya or London, but don't expect night time entertainment to be a significant part of a holiday there.

The scenery is indeed spectacular.

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

LOL. I checked out your link, and it would be cheaper to travel to Thailand for "fun" than to use that service for more than a quicky, given by their hourly rate. It was a better deal when prostitution was illegal. Pattaya wins that one.

I have been to the Mount at night, and it's like a plague wiped out most of the human race after 10 pm. I'm not talking about Waikickamoocow, but I am referring to a town that is supposed to be a tourist destination. It's not even as if the tv is anything worth looking at, with interminable ads seemingly every five seconds.

I am not saying that NZ should be like Pattaya or London, but don't expect night time entertainment to be a significant part of a holiday there.

The scenery is indeed spectacular.

Just so hard to please some people, cake, eat and then want more:thumbsup:

13 hours ago, Dexlowe said:

As someone who intends to return there soon, I fear I can never own my own home again. I have some options, so all is not doom and gloom, but my first preference would have been a small house. Mostly, though, I'm looking forward to living in a country where people make a major effort to do things right, and corruption (which I'm sick to death of here) is minimal, and the police and government officials are mostly very obliging folk. At least they were on my last visit home 4 years ago :) -  life, where I intend to live, will be relaxed and gentle, except for the odd earthquake.

looks like i have to sell on of my 2 bed single story units in chch. 200k nz$ in richmond. still affordable by many standards.

8 hours ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

pretty much every western country including nz. the rate was recently cut again to help the dairy farmers. it is now at 2% which is barely over inflation. lucky banks dont have to rely on people depositing money with them to lend back out because the return is so low bank deposits give a very low return.

Law of supply and demand. If a country or corporation has no problem selling bonds at a low rate, why would they want to sell them at a higher rate?

1 hour ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

looks like i have to sell on of my 2 bed single story units in chch. 200k nz$ in richmond. still affordable by many standards.

Not if your job is in Macdonalds etc. Real jobs are disappearing fast as mechanization and automation takes over. Farming and the timber industry used to employ most, but few work on farms now and machines harvest the trees.

The crisis is not yet here, but it is coming. The influx of returning Kiwis from Oz without much hope of employment may be the trigger, unless it's in the prison industry as Oz deports NZ criminals it no longer wants to keep incarcerated.

49 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Not if your job is in Macdonalds etc. Real jobs are disappearing fast as mechanization and automation takes over. Farming and the timber industry used to employ most, but few work on farms now and machines harvest the trees.

The crisis is not yet here, but it is coming. The influx of returning Kiwis from Oz without much hope of employment may be the trigger, unless it's in the prison industry as Oz deports NZ criminals it no longer wants to keep incarcerated.

dam, are things really that bad?

1 hour ago, ilostmypassword said:

Law of supply and demand. If a country or corporation has no problem selling bonds at a low rate, why would they want to sell them at a higher rate?

the free market of supply and demand is not setting the interest rate. governments are artificially keeping rates low to try to stimulate the economy. there are some serious side effects however.

51 minutes ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

the free market of supply and demand is not setting the interest rate. governments are artificially keeping rates low to try to stimulate the economy. there are some serious side effects however.

If the government has no problem finding takers for its bonds at such low interest rates, how does that constitute setting the rate artificially low?  Would you rather the government offer bonds at a higher rate than it has to?  That's what I would call an artificially high interest rate?

10 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Not just the timber industry, but horticulture in all its aspects, plus fishing etc etc etc.

8 hours ago, ilostmypassword said:

If the government has no problem finding takers for its bonds at such low interest rates, how does that constitute setting the rate artificially low?  Would you rather the government offer bonds at a higher rate than it has to?  That's what I would call an artificially high interest rate?

except increasing the money supply will depress interest rates. and that is what is happening