Honda CRF 250L

ad61

1 hour ago, William Osborne said:

... so the tubes will pull apart once the top cap is open ?..... 

Once the top cap is undone gold part drops down and you then remove top cap from rod running down fork ,17mm and 14 mm spanner needed ,then yep give them a sharp pull to get them apart.

• Like 1

On 1/2/2017 at 3:53 PM, drift said:

1483244114975.jpg.96845c7fb6f5bfbc560fc3

Would you mind saying where you bought the fork boots? That's a good idea using those. I'd like to do that to mine.

Thanks

On Jan 3 papa ordered these gaitors off EBay,

$10 shipped,

arrived today.

fork gaiters.jpg

About 1/8" neoprene.

Can be turned printing inside.

Edited by papa al
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, papa al said:

On Jan 3 papa ordered these gaitors off EBay,

$10 shipped,

arrived today.

fork gaiters.jpg

About 1/8" neoprene.

Can be turned printing inside.

Yep they are exactly the same as mine ,can get with Honda,Yamaha,Kawasaki or acerbis logo...shop I got mine from only had Yamaha or Kawasaki logo in stock......hence why I ended up with Yamaha:)

Installation some people have them so they are covering the whole of the lower fork leg,I prefer just having 3-4 inch covering the lower fork.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I don't have a CRF yet but I want one. It seems like the best bike for Thailand because it can do a bit of everything. With dirt roads everywhere, it seems like a great choice. It can do everything that a motorbike can (Click, PCX) and a lot more. And it's not even that expensive. 

I also watched the Steph Jeavons video. Impressive. 

3 hours ago, Goldbear said:

I don't have a CRF yet but I want one. It seems like the best bike for Thailand because it can do a bit of everything. With dirt roads everywhere, it seems like a great choice. It can do everything that a motorbike can (Click, PCX) and a lot more. And it's not even that expensive. 

I also watched the Steph Jeavons video. Impressive. 

I have mine for sale under 3000 kms 90000 baht

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Goldbear said:

I don't have a CRF yet but I want one.  It can do everything that a motorbike can (Click, PCX) and a lot more. 

Haul a box of beer & your beagle between your feet.?

• Like 1

That looks great. How did the Dunlop 604s do? They seem like a decent compromise. 

Edit: do you have another photo that shows how your stuff is attached to the rear of the bike? Thanks. 

Edited by Goldbear
Added a question.

Thanks Taninthai. Those 604s seem like they might be a good choice for the riding that I want to do most of the time. Regarding your stuff, zooming in on the photo, I sort of see how you have it attached. You must have some pretty good straps. 

Thanks for the video and photos of your trip. It reinforces my desire to get the CRF. It's just so versatile. I'd like to do some traveling around Thailand like that. 

The only thing that I didn't like about the crf when I rented one was that I thought it was a bit noisy. Oh well. I will deal with it.  

There is 4 hook points to hook your binge cords to,,,I would probably recommend getting a rear rack fitted ,they are easily installed on the bike and give you a flatter wider base for your bags......noise I always have ear buds inwhen on longer trips to lessen the wind and engine noise.

• Like 1

Is it a good bike? Anybody own one and could give me some comment (good/bad).

I live in the sticks in the southern province of Ranong and I'm looking for a bike to have fun with in the area. I've been quoted 139'000 bht for it, it is worth the money?

Thank you for the feedback.

Hi,

Is it worth the money : yes

Is it a good bike : Yes and no

It's a good bike in the way it's one of the few dirt bikes available in Thailand, the price is fair and it does the job.

Its not a good bike because of its lack of power, lack of power when you're on dirt roard / lack of top speed when you'r on regular roads.

This always made me feel like if i was driving a tractor, huge impressive bike but nothing much when you throttle.

Now that's my experience and i'm sure people had better experiences, i could not read all the previous pages to be honest ;)

Edited by Pepper9187

I'm interested.

Seriously tempted to buy one of these new 17 models. Subtle improvements over previous models. 140k is excellent value for money, and about 25 odd % cheaper than the price in the West.

I test rode a 2-3 y/o one a few weeks ago. Bog stock bar fat bars and risers and a copy full FMF/Akra ex system. Stock sprockets. Great in town and quite impressive on the main road for what it is.

Also, impressed by reports like in thaninthai's posts above. Looks like they can hack a 100 km p/h cruising speed all day long.

The only drawback for me is handing money over to the Big Corporate Red H. Never done that before. In my Life.

• Like 2

having gone the new bike route before, now my next purchase will be second hand from a falang owner.  You still get the bike you want but for less $$$ and if you do your shopping right it will have all or most of the mod cons you want to add.

Yes there is piece of mind when you buy new...but that also comes with a price tag.

The CRF i had cost 140k new and I added about 60k worth of accessories,  for that price/cost I could have purchased a second hand CB500X with mods.  Sure different bike but a bit more ummph to go with it.  Even nowadays you can get a kitted out CRF for under 100K.

2 hours ago, thaiguzzi said:

Also, impressed by reports like in thaninthai's posts above. Looks like they can hack a 100 km p/h cruising speed all day long.

The only drawback for me is handing money over to the Big Corporate Red H. Never done that before. In my Life.

Last year ran cheap LifanX200 from Nong Khai to Korat.

DS tires & taller sprockets, can do100-110+.

Light DS bikes are good choice.

Versatile. Not expensive.

CLR, KLX, whatever.

Fit appropriate sprockets for highway or enduro riding.

Sprockets are cheap.

Or just stay stock.

It's all good.

I was running 2 teeth up on rear sprocket and 1. Tooth smaller on the front,,,,,but for this trip I put the original front sprocket back on.....with the smaller front sprocket I find you are revving to high at cruising speed ,,,,the Speedo would show 150 at full throttle in reality you are probably.  hitting 120-125,,,also the smaller sprocket ment you have the throttle twisted round just that little bit more to cruise at 100 to 110 kph and it makes it uncomfortable on your wrist.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, CMKiwi said:

I really don't want to say it but a Lifan is really not in the same league as a Honda.

I'm not a snob or a brand follower but I will always call a spade a spade when it's due.

I would never compare a Honda with a chinese knockoff bike. Sure initially you may  save some coin but the difference between both is huge in relation to everything.

You get what you pay for...and in my current life I don't need problems.

"Knock-off"?

You are aware Lifan sells more motorcycles worldwide than Honda?

Sorry if you have has poor experience with that "spade" brand.

"I would never compare a Honda with a chinese knockoff bike."

...he writes, ...as he does exactly that.

"in my current life I don't need problems."

Perhaps you need problems in a past or future life.?

Thanks for your amusing commentary.

There are two things putting me off buying one.

1. I've been patiently waiting 18 odd months for the right big air cooled single to turn up on the S/H market. To no avail.

Suzuki DR650, Honda XR650L, any Yamaha 500 to 660, even an XT 500 (i wish!). Hell, even a DRZ400, but nice ones have either been supermoto style with 17" rims and sticky tyres or off road ones, too much money and tatty in appearance, ie a money pit waiting to happen.

Sod's Law, and my luck, i buy a CRF250L, and the following week, a nice DR650 shows up on B&S for 125k, the following week a nice Yamaha TT600. A bit like waiting for a bus, none arrive, then all of a sudden 3 shop up in quick succession...

2. The yet to appear Yamaha T7. If this thing comes on the market @ 375 lbs or less than 170 kgs, has no electronics, rider aids, ride by wire blah blah, engine mods from the street version, ie cams, ecu throttle bodies to reduce bhp to say 50-60  but increase low to medium torque noticeably , and i've bought a CRF, i'm gonna be pretty pi$$ed.

• Like 1

To judge by what little info is out there, and a quick look at the calendar - I imagine it will be full of electronics. The world nowadays seems to need this as a mark of 'newness' or 'sophistication'  And as the curb weight of the CRF is 144kg hoping that is is less than 170kg seems doubtful.

I like my 2017 CRF - it does exactly what I bought it for - and I run 17's. Knobbies never been on the road. For street bikes I have other, better suited rides. One size fits all ends up fitting nobody.

• Like 1