TM30 seems to be a nice litte earner.

Saan

I just renewed my retirement extension and to do so had to come up with a TM30 - a notification of an alien's address. My less than happy landlord had to pay a 1600 baht fine as did the wives of two friends who went for 90 day reports and needed to provide the form. One had a yellow book and the other had his name, together with his wife, on the deed to his house. Neither were impressed.

Given that there are 400,000 to 500,000 (a guesstimate) expats in Thailand and presumably many would be in the same boat and not previously had a TM30 this would spell out a nice little money earner for the Thai Government coffers to the tune of hundreds of millions of baht in fines.

43 minutes ago, stament said:

Why did the landlord and wives have to pay fines?

Apparently the onus is on them to notify immigration. I believe they also must notify immigration if you stay elsewhere overnight - what a nightmare.

Sad part is that as far as I have heard Chiang Mai is the only one interpreting this older law

in this fashion & handing out fines. Has anyone heard from other areas doing this?

Edited by mania

5 minutes ago, mania said:

Sad part is that as far as I have heard Chiang Mai is the only one interpreting this older law

in this fashion & handing out fines. Has anyone heard from other areas doing this?

Many people on the Chiang Mai Forum (and probably threads) hear what they want to hear and understand something they read according to what they want to believe.

14 minutes ago, hml367 said:

Many people on the Chiang Mai Forum (and probably threads) hear what they want to hear and understand something they read according to what they want to believe.

Could be but I have no idea about what you just typed 555

So are you saying it is being enforced in all of Thailand now?

Just curious as it has no bearing on me personally

If you know, you will have to pay the 1,600 Baht, why not check into a Hotel and spend the night out. 500 Baht for Hotel and 1,100 Baht for dinner. You can even bring your wife!?.

Then go to Immigration 1-2 days later and do the TM30 for your normal address.

It's probably best to keep the receipt from the Hotel, because you don't know, if they do the TM30 reporting.  

7 minutes ago, mania said:

Could be but I have no idea about what you just typed 555

So are you saying it is being enforced in all of Thailand now?

Just curious as it has no bearing on me personally

You asked if this rule was being enforced in offices other than Chiang Mai... Look at that thread and you can see what people have been saying about that since last year.

21 minutes ago, lj cm said:

If you know, you will have to pay the 1,600 Baht, why not check into a Hotel and spend the night out. 500 Baht for Hotel and 1,100 Baht for dinner. You can even bring your wife!?.

Then go to Immigration 1-2 days later and do the TM30 for your normal address.

It's probably best to keep the receipt from the Hotel, because you don't know, if they do the TM30 reporting.  

Sounds like a good idea. Has anyone done it, does it work?

1 hour ago, mania said:

Chiang Mai, as far as we know, is the only immigration Office dragging out old rules, aka the 70's, and throwing up road blocks for everythting we have to do to stay legal.

On the last few nights over time we have stayed away for a night it was noticeable that the receptionist preferred my wifes id rather than my passport. Guess its saves them paperwork.

I base this opinion on friend and former colleagues advice who reside in Bangkok, Phuket ,Hua Hin and Jomtien and simply do no have problem.Imm is a breeze according to them and how it should be.  

3 hours ago, mania said:

I was saved by the bell. Just before going for my extension I went to the condo office and got them to make out a resident letter. Last year they ignored the letter and gave it back to me this year a whole new meaning. Seems like every visa extension you must provide some proof of residence. One long term owner here did not provide one and bang a fine. They article 44 you in a sense. 

Several years ago immigration asked my wife to fill out TM 30, she had never heard of it, I had. There was no fine and no problem. She goes with me when I do extension of stay, brings blue book, copy there and sign. Oh and yak a bit with the ladies at immigration, one of the young ones is from her village. So far so good, who knows what next year will bring. If you are an expat, plan for the worse, hope for the best. Oh and when I am away for 24+ hrs. I don't fill out the form and often stay in a no tell motel. Lao next month, nope not doing anything other than doing the necessary paper work at immigration.

Tricksters using hidden old guns with new bullets. No one knows F/A about any TM 30. Or even what is it. What the Thai says. New Yamaha ?

Prayut can use some of his TV to promote it. Give Prompt Pay a rest. No one's paying promptly Mr P. I filed mine 6 weeks late to late now son it's done. I gave the slip and they update address on computer. I made agent fill and sign. .I not paying nothing. Not my issue is just a falang on a multi :)

10 hours ago, CNXBKKMAN said:

Sounds like a good idea. Has anyone done it, does it work?

Your departure card will be used as evidence..same for your yellow book..I did it the day after returning from USA...she looked at yellow book...and I confessed.  No halving the penalty for confession, either.  Their English is poor back in the interrogation room, so that may account for mixed signals...but they told me if I just went to bkk or cr...no report necessary.

Funny this, in my condo at the office they tell me not to worry about it , nothing will happen . I gave them the forms from immigration but not sure if they reported me .   Around 10% of us are foreigners in this condo . 

Edited by balo

6 hours ago, balo said:

Funny this, in my condo at the office they tell me not to worry about it , nothing will happen . I gave them the forms from immigration but not sure if they reported me .   Around 10% of us are foreigners in this condo . 

Ask your condo office for a receipt or evidence they submitted a TM30 for you.  My condo office does a "print screen" when they enter the data and I put that sheet of paper into my passport.  You can also go out to the Imm. office near the airport and go to the building behind the visa extension building and ask them to check if there is a current TM30 on file for you, also.

9 hours ago, MadMac said:

So now they tell you to go to BKK? 555....amazing Thailand 

If you check into a hotel and give them your passport, they'll make a copy and submit the TM30 on-line.  Been standard practice of hotels and guesthouses for years.  Big ones and ones in tourist areas, anyway.

11 minutes ago, true blue said:

Would not at all be surprised that this tm30 malarkey is a bit of karma by cnx imm to get back at the unfair comments and actions by certain members of TV  in the past. There like elephants in the memory stakes Thais  face and all that

The self-proclaimed "old-timers" haven't figured that out yet.  This ain't Kansas (or London, or Montreal, etc.)

19 minutes ago, true blue said:

Would not at all be surprised that this tm30 malarkey is a bit of karma by cnx imm to get back at the unfair comments and actions by certain members of TV  in the past. There like elephants in the memory stakes Thais  face and all that

55555  ^^^^^

and at that seminar ,last friday

the head honcho, of the Immgr Dept retired after a very short attendance, is further proof that, any unfair comments etc etc ( as seen by them)are   hindering  any broken ground to be made,

in  receiving    a good Immgr  service here in C/mai

they can.t see, past their noses, that  the Immgr Dept Of Thailand  hold all the aces, and very rightly so

its a Gatlin Bros, nice mid morning to all

On ‎27‎.‎10‎.‎2016 at 9:52 AM, Saan said:

Apparently the onus is on them to notify immigration. I believe they also must notify immigration if you stay elsewhere overnight - what a nightmare.

If they don't like the law, work to change it.

In the meantime, it is indeed the law, and thinking it is silly is no defence.

With 20 or 30 ? million foreign visitors a year that immigration processes, a set of procedures that is highly inefficient but keeps them busy doing the same thing again and again, I can't imagine the Immigration dept spends much time looking at forum in a foreign language on the fringes of the Internet.

Well, I need to fill out the TM 30 and the POA (Power of Attorney) forms because I have two friends who want to stay in my condo one month for free, while I am in Belgium. That is why I need a POA to give my thai friend.

BUT both the first page of the TM30 as well as the POA docs are like a puzzle to

me ! I have no idea what to fill in and have been looking for days to find an example or filled out models of these documents so I can see what exactly to fill in.

I'm not a retard of some sort but on the POA doc... first part is about the owner given power of attorney. That is clear BUT then the prob starts. District, province etc... do I (as the condo owner) need to fill out my Belgian address on that, because I am in Belgium and do not live in Thailand ?

Once I have seen what to fill in on those docs I understand, but so far I haven't and I have beem combing the internet for days on end to see "what" to write or in best case SEE an example of a filled out one

Power-of-Attorney-Form.pdf

4 minutes ago, oldies1 said:

Well, I need to fill out the TM 30 and the POA (Power of Attorney) forms because I have two friends who want to stay in my condo one month for free, while I am in Belgium. That is why I need a POA to give my thai friend.

BUT both the first page of the TM30 as well as the POA docs are like a puzzle to

me ! I have no idea what to fill in and have been looking for days to find an example or filled out models of these documents so I can see what exactly to fill in.

I'm not a retard of some sort but on the POA doc... first part is about the owner given power of attorney. That is clear BUT then the prob starts. District, province etc... do I (as the condo owner) need to fill out my Belgian address on that, because I am in Belgium and do not live in Thailand ?

Once I have seen what to fill in on those docs I understand, but so far I haven't and I have beem combing the internet for days on end to see "what" to write or in best case SEE an example of a filled out one

Power-of-Attorney-Form.pdf

Today's edition ofProfiles In Courage:  The Expat Hard Way Club...Your JP would probably do the whole gambit for you for 500 THB.  If you are so unfamiliar with the form; it would appear that you haven't done one, either.  Depends on your Province, but there are reports of foreign condo owners not being allowed to report tenants, because that would implicate them as working in property management, which is a prohibited activity (without a WP).