Dozens of villagers kidnapped and executed in Afghanistan

webfact

Dozens of villagers kidnapped and executed in Afghanistan

606x341_347847.jpg

GHOR: -- Villagers bury the dead in the remote Afghan province of Ghor, the apparent victims of a kidnapping and execution that officials blame on the so-called Islamic State.

According to police up to 30 civilians, most of them shepherds were were shot dead in a revenge attack after the killing of an ISIL commander.

The bodies were found on Wednesday morning following a militant attack on villages near the provincial capital of Firoz Koh.

The provincial governor said the attacks were the work of a former Taliban unit which had defected to ISIL.

If confirmed, it would be evidence of the militant group’s reach, which until now had been largely confined to the eastern province of Nangarhar.

euronews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Euronews 2016-10-27

I saw the story of a married journalist couple being abducted there before 911 I think. She was repeatedly raped in front of him while he was skinned alive. That was all I needed to know of this country. I can see how one man could be this sick, but a large group is another thing. Should have nuked them when they allowed the training of terrorists there, sending a message to the world that knowingly allowing terrorism to flourish will not be tolerated by the east or the western powers.

1 hour ago, Grubster said:

I saw the story of a married journalist couple being abducted there before 911 I think. She was repeatedly raped in front of him while he was skinned alive. That was all I needed to know of this country. I can see how one man could be this sick, but a large group is another thing. Should have nuked them when they allowed the training of terrorists there, sending a message to the world that knowingly allowing terrorism to flourish will not be tolerated by the east or the western powers.

Should have sprayed the entire country with agent orange IMHO.

5 hours ago, Kiwiken said:

To think Afghanistan was a progressive Country in the 1960's now a third world Country heading for the Dark ages. All in the twisted name of a Deity

I'm completely ignorant on the subject of Afghanistan and so wonder whether it has any strategic importance?

Did the USSR invade the country purely to bolster the communists there?  Similarly, did the USA get involved purely to inflict a defeat on the USSR?

Either way, the USSR and USA involving themselves ended up backfiring as the religious zealots took control in a country left decimated by war?

I've no idea why the hatred of Western countries seems to have subsequently accelerated (although sending in troops against them wouldn't have helped...), which is why I'd be interested to read informed opinions on the subject.

12 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

I'm completely ignorant on the subject of Afghanistan and so wonder whether it has any strategic importance?

Did the USSR invade the country purely to bolster the communists there?  Similarly, did the USA get involved purely to inflict a defeat on the USSR?

Either way, the USSR and USA involving themselves ended up backfiring as the religious zealots took control in a country left decimated by war?

I've no idea why the hatred of Western countries seems to have subsequently accelerated (although sending in troops against them wouldn't have helped...), which is why I'd be interested to read informed opinions on the subject.

This is a reasonable starting point

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Great_Game

In the days of the British Raj in India the British went 3 times into Afghanistan. 3 times they got a hiding. Never been a safe place but did come into the 20th century for a short time. Govt at the time asked for Soviet assistance. USA trained the Mujahadeen. Many who later joined the Taliban (Teachers). The rest is history. The Country is a failed state and nothing we do will change that. It is infected by the Fundamentalist disease.

1 hour ago, Grouse said:

And, as always, Flashman is a great guide to the key points in our history:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flashman_(novel)

If anyone on TV has not read the Flashman Papers, be warned; you will not stop until you have read them all! Fabulous!

32 minutes ago, Kiwiken said:

In the days of the British Raj in India the British went 3 times into Afghanistan. 3 times they got a hiding. Never been a safe place but did come into the 20th century for a short time. Govt at the time asked for Soviet assistance. USA trained the Mujahadeen. Many who later joined the Taliban (Teachers). The rest is history. The Country is a failed state and nothing we do will change that. It is infected by the Fundamentalist disease.

The USA enabled the mujahideen to defeat the Soviets by supplying Stinger SA missiles. The mujahideen morphed into the Taliban. Always good to remember the history! Ever see the movie Charlie Wilson's War? Doesn't look so clever now.....

Edited by Grouse

5 hours ago, Grouse said:

You can also try reading "The Game of Nations" by Copeland. That book was used by one of my college political science professors who taught international relations and who was also a former CIA analyst.  Copeland was a rather conservative chap, but he gives a good insider view of how he and others like him play the game.

https://www.amazon.com/Game-Nations-Amorality-Power-Politics/dp/0671205323

5 hours ago, Grouse said:

The USA enabled the mujahideen to defeat the Soviets by supplying Stinger SA missiles. The mujahideen morphed into the Taliban. Always good to remember the history! Ever see the movie Charlie Wilson's War? Doesn't look so clever now.....

indeed. who funded jihadi extremism, and along with that, a staggering heroin production rate in the last 15 years.

12 hours ago, Grouse said:

Is that correct? My understanding is the US supported mujaheddin actually morphed into the Northern Alliance and some other groups, not the Taliban. From recall the Taliban, supported by ISI in Pakistan, initially received support from the local population as they took on the warlords in a process to stop corruption and abuse of civilians, until the Taliban themselves became the abusers.